A bit of help for AAJ

A Lark Ascending

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not kidding. Mike never even e-mailed me to let me know it was going to happen. This is my last post in its entirety...

Mike,

This is your board, and I respect that. I tip my hat to you for all of the hard work that you do and all that you have done for jazz. You should take pride in your hard work.

HOWEVER...

Of all of the people to ban, I gotta think Deep was at the bottom of the list. Yes, he takes it pretty far out there. But he was always good for a laugh, and when he wanted to be serious, he's good for a few great points on jazz history and it's key players. He's played with a lot of heavies, and that makes him an invaluable resource. He gives people a lot of grief, but he gives people a lot of joy, however, as well.

what else is there to say?

I hate to jump on the free speech bandwagon on this one, but damn. And I was probably amongst the first 10 people at that board too, you know?

Guest WINGY (I STAY BOMBED)

It's a shame that the Jazz Prudes got the Jazzers blown out over there.

For sure the dialogue will be more civil and light but the syntax and subject matter will also be just as light and humorless.

The place is now doomed to failure.

Dan (DEEP) is a friend of mine, but he does go overboard, and the latest example of that was his ongoing, incredibly boring, and--to me--inexplicable series of posts ridiculing Marc Edelman of Sharp9 Records. Edelman and I have had a run-in or two over the years, during which he was extremely insulting, but that did not make Dan's offensive any more acceptable to me.

I posted a few times on the thread in question, but mostly in an effort to discourage the endless exchange between Dan and Patricia (Still Life)--it didn't work, they were like Disney's water-bearing brooms, they just kept coming at us like a loop, splashing AAJ with meaningless, repetitive posts.

I think Michael should have stepped in sooner, but he did the right thing.

It's really a shame, because Dan does have a great sense of humor and his knowledge of early jazz and its recorded history is impressive.

I'm just curious as to what purpose the IGNORE LIST option served over there.

Any thoughts??

One of our biggest strengths here on this board is the fact that we are close knit and know each other very well.

We have the freedom to tease each other as well as compliment each other without sounding maudlin.

This is all wonderful.

However...

Don't let it also be our weakness. We have to keep open doors to new members with new thoughts and personalities and ideas.

Imagine what it must be like for a new member to enter our halls...they see a very tight community and they might not feel that they belong. They might also feel inhibited about expressing their personalies and ideas, especially if it might run counter to the prevailing Zeitgeist.

We should welcome everybody.

The world works that way. If someone gets out of line then they can be jumped (and they most likely will,) but I don't want an antiseptic and narrowminded world. I'd much prefer to be banished to poster hell than stay in a hypocritical and narrowminded bulletin board. We aren't that way now; let's not strive to be so.

Peace.

I'd like to know who the tenor soloist was on the version of the Odd Couple theme that DEEP recorded w/the Miller band.

DEEP has informed me that the tenor player was the late great Bob Crea from St. Paul, Minn. He played with Buddy Rich's band later on. During his liftetime he was a serious Junkie and by this time (April 1970) he was on the prog with Methadon.

He had a lotta JUG in his playing.Not sure when he died but it was from a heart attack while he was doing his laundry. I think DEEP said he died in the 1980's.

WINGY

One of our biggest strengths here on this board is the fact that we are close knit and know each other very well.

We have the freedom to tease each other as well as compliment each other without sounding maudlin.

This is all wonderful.

However...

Don't let it also be our weakness. We have to keep open doors to new members with new thoughts and personalities and ideas.

Imagine what it must be like for a new member to enter our halls...they see a very tight community and they might not feel that they belong. They might also feel inhibited about expressing their personalies and ideas, especially if it might run counter to the prevailing Zeitgeist.

We should welcome everybody.

The world works that way. If someone gets out of line then they can be jumped (and they most likely will,) but I don't want an antiseptic and narrowminded world. I'd much prefer to be banished to poster hell than stay in a hypocritical and narrowminded bulletin board. We aren't that way now; let's not strive to be so.

Peace.

Very well put Conn!

I had some problems in the beginning here, too! But it's really full of very nice people around here, so that's not a great issue! Just needs some time.

The reason I took some time is that I was quite new to the BNBB when it went down, far from being online daily, then, rather more of a lurker. Then here, everybody seemed to know each other, so I needed some time to feel at home here (but I really do feel at home, now!)

Keep it comin' :tup

ubu

Danny, good to see you here. :tup

B-3er,

I'm new to this place in a way but I recently got this boot of Gene Ludwig, Randy Gilespie and Pat Martino.

It was recorded live at the Kentucky Club, Louisville, Kentucky 1969.

There is a tune (Martino Original) - minor blues....that is the best Bebop Guitar solo I've ever heard.

I imagine Breshnev has it but do you or any of the other members know the title of that tune? I've got to cop it if it's commercially available or in any of the Real Books.

WINGY

I think I know the tune. I think he may have recorded it back in the 70s on Muse and then again recently on a tribute to Charles Earland with Joey DeFrancesco. It's called "On The Stairs". It IS a bad tune.

Check out the Tower Records website and listen to the "On The Stairs" sample and see if that's the one you're talking about. It's hard to tell since the sample doesn't have the head in it, but the form is the same (obviously).