Can anyone recommend any classical saxophone?

blind-blake

I just heard some classical saxophone samples by Claude DeLangle and he sounds amazing. Can anyone recommend his or any other classcial saxophone recordings? Thanks in advance.

John Harle is a saxophonist who is mainly associated with the classical/film music world. His recent discs seem to be heavily weighted in the film/TV music direction.

There's a discography here:

http://www.johnharle.com/johnharle/discography.html

Most of the classical is contemporary classical. I have the Nyman/Bryars/Westbrook disc. Haven't played it for a long time. There's a disc of music by Debussy, Glazunov, Ibert, Villa-Lobos, Richard Rodney Bennett and Dave Heath on the list that might be what you are looking for. Though I suspect its OOP.

You can hear saxophone used in some of Vaughan Williams' music. 'Job, a Masque for Dancing' and one or two of the later symphonies. Doesn't sound a bit like jazz sax - quite eerie.

No offense, Bev - I hate John Harle's playing.

To me, Music for Saxophone by the Rascher Saxophone Quartet is the finest readily-available classical saxophone recording. This Donald Sinta recording is an excellent solo sax-with-piano recording.

Not readily available is Sigurd Rascher's early-50s album A Classical Recital on the Saxophone. If you see it for an affordable price, grab it!

And Bev, hope we're still buds!

something modern that I really love:

saxophone_225.jpg

Saxophone

(2002)

Music by Philip Glass

The Rascher Saxophone Quartet

Andrew Sterman, saxophones

The Philip Glass Ensemble Woodwinds

Yes!! I heard his "saxophone concerto" on the radio once and it blew me away. I've been meaning to find that one!

For some modern stuff, try this, intriguing music!

0752156013624.jpg

Love a couple of these guys! Will definitely check this out. Thanks!

Interesting. I like the samples of some of the older stuff. Thanks again!!!

I just heard some classical saxophone samples by Claude DeLangle and he sounds amazing. Can anyone recommend his or any other classcial saxophone recordings? Thanks in advance.

John Harle is a saxophonist who is mainly associated with the classical/film music world. His recent discs seem to be heavily weighted in the film/TV music direction.

There's a discography here:

http://www.johnharle.com/johnharle/discography.html

Most of the classical is contemporary classical. I have the Nyman/Bryars/Westbrook disc. Haven't played it for a long time. There's a disc of music by Debussy, Glazunov, Ibert, Villa-Lobos, Richard Rodney Bennett and Dave Heath on the list that might be what you are looking for. Though I suspect its OOP.

You can hear saxophone used in some of Vaughan Williams' music. 'Job, a Masque for Dancing' and one or two of the later symphonies. Doesn't sound a bit like jazz sax - quite eerie.

Yeah, the Debussy, Glazunov, Villa-Lobos sounds right up my alley. I'll be on the lookout! Thanks Bev.

To me, Music for Saxophone by the Rascher Saxophone Quartet is the finest readily-available classical saxophone recording. This Donald Sinta recording is an excellent solo sax-with-piano recording.

Not readily available is Sigurd Rascher's early-50s album A Classical Recital on the Saxophone. If you see it for an affordable price, grab it!

Just bought the Music for Saxophones. Thanks man!

Edited by blind-blake

Saxophone

(2002)

Music by Philip Glass

The Rascher Saxophone Quartet

Andrew Sterman, saxophones

The Philip Glass Ensemble Woodwinds

Yes!! I heard his "saxophone concerto" on the radio once and it blew me away. I've been meaning to find that one!

This is MELODIES FOR SAXOPHONE for solo saxophone, quite beautiful and CONCERTO FOR SAXOPHONE (QUARTET VERSION).

I wish Glass would write more chamber music like this.

these guys are great:

http://www.arte-quartett.com/

they do modern "classical" stuff, but also various projects with other musicians, such as Pierre Favre, and they form four fifths of the sax section of Kaspar Ewald's great band (called Exorbitantes Kabinett), which plays music somewhere between Don Ellis, James Brown and minimal music... I have two of those discs and have checked them out live - recommended, but not classical (although Ewald - who teaches at the Zurich conservatory - has also adapted "L'homme armé" for that band).

another thing I've heard by the Arte Quartett was a concert where they collaborated with Terry Riley - utterly fascinating stuff!

though if any of this fits the label "classical" is somewhat doubtful... but then "classical" doesn't really apply to much composed music of the 20c anyway... I am always at a loss how to call all these kinds of musics...

Phil Niblock also did a few pieces for saxophone - that's extreme music, your neighbours will love it (and your dogs will suffer even worse...)

I only have the one disc, which would suggest that he's not exactly excited me. Just mentioned him because he's well known - had quite a high profile here in the late 80s.eearly 90s but I've not heard much fuss about him in rrecent years.

So, dont worry, I won't have a strop, Jeff! (One of those smiley things)

I also recommend Glass' Saxophone Quartet Concerto (orchestral version).

If you like the modern stuff (lots of dissonance) these two by the Rascher Quartet are good: Europe & America

Something a little jazzier is Michael Colgrass' Urban Requium for 4 Saxophones and Wind Orchestra.

Thanks man! The Colgrass stuff sounds great. I'm off to check out his samples at Amazon.

As for Fred Frith, the Arte Quartett also collaborated with him:

FRED FRITH AND ARTE QUARTETT

STILL URBAN

THE BIG PICTURE

Beat Hofstetter soprano sax

Sascha Armbruster alto sax

Andrea Formenti tenor sax

Beat Kappeler baritone and alto saxes

Fred Frith electric guitar

WITH SPECIAL GUESTS (on The Big Picture)

Lucas Niggli: drums, percussion

Katharina Weber: piano

Intakt CD 155 & 156

The one with Pierre Favre is the only one of these I actually own, it's mighty fine!

Pierre Favre. Arte Quartett with Michel Godard

Saxophones

Pierre Favre: Percussion

Michel Godard: Tuba, Serpent

Beat Hofstetter: Soprano Saxophone

Sascha Armbruster: Alto Saxophone

Andrea Formenti: Tenor Saxophone

Beat Kappeler: Baritone Saxophone

Intakt CD 091

Finally, there's one more on Intakt, with Lucas Niggli's Zoom:

Lucas Niggli ZOOM Meets Arte Quartett

Crash Cruise

Nils Wogram: trombone, melodica, voice

Philipp Schaufelberger: guitar

Lucas Niggli: drums, percussion

Beat Hofstetter: soprano- and tenorsax

Sascha Armbruster: alto-, soprano- and tenorsax

Andrea Formenti: tenor- and sopranosax

Beat Kappeler: bariton- and sopranosax

Intakt CD 130

• 2 weeks later...

ContemporarySaxophone.jpg

the Contemporary Saxophone

Renewing the Myth, for saxophone & piano

Composed by Marilyn Shrude

with Marilyn Shrude, John Sampen

Images, for saxophone & tape

Composed by Milton Babbitt

Divertimento

Composed by Charles Wuorinen

In Two Worlds

Composed by Morton Subotnick

looks like it's OOP!

more minimalism

UlrichKriegerWallsofSound.jpgUlrichKriegerWallsofSoundII.jpg

Ulrich Krieger - Walls of Sound

James Tenny, John Cage, Joseph Celli, Phill Niblock.

Ulrich Krieger - Early American Minimalism: Walls of Sound II

Philip Glass, Steve Reich, Terry Riley.

Edited by 7/4

two from Terry Riley, I always thought that most of his music wasn't even very minimal. More like he's heavily influenced by his studies of Hindustani raga and rag time piano.

RileyChantingtheLightofForesight.jpgRileyAssanReverie.jpg

Terry Riley - Chanting the Light of Foresight (with the ROVA Saxophone Quartet)

Terry Riley - Assassin Reverie (with the ARTE Quartet)