4th Ward Afro-Klezmer Orchestra

jeffcrom

The awkwardly-named 4th Ward Afro-Klezmer Orchestra, led by Roger Ruzow and in which I play alto, bari, and clarinet and write some of the music, has just been selected as Best Local Jazz Act by the critics of Creative Loafing, our local entertainment/nightlife paper. Given how lame the jazz scene is in Atlanta, this is a little like being called the smartest kid in the remedial class, but we'll take it.

We have a CD coming out in a few weeks, and our next gig is at Eyedrum Gallery on Saturday, October 3.

Props to the Bonaventure Quartet, a very fine Django/Hot Club-style group, for winning the Loafing readers' poll in the same category.

Edited by jeffcrom

I know that BBS's by their very nature are about as old school as it gets when it comes to teh interwebz, but c'mon people, do at least one of the following (and I am only irritated because, as blind-blake said, an Afro-Klezmer Orchestra that is truly both sounds like something I need to hear like yesterday):

(I don't mean to self promote, I'm just showing how it's done. Mr. Crom, please use this as a template)

1) "hey guys, check out my myspace page!"

2) "hey guys, check out my CD on rhapsody!"

3) or, if you're really slick, put your video, audio and mailing list together and try this one: "hey guys, check out my reverb nation page!"

Any way you do it, I'm not getting down to Atlanta any time soon, but I'll buy a CD of some bad ass Africa meets Klezmer music any day! So, let me hear it, mang!

Edited by jazzypaul

Is it actually a mix of African and Klezmer? If so, I gotta hear it!!!!

Our stuff is touched by Klezmer, Afro-pop, and free jazz, sometimes overtly, sometimes subtly. I was reluctant to post a link to our website because it wasn't really up to date the last time I checked. But I just looked, and our webmaster has been busy. So check it out - news, reviews, pictures, and sound clips. And you've got to admit that "Greater Lagos Wednesday Night Talmud Meeting" is a cool name for a tune.

Is it actually a mix of African and Klezmer? If so, I gotta hear it!!!!

Our stuff is touched by Klezmer, Afro-pop, and free jazz, sometimes overtly, sometimes subtly. I was reluctant to post a link to our website because it wasn't really up to date the last time I checked. But I just looked, and our webmaster has been busy. So check it out - news, reviews, pictures, and sound clips. And you've got to admit that "Greater Lagos Wednesday Night Talmud Meeting" is a cool name for a tune.

Were/are you also in the Gold Sparkle Band? I noticed that your current groups features members of GSB. I loved that Nu Soul Zodiac CD. And yes, that is a GREAT name for a tune!!!!

Were/are you also in the Gold Sparkle Band? I noticed that your current groups features members of GSB. I loved that Nu Soul Zodiac CD. And yes, that is a GREAT name for a tune!!!!

No, but the leader of the 4th Ward AKO is Roger Ruzow, the trumpet player for Gold Sparkle. They got their start in Atlanta in the early 90s. When Charles Waters and Andrew Barker, the other key members of Gold Sparkle, moved to New York a while back, Roger stayed in Atlanta for health/personal reasons. I'll tell him you like Nu Soul Zodiac.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I didn't intend to make today Jeff's shameless self-promotion day, but East Atlanta Passover Stomp, the new CD by the 4th Ward Afro-Klezmer Orchestra, was delivered today. It looks good and sounds pretty good - not perfect, but pretty good. Fifteen US dollars will get you a copy sent anywhere in the world, postage included. Paypal to jeffcrom(at)bellsouth.net or PM me if you want to pay another way.

Clips and other info at our website.

This short feature appeared in today's Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

• 1 month later...

For the couple of people who wanted to know -

Atlanta's 4th Ward Afro-Klezmer Orchestra will be playing:

This Saturday, November 21 at around 10:00 - Highland Inn Ballroom (CD release party!)

Saturday, December 12 (9:00-ish) at Kavarna in the oh-so-trendy Oakhurst neighborhood

Sunday, December 20 starting at 3:00 PM at Eyedrum Gallery - part of a memorial concert for artist/filmaker Thomas Peake. There is a rumor that this will include a second-line parade from Oakland Cemetery. If so, I'll be squealing some New Orleans-style clarinet.

Edited by jeffcrom

• 3 weeks later...

For what it's worth, East Atlanta Passover Stomp by the 4th Ward Afro-Klezmer Orchestra has been reviewed by AAJ.

I'll immodestly point out the the saxophone solo on "Dolgo Horo" that is mentioned is not by Ben Davis on tenor sax, but is played by me on alto. But I also play a dog of a solo on another track (I'm not telling which one) where I took one for the team - it was the best take except for my lousy solo, so we used it.

My further immodesty compels me to point out that "Red Rat" and "Ninth Ward Dirge" are my compositions. "Red Rat" is big-band thrash metal, more or less; the Dirge was written right after Katrina, and is my lament for the people of New Orleans at that time.

The album is not without flaws, which it was nice of the reviewer to overlook, but it does have a lot of spirit. You can get a copy here or here - or just PM me.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Another mention of our strange little jazz/klezmer/Afropop band; kind of meaningless, but still welcome - we are #41 on Atlanta Magazine's list of 67 Things Every Atlantan Must Do. There's no free link (the digital edition costs 99 cents), but here's what they say:

"41 - Catch the surprising sounds of the 4th Ward Afro-Klezmer Orchestra. The euphoric mishmash performed by this up-and-coming ensemble can begin with the brassy bounce of Eastern European klezmer, then segue into slinky jazz heavy on Fender Rhodes keyboards before dabbling in Fela Kuti-inspired Afro-pop. On East Atlanta Passover Stomp, 4WAKO's CD released in November, Jewish musicality anchors the sound, though on tracks such as "9th Ward Dirge," it startles to realize how fluidly such klezmer can meld with jazz idioms - in this case a New Orleans funeral lament."

Personally, I think that hearing local blues legend Luther "Houserocker" Johnson at Blind Willie's is more of a must than catching the 4WAKO, but we'll take it. And it looks like I've done about half the things on the list, for what it's worth.

• 6 months later...

"Yemenite Tanz," the new single from the 4th Ward Afro-Klezmer Orchestra, is available for download from Amazon. This is our version of an old Jewish Yemenite tune. I am responsible for the arrangement and alto sax solo. I've been so close to the writing, recording, mixing, and mastering that sometimes I can't hear anything but the flaws, but I hope some of you might enjoy it.

For those who would prefer a physical issue of this, it will probably be issued as one side of a 7" record in the not-too-distant future.

• 2 months later...

A track by our little jazz/klezmer/Afropop band was chosen by writer/producer Marc Weidenbaum for inclusion on Anander Mol, Anander Veig, a Hannukah dance/electronica remix project. You can hear the destruction/reconstruction of our "Ose Shalom" here. I think I heard a note I played somewhere in there. But I like it. "Ose Shalom" is the fourth track; you can listen to the tracks individually or download the entire album for free.

Edited by jeffcrom

• 8 months later...

I don't know if there are any O forum members in the Savannah area, but the 4th Ward Afro-Klezmer Orchestra is playing a gig at the Sentient Bean there this Saturday, August 27 at 8:00 PM. We're opening for Shonali Bhowmik, of Tigers and Monkeys, if that means anything to anyone. I've got a new tune, "Doina Blues," which we'll probably be debuting. Come out if you're in the area.

I probably should have posted this earlier, but I fully expected that this gig would be canceled due to the hurricane. It looks like Irene will inflicted its wrath elsewhere, so - good for Savannah, sorry for elsewhere.