Mad for Mad Men Corner

Possibly the best show this season, in my estimation.

I wonder if Roger is going to live out the season? It seems as if they're setting us up for an incident. . . .

My secret hope is that Don will can that lazy Art Director, and Sal will reappear.

Don is getting sloppy.

By far the best episode.

I'm wondering if this is a turning point for Don and the drinking.

I'd also like to see Sal come back,..... but Lucky Strike is still a client.....

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it was a good episode, though not IMO quite as good as last week's. I thought Don's celebration over his award was drawn out a little too much. I mean, spending a drunken, debauched weekend celebrating an award for what - a floor polish ad? Of course, (now it hits me) that's one of the points of the program isn't it - the extremes to which people go over such trivial things, and the utter pointlessness and foolishness of it all in the end.

I keep wondering when one of these guys (Roger perhaps?) is going to be diagnosed with a terminal disease. It wouldn't surprise me if the Lucky Strike guy is found to have lung cancer. Wasn't it around '64 or '65 that the U.S. government officially linked smoking and cancer? (though the link had been known long before that). So it all fits the time line of the program. The excessive drinking and smoking has got to catch up with at least one of these guys soon.

Edited by John Tapscott

Yes, it was a good episode, though not IMO quite as good as last week's. I thought Don's celebration over his award was drawn out a little too much. I mean, spending a drunken, debauched weekend celebrating an award for what - a floor polish ad? Of course, (now it hits me) that's one of the points of the program isn't it - the extremes to which people go over such trivial things, and the utter pointlessness and foolishness of it all in the end.

I keep wondering when one of these guys (Roger perhaps?) is going to be diagnosed with a terminal disease. It wouldn't surprise me if the Lucky Strike guy is found to have lung cancer. Wasn't it around '64 or '65 that the U.S. government officially linked smoking and cancer? (though the link had been known long before that). So it all fits the time line of the program. The excessive drinking and smoking has got to catch up with at least one of these guys soon.

Right. I've been expecting one of them to bite the dust for some time. Roger strikes me as an imbecile, how can someone with his health record continue boozing and smoking like a teenager. Don is a very sad guy, teetering on the edge of alcoholism. I wouldn't expect him to live past his mid fifties. Great show though.

I stayed up last night and watched the 12:30 a.m. rerun on AMC--third time I've seen the episode, and it just hit me even harder this time around, even knowing what was coming. Right up there with "5G" and "The Wheel" from Season 1 and "The Gypsy and the Hobo" from Season 3 as one of the most moving episodes this show has done yet.

Another excellent episode. Don's diary has added another layer of meaning to ponder. Especially liked the scene when Peggy gives the arrogant little Joey his comeuppance, and the following scene in the lift which might serve as a lesson into the inscrutable psychology of women, and their complex relations with one another !

Really was about the females last night. From Sally to Miss Blankenship and almost everyone in between. Loved the closing shot of Joan, Peggy, and Faye in the elevator.

And did anyone notice how hard-hit Roger was by Ida Blankenship's sudden death? Not just the reminder of his mortality (though partly that of course) but also, I think, the fact that he once had a dalliance with the "queen of perversion."

Great episode last night. Don was incredible. ( :tup Jon Hamm, magnificent performance). Waiting for Roger to implode. It seems inevitable.

I know they're into historical accuracy but I was wondering if in a Playboy club in '64 you'd have heard a piano trio as relentlessly modal as that one seemed to be? '68 maybe, a few years after Tyner left 'Trane, and all that had become more mainstream, but I would have thought that in '64 the music would have been more along the lines of the Bill Evans or Ahmad Jamal or Red Garland trios, espcially in a Playboy club, which was not a hard-core jazz club.

Edited by John Tapscott