Mad for Mad Men Corner

I think the deciding factor for Don really was Megan's assured, relaxed way with the kids. Faye, you recall, couldn't really deal with the kids, as well as knowing his secret.

It was interesting how, at the end, Betty really didn't like hearing that he was getting married. Emotionally right, but more than a little unfair, in that she got married the minute the divorce went through (in fact, meeting Francis was the main reason she was so eager to get divorced.) But perhaps she doesn't want Don to settle down and find some happiness. Besides, when he was still running around with bimbos it allowed Betty to talk trash about him. With Don respectably married she might have to shut up. Although one does wonder how long it will be before Don starts cheating on Megan.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm hoping this is just bullshit.

I guess it is. Seems as though we definitely have at least two more seasons and this is now being reported.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Hamm-Mad-Men-Contract-1034467.aspx

Still in the middle of season 2 here in Japan and now understand what all the fuss is about, engrossing stuff. Not sure what it says about me, but I can really identify with the Don Draper character, despite (or perhaps because of) all his flaws.

• 2 months later...

Johnny-Come-Lately that I am, I only recently started watching via Netflix. I am absolutely in LOVE with this show. The writing is top notch, the acting is consistantly excellent (to me, the actress who plays Betty (January something?) is the weakest actor in the cast, although her look is amazing, and she seems to warm up over the course of the first season), the set and costume design are spectacular...

I just started season two (love Kinsey's Wellesian beard) and am really digging it. One thing that I haven't seen discussed a lot is the way the show really digs into the major themes and tropes of the period. One of the things I love about Don Draper is that he literally IS the "superflulous man": The hard working, post-war American male who is constantly in crisis over his identity; always suspecting that there's something more than the Eisenhower era American Dream he'd worked so hard to attain. Literally every protagonist on "The Twilight Zone" is an example of this character. Don has so much invested in appearing to be in control that he's always two steps from losing control completely. His "identity crisis" on the series (the fact that he really is NOT the man he appears to be) mirrors the more general identity crisis of his peers. ALL of these characters are in the process of inventing themselves, or at least attempting to do so. Don isn't the only imposter, so to speak. If anything, his impostiture makes him one of the most paradoxically honest characters on the series. At least Don knows exactly what he's running from. I think this is why Bert Cooper didn't give a shit when Pete tried to expose Don.

So, yeah. Meaty stuff! Food for thought, as well as entertainment.

• 2 years later...

First half of the final season is nearing the end. (Don't get me started!)

Surprising season so far. I love the 2001 references in the last two episodes. I'm enjoying seeing Don straighten up a little bit and was so surprised he accepted that offer to return with it's potentially hazardous stipulations. But that is what makes it an exciting show.

Surprising season so far. I love the 2001 references in the last two episodes. I'm enjoying seeing Don straighten up a little bit and was so surprised he accepted that offer to return with it's potentially hazardous stipulations. But that is what makes it an exciting show.

What were the 2001 references?

as you probably do, lon, i own every season and seem to watch the series up to this season about twice a year. last and this season seem to find weiner going further and further out. in both good and odd ways. i mean, remember ken cosgrove's eye patch tap dance? when that went down it struck me as being very 'twin peaks'. not that i'm complaning, just saying. i sometimes wonder if the swan song of the series will be don throwing himself off the building and floating down slow mo a la the opening montage...

and then there's michael ginsberg's nipple removal gift to peggy... http://www.vulture.com/2014/05/psychiatrist-analyzes-mad-mens-ginsberg.html

What were the 2001 references?

The computer as monolith, the convesation that Ginsberg watches from outside the computer room, a few others.

http://www.vulture.com/2014/05/mad-men-kubrick-2001-homage-lip-reading.html?mid=twitter_vulture

Edited by jazzbo

as you probably do, lon, i own every season and seem to watch the series up to this season about twice a year. last and this season seem to find weiner going further and further out. in both good and odd ways. i mean, remember ken cosgrove's eye patch tap dance? when that went down it struck me as being very 'twin peaks'. not that i'm complaning, just saying. i sometimes wonder if the swan song of the series will be don throwing himself off the building and floating down slow mo a la the opening montage...

and then there's michael ginsberg's nipple removal gift to peggy... http://www.vulture.com/2014/05/psychiatrist-analyzes-mad-mens-ginsberg.html

Did Ken have the eyepatch when he did the amphetamine tap dance? But yeah, there's usually a goofier episode each season. I have all the seasons on Blu-ray and have seen them all more than twice.

Weiner has said more than once in interviews that Don is not going to be falling down from the building. But. . . you never know.

It took me 5 attempts to make it all the way through season 1 of this show, I made it through the first couple episodes of season 2 and just gave up. I think I'll just watch paint dry instead, I think I might find it more interesting.

Interesting. I was fascinated with the show from the start, but didn't like any characters. I learned to love the writing and production values though, and it has gotten better and better imo, which is rare for tv shows.

I blame the characters, I really have a hard time watching a show if I can't identify (or at least tolerate) the main characters. With no characters to dig into I get bored and tune out.

To be honest I didn't like Breaking Bad the first time I tried to watch that one either, it took a second attempt many months later before it finally clicked with me.

Interesting. I was fascinated with the show from the start, but didn't like any characters. I learned to love the writing and production values though, and it has gotten better and better imo, which is rare for tv shows.

My opinion too. At first I was a little skeptical - I thought it was enjoyable "style without substance" (indeed, the show was kind of marketed that way). But I thought it improved a lot over time. By the 3rd season I was hooked.

Not that anyone cares but my favorite characters are Roger and Peggy. As TtK says most of the characters exist in a grey zone.

Edited by Guy

It took us forever to start watching it (it's just been the last two weeks that we've watched a first-run episode in real time on AMC...COMMERCIALS!!!!!), but I was hooked the first time I did. I almost chose advertising as a career out of high school, just because I could see even then how much unlimited fun and reward there was in creating truth based on lies based on the truth that people gonna believe something, and have wants as a result, so why not this, and why not me to make the money doing it? That, and the more you lie to everybody, the more they all believe you (and/or in you), even if their belief takes the form of a disbelief - you still got 'em right where you can still use 'em. But instead of that, I chose music education to major in, and then actually playing to actually do, and now, just a regular day gig, so hell, the only real difference is that I didn't get that money, which sure, those who also didn't get it say, "well, that's for the best, it would only fuck you up like it does everybody!" but really? That money still got gotten, it's not like if I didn't make it then nobody would. Hell, I didn't sell my soul for the money, but I sure as hell sold my money for my soul, and I don't know but that a fairer and/or harder bargain shouldn't have been made.

Anyway, love the show, everybody's an evil asshole except when they're not, and then they're not. Until they are again.If there's anybody about whom that's not the ultimate truth, the difference being in the proportion, not in the being, then hello world that does not exist, does not.

Has Don Draper ever not been damaged goods? That's kinda been like the basic premise from jump, eh?

Has Don Draper ever not been damaged goods? That's kinda been like the basic premise from jump, eh?

I think we are all damaged goods to a certain extent and there is a bit of Don in all of us. Quite a lot in me to be honest!

Anyway, like most here, I love Mad Men.

Roger (John Slatery) is my favorite. And I love to watch Trudy (Alison Brie).

AB, amazing/funny/beautiful actress.

Amusingly, my fiancee and I were getting lunch a few months ago and JS and his teenage son (who was typically teenagery) were there too. I wasn't listening too closely but I think JS was pestering this kid about his supposedly terrible taste in music.