Mad for Mad Men Corner

I realize there's been some discussion of this show in the "What Are You Watching?" thread, but I've gotten so badly hooked--and this from watching only the first half of Season 1 so far--that I wanted to start it as its own topic. My TV watching has been pretty limited in recent years by choice--I never even really got on board the Sopranos train (and I realize this program has a connection...Matthew Weiner used to write for The Sopranos, correct?) When "Mad Men" debuted in 2007 I read an article about it in the NY Times and was very intrigued, in part because my mother-in-law worked at J. Walter Thompson's in NYC during the late 1950s and early 1960s. Somehow I never got around to watching it, though. This past summer she started to watch and talk about it, and after Amazon put Seasons 1 and 2 on sale for $18 apiece, I bit and bought...and man, just on the basis of the first 6 episodes alone I have to say it's some of the most amazing, haunting television programming I've ever seen. (And as BruceH commented, highly addictive... the DVDs came Thursday, and I watched three episodes Thursday night and then three more last night.) The writing and acting is so excellent that I feel empathetic for the characters even as they're periodically infuriating me. You feel like saying "You poor, f'd-up bastards, what are you doing?" It's like a brilliant, sophisticated, very well-done soap opera.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that the show is excellent in many ways, but I can't relax and enjoy the "rat pack" like behavior of the men and don't even find the women characters appealing. I'm not surprised I feel this way, and it really mars my enjoyment of an otherwise excellent show. Draper just becomes seedier and seedier to me and more repellent.

I DON'T feel empathetic with the characters, that's the rub for me. More power to those that do, that's the missing element that would put me over the top in enjoyment, but I just can't or won't.

I won't foul the waters of this thread with lots of posts as obviously this is an unpopular opinion. :) I'm still watching it, still feeling conflicted about it, enjoying it a bit less episode by episode.

Edited by jazzbo

I like it, especially from a visual perspective. The lighting in the office scenes has that oversaturated look of 1950s - 60s color film.

The characters may be bastards, but at least they have a sense of style and fashion. The assholes today are just as bad, if not worse, and they don't know how to dress.

The rat pack aspect of the era is a big part of what I like about that time.

I've gradually gotten drawn in to the show over time- I love the "period" aspect, an interesting presentation of culture/attitudes/fashion/design of that time. I liked Elisabeth Moss as Zoey Bartlet in West Wing and I find her MM character Peggy Olson very entertaining. Some really interesting and striking characters in this show- it's fun to see Robert Morse (from "How to Succeed in Business...") again, haven't seen him for years.

I can understand where not everyone would like the show, but I find it quite entertaining and I'm a fan. :)

Ghost---if you haven't finished Season 1 yet, you've got a treat in store!

I recently reviewed Seasons 1 and 2 on Netflix and and got into the show even more than before. Seeing the episodes close together, in proper order, and without missing some parts (which I occasionally did when they were originally broadcast) really brings home how good the series is. I'm really tempted to buy Season 1.

"It's subtle...but potent."

Edited by BruceH

Ghost, have you seen "Shoot" yet? That's the episode in Season One where Betty tries to revive her old modeling career. A real gem of an episode, and notable also because it's a bit more "stand alone" than most and it's directed by Paul Feig, the creator of the "Freaks & Geeks" show.

It's up on next on my parade through Season 1--just finished watching episode #8, "The Hobo Code," late last night. Hoping to perhaps work in "The Shoot" tonight after the latest Season 3 episode airs. Caught the rerun of last week's show, "Guy Walks Into an Advertising Agency," this afternoon as part of the marathon... Man, beware of riding mowers in the office! :ph34r:

Edited by ghost of miles

I recorded the marathon today, thanks for the tip! Saving it until after season 2.

Ghost, have you seen "Shoot" yet? That's the episode in Season One where Betty tries to revive her old modeling career. A real gem of an episode, and notable also because it's a bit more "stand alone" than most and it's directed by Paul Feig, the creator of the "Freaks & Geeks" show.

That's the one that I applauded from my couch.