Mad for Mad Men Corner

Well acted, but that's where I lost any sense that Don was a decent person. And that began to change my perception of the whole show!

It's a good show, but I'm not as enthusiastic about it all as most everyone else posting seems to be. Wonder how many more seasons it will have.

We get it Lon! 'The Sopranos' was one of the best tv shows ever made but the main characters were not exactly choir boys. Anyway, 'Mad Men' sounds like a great series, personally I love anything with a 'rat pack' vibe.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first moment of doubt (plausibility issue) after watching "The Wheel," the finale to Season 1 last night. The carousel scene is great, lives up to what I'd heard about it...but what gives with Peggy's sudden pregnancy and delivery? Yes, I knew she'd been gaining weight for a number of episodes, and I wondered if that might be what was going on--but just out of the blue, suddenly she's in the hospital and delivering? Wouldn't she have noticed or been worried about what was going on with her body for several months? Unless I missed something, there hadn't been any allusion to anxiety on her part about missing her period, etc. (That combined with the weight gain would surely induce some major concern.) I suppose you could speculate that the thought of possibly being pregnant freaked her out so much that she was in complete denial, but that would be a pretty lame means of explanation IMO. Is this issue ever addressed in Season 2? I'm guessing that she doesn't keep the baby...but is there ever any clarification about how she could have been pregnant for so long without knowing it? Or did I miss something in the episodes leading up to "The Wheel"?

Keep watching. Not really addressed. But yeah, your concerns are warranted and show a certain vacuum in Peggy's personality and self-awareness, to say the least. She's odd. . . that's an understatement. I've never known anyone like her.

Edited by jazzbo

I've found that Betty's character seems to get more enigmatic as time goes on. Or maybe just more unlikeable. She has a very brittle personality, and doesn't seem to make any effort to understand the people around her.

Boy, I feel bad for Sal! And I guess he's not going to be on the show anymore, which kind of stinks.

I've found that Betty's character seems to get more enigmatic as time goes on. Or maybe just more unlikeable. She has a very brittle personality, and doesn't seem to make any effort to understand the people around her.

Boy, I feel bad for Sal! And I guess he's not going to be on the show anymore, which kind of stinks.

I'm not so sure about that. That phone call he made to his wife from the phone booth toward the end was weird. Did you notice the characters in the back ground? They looked like the Village People circa 1962. Plus, it seems that this gay son of a cigarette tycoon would not want this to come out, no? We'll see. Logic would dictate that Joan is no longer on the show as well, but you know she'll be back in some fashion. Pete's sleazy little rendezvous (rape?) of the polish girl will no doubt bring her back into the picture.

Yes, I did notice those weird guys in the background while Sal was on the payphone (who knew that I'd have nostalgia for payphones?) but who's to say at this point if that's actually a pointer to Sal's future or just a red herring. And it would be nice if they can find some way of bringing Joan back in. All you can say for sure about Mad Men is...you never know.

Did you notice Don, when he had to fire Sal, actually using the phrase "You people..."? Ouch.

My girlfriend and I watch it for the period aspect mostly. She's entertained by the antics but shudders too. I'm beginning to like seeing Draper become more and more disgusting. He even suggested that Sal should have slept wtih the client. Sheesh. I guess now his seediness and his declining character fascinate me. How low will he go? I'm also fascinated that this is how they keep advancing the storyline. As someone who sometimes writes this also fascinates me.

It really fascinates me that there are those who really admire him (I'm not saying that of anyone here, but in conversations off the board) whereas he makes me shrink back. Different strokes I guess. . . but. . . ewh! I guess he's becoming someone I "love to hate" and part of the reason I watch is because of this.

I think I liked Sal and Joan best of the characters, and I hope they remain in the story for a while.

Edited by jazzbo

Big man Don didn't even bother to fight for Sal. Sheesh.

It would have been exceedingly stupid of him to do so.

Well, you think so. I don't.

Don has bitten off more than he can chew with this new ego-booster of his, the school teacher.

Edited by jazzbo

It was also stupid to lose track of that key to the important locked drawer.

I just think it was stupid of Don to let someone else discharge one of his employees without a fight. Who wants to work for someone like that? Esprit de corps . . won't develop. And he's just acquiesced without a fight to those above him . . . not a good business move on his part in my opinion. Draper's flag is slipping down the pole, despite the award dinner etc. Just my two cents. Doesn't upset me. ;)

Edited by jazzbo

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if it was the best episode, but it was a good one.

Man, Betts' new boyfriend is going to have a rude awakening.

I think it will do all the Sterling-Cooperites good to start anew. Though I really wished they'd left Campbell to try his luck with the new company. What a douche.

Loved it--the last three episodes of this season were pretty amazing. Can't wait to see where this goes in Season 4... they've blown things up in a very interesting way as the show moves into the mid-1960s era.

Great exchanges between Peggy and Don in the finale, btw. "I'm not going to stand here and beg you." "Beg me? You haven't even asked me." And then Don's visit to her apartment and his "something terrible has happened" passage.

One of the best, for sure. This seemed to be a more fast-moving episode than some, at least in terms of the plot unfolding rather quickly. Loved the way they cleaned out the office over the weekend, basically leaving it a wreck and how Roger told Don not to bother locking the door. Too bad the season is so short, but lots to think about for next year - how will the new company go - will there be some major lawsuit hatched by the English firm that takes them down? Will Bets come crawling back to Don at some point? Lon's right- how long will Bet's new boyfriend last - wasn't that him in the seat beside her in the plane - already seemed a little distant. Wonder how he'll take to his new family and the baby crying at night? Will Don take up permanently with the schoolteacher or with someone new? Good entertainment anyway. Just about the only non-sports and non-news program I watch regularly.

I felt a little sorry for Kinsey being left behind (and will miss him) but it had to be that way. They couldn't take everyone with them and it's been made clear that Peggy is the most talented of the creative team. Also, it was established in an earlier episode that he "has a big mouth." Can't risk that, as the whole operation has to be kept very much on the down-low until Monday. I was happy for Pryce---he really got his own back after his company had repeatedly treated him callously. I'd gotten to liking him more as the season went on. And just nice to see an episode that really moves and pops with big, decisive events. Not always like that with this show.