Mad for Mad Men Corner

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great episode last night. Don was incredible. ( :tup Jon Hamm, magnificent performance). Waiting for Roger to implode. It seems inevitable.

I know they're into historical accuracy but I was wondering if in a Playboy club in '64 you'd have heard a piano trio as relentlessly modal as that one seemed to be? '68 maybe, a few years after Tyner left 'Trane, and all that had become more mainstream, but I would have thought that in '64 the music would have been more along the lines of the Bill Evans or Ahmad Jamal or Red Garland trios, espcially in a Playboy club, which was not a hard-core jazz club.

Is it '64 or 65?

Great episode last night. Don was incredible. ( :tup Jon Hamm, magnificent performance). Waiting for Roger to implode. It seems inevitable.

I know they're into historical accuracy but I was wondering if in a Playboy club in '64 you'd have heard a piano trio as relentlessly modal as that one seemed to be? '68 maybe, a few years after Tyner left 'Trane, and all that had become more mainstream, but I would have thought that in '64 the music would have been more along the lines of the Bill Evans or Ahmad Jamal or Red Garland trios, espcially in a Playboy club, which was not a hard-core jazz club.

Is it '64 or 65?

It is summer 1965.

There was something about Lane that made me start feeling sorry for him some time ago. Now I've got even MORE reason to! (Jeeze, that horrible father...!)

Yeah, I remember hating the character last season but have found myself pulling for him ever since they all partnered up. He was really trying to prove a point last night. Red, white and blue balloons for the kid, Playboy Club, etc.etc... That last scene with his father was really bizarre. I wonder if he will be returning.

Whatever happened to the kid that Don hired? Roger's nephew/cousin or whatever by marriage.

Edited by catesta

Danny? Yeah, he seems to have vanished.

If the agency somehow finds a way to hang on without Lucky Strike, any chance we'll see Sal back in some capacity?

Also wondering if anybody else is going to die this year--we've had Anna Draper and Miss Blankenship so far.

I had a feeling the Korea issue was going to come back on Don this year; the war's alluded to in the opening scene of the Season 4 debut (the reporter with the artificial leg who's interviewing Don). Quite a turnaround, that he had to depend on Pete Campbell taking a big fall for him to keep things from getting any worse.

There was something about Lane that made me start feeling sorry for him some time ago. Now I've got even MORE reason to! (Jeeze, that horrible father...!)

Yeah, I remember hating the character last season but have found myself pulling for him ever since they all partnered up. He was really trying to prove a point last night. Red, white and blue balloons for the kid, Playboy Club, etc.etc... That last scene with his father was really bizarre. I wonder if he will be returning.

Whatever happened to the kid that Don hired? Roger's nephew/cousin or whatever by marriage.

Well they can't have everybody in every episode.

As for Lane Pryce---it was easy to loathe him when he was putting people through their paces as the new head of Sterling Cooper; hiring two guys for the same job, etc. Then it's revealed that he's just following instructions from the big boys in the head office, and furthermore, they're treating Lane like crap too. He suddenly has to move to India, or something, just when he's starting to get used to New York and so on. That's when I started to feel some sympathy for the guy.

Come to think of it, the Brits are seen to have an even less enlightened attitude toward their workers in some ways than the American corporations of this time. When that guy is crippled their attitude is, "Well, he's done, that's that." The Americans mumble something about surely there are still many things he could do for the company and the Brits are astonished and reply that no, he's CRIPPLED, he's done, forget about him. The old-fashioned, unthinking casual cruelty of that is rather stunning.

An appearance by the aforementioned Danny last night ("Anybody have a question?" SCDP meeting...that was hilarious). As we've seen before, a crisis bringing out bad/unhinged behavior in Don (teeing off on Pete, trying to coerce Dr. Faye into violating her professional scruples). Did anybody else start to worry about Roger possibly becoming suicidal, in lieu of his losing the Lucky Strike account, his bumbling, in-denial behavior, and Joan's finally closing the door on their being together again? And by the end of the episode Don had created another screwed-up situation for himself; now that Dr. Faye's thrown her professional ethics over for him, I don't think she'll take too kindly to his leaving her for Megan, if that should come to pass.

Why was everyone piling on Roger at the end? Yes he'd hidden the truth but no one but Joan knew that. He did do all that could be done to keep the account-- or did I miss something?

Cooper's final words to him were good writing, but could he really be described as not taking himself seriously.

Edited by medjuck

An appearance by the aforementioned Danny last night ("Anybody have a question?" SCDP meeting...that was hilarious). As we've seen before, a crisis bringing out bad/unhinged behavior in Don (teeing off on Pete, trying to coerce Dr. Faye into violating her professional scruples). Did anybody else start to worry about Roger possibly becoming suicidal, in lieu of his losing the Lucky Strike account, his bumbling, in-denial behavior, and Joan's finally closing the door on their being together again? And by the end of the episode Don had created another screwed-up situation for himself; now that Dr. Faye's thrown her professional ethics over for him, I don't think she'll take too kindly to his leaving her for Megan, if that should come to pass.

Re: Roger...

Yeah, I thought for sure we were going to see him dead by the end of the episode.

Brilliant episode.

Don covering Pete's partnership obligation was totally unexpected. In fact when Lane brought it up, Don had a look on his face as if he wasn't going to be able to cover his share.

That certainly answers all questions about Pete's loyalty.

I have a feeling Don's "why I quit tobacco" is going to do more good for the agency than harm. I suppose the writers could take that in a completely different direction but I'd like to think they are setting Don & Company up for better times.

The one thing that really surprised me was Cooper walking out. I thought it would have been Roger, Cosgrove, or Pete.

Edited by catesta

That "Why I Quit Tobacco" statement sounded very familiar. I wonder if someone published something similar in the real world around then.

I don't know, but did you catch the "Emerson Foote called" line?

Emerson Foote

I've been meaning to check out THE HUCKSTERS for some time, as it's been cited as a MAD MEN touchstone before...I think it's still up on YouTube, actually.

Guess who else was serving on the board of the American Cancer Society (which called SCDP in the last episode after Don's ad ran) in 1965? Conrad Hilton. Not sure he'll be the white horse in the season finale, though (if there even is one). Lots of speculation about Disney, the 1965 World's Fair (both of these stemming from the "Tomorrowland" title), and the photos that have circulated showing Don and Megan by a swimming pool, with Megan apparently holding baby Gene.

Agree w/you about Slattery, who also directed "The Rejected" from this season, correct?

Edited by ghost of miles

Lots of online speculation about whether or not a major character will die in tonight's season finale. Rumors that Sally might, but I doubt it (somebody suggested that brother Bobby might instead). Here's an amusing comment from one online forum:

Come on....either Roger kills himself, Joan's husband gets killed by friendly fire, or they find out Bert's helicopter was shot down as he was leaving Korea.

I don't think Roger's going to kill himself either, although they've thrown some feints in that direction.

Nobody died!

Well, interesting ending to an interesting season. I actually liked Mad Men more than ever this season, and the writers earned some real cred with me by knocking Don down from the high life a few pegs and showing his choices and actions catching up to him.

I think he's going to regret dumping Dr. Miller.

Edited by jazzbo

Don's proposal interested me. I think he fell in love with Megan because she seems to really "want him" and "look up to him" and she does not know of his hidden realities (correct me if I'm wrong, please!) He can't seem to lose himself in escape with a woman who knows his secrets, perhaps neither person could then ever let their guards go completely down. . . . I really think when he saw Megan so smoothly and positively interact with his children, he saw what he always wanted for his children and perhaps himself and never received in his marriage with Betty. . . .

I could be totally off base here, but the proposal did have a sort of weight to it that made the finale a heavy hitter for me.

Edited by jazzbo

Don's proposal interested me. I think he fell in love with Megan because she seems to really "want him" and "look up to him" and she does not know of his hidden realities (correct me if I'm wrong, please!) He can't seem to lose himself in escape with a woman who knows his secrets, perhaps neither person could then ever let their guards go completely down. . . . I really think when he saw Megan so smoothly and positively interact with his children, he saw what he always wanted for his children and perhaps himself and never received in his marriage with Betty. . . .

I could be totally off base here, but the proposal did have a sort of weight to it that made the finale a heavy hitter for me.

A great final episode.

As you said above, Lon, I think he's going to regret dumping Faye. You couldn't miss the real pain in her tears as she hung up the phone after Don's break-up call. She'll probably use her professional contacts to undermine the firm somehow, in a jilted lovers' revenge.

Interesting how he dumped a highly paid and beautiful professional woman(who clearly would have married him) for an equally beautiful but lowly-paid (though obviously intelligent and gifted) secretary. I do think Megan's easy way with the kids had a lot to do with it. Next season year the kids will want to live full-time with Don and Megan, causing Bets to completely lose it and go off the deep end.

I was assuming all along that Joan had the abortion, but apparently not (perhaps I missed something). So she's going to pass Roger's kid off as her husband's. Guess that sort of thing happened more than once with service men returing from overseas.

So much to look forward to next season. This show really is addictive.

Damn,that whole flip flop Don did with the two women was really something.

After coming clean with Faye I thought for sure he was going to make it work. She took it really hard and it would not surprise me if she does indeed cause him problems next season.

At the end when Don was sitting in bed wide awake and looking out the window he almost had an "oh shit what did I do" look on his face.