mjzee

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...

Btw, there's a mistake on the big Columbia box...  snip… "I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm" (session with Jonah Jones and Ben Webster) - instead of the alternate take, at the end of the set where the collected alternates are located, the master take is sequenced again.

I'm bumping this six year old thread if nobody minds.

I found a quote from a 2002 review/analysis of the 2002 10 CD Sony set. Quoted here from a post to the Miles Davis list-serve (aka "The Miles Digest"), June 2002:

- Quote - 

Jazz Journal states that the missing tracks are:

20507-1 I've got my love to keep me warm (from "The Golden Years Vol 2")

23468-1 I've got a date with a dream (from the Lester Young Story Vol 2) This set includes take 2 twice!!

31005-3 Gloomy Sunday (from God Bless the Child)

It also omits: 

29987-3 Let's do it 

and 

29988-4 Georgia on my mind 

which are both incomplete tracks on Queen disc Q-065.

- end quote - 

2015 Questions: I've read a lot of differing information about errors/omissions in the 2002 set. Has anybody found a reliable and up-to-date analysis that has the final word about this? For instance, were some of the omissions purposely done by Sony/the producers? Does the 2009 Sony Europe reissue box of the 2002 10CD set contain the exact same "errors"?

Thanks, 

John

Edited by jdw
re-sized the font

I think I have the 2009 Sony Europe reissue.  It looks like this:

41O8-HFNeDL._SY300_.jpg

There is only one take of "I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm" on this box.  It's track 13 on disc 2.  No alternate.  Regarding "I've Got A Date With A Dream," although the track on disc 4, track 23 is 2:44 and the track on disc 8, track 22 is 2:42, they sound to me like the same recording.  There's no special mention in the booklet regarding either of these songs.  Regarding "Gloomy Sunday," the box contains 31005-1 and 31005-2, not 31005-3.

all the questions were recently addressed in another thread, 

except for the 29988-4 Georgia on my mind on Queen disc Q-065.

the only source for 4 takes seems to be schapp's 1995 discography in the back of one of the bio books.

all other discographies list 3 takes, and one fake. i.e. http://www.jazzdisco.org/billie-holiday/discography/

it seems that Queen disc Q-065 has 2 identical takes listed as takes 3 and 4.

I'm bumping this six year old thread if nobody minds.

I found a quote from a 2002 review/analysis of the 2002 10 CD Sony set. Quoted here from a post to the Miles Davis list-serve (aka "The Miles Digest"), June 2002:

- Quote - 

Jazz Journal states that the missing tracks are:

20507-1 I've got my love to keep me warm (from "The Golden Years Vol 2")

23468-1 I've got a date with a dream (from the Lester Young Story Vol 2) This set includes take 2 twice!!

31005-3 Gloomy Sunday (from God Bless the Child)

It also omits: 

29987-3 Let's do it 

and 

29988-4 Georgia on my mind 

which are both incomplete tracks on Queen disc Q-065.

- end quote - 

2015 Questions: I've read a lot of differing information about errors/omissions in the 2002 set. Has anybody found a reliable and up-to-date analysis that has the final word about this? For instance, were some of the omissions purposely done by Sony/the producers? Does the 2009 Sony Europe reissue box of the 2002 10CD set contain the exact same "errors"?

Thanks, 

John

• 6 months later...