Threadgill and Air

JETman

I just found this in the upcoming releases section:

Henry Threadgill: The Complete Novus & Columbia Recordings of Henry Threadgill & Air

(Release Date: Early 2010)

Henry Threadgill was among the first wave of distinctive and utterly original artists to emerge from Chicago’s Association for The Advancement of Creative Music along with Muhal Richard Abrams, Anthony Braxton and the member of the Art Ensemble Of Chicago.

As a saxophonist, he delivers his unique style with a big, dry sound and precise articulation. As a composer, he was an American original, influenced by the entire spectrum of music. He creates distinctive sonic canvasses for a variety of ensemble. And his work is infused with a wonderfully dry, almost absurdist sense of humor.

This set covers three important eras in Threadgill’s career, beginning with the three albums that Air made in 1978-79 for Arista Novus including the celebrated “Air Lore” with unique reinterpretations of the music of Scott Joplin and Jelly Roll Morton. Air was a remarkable co-operative trio formed by Threadgill, bassist Fred Hopkins and drummer Steve McCall in 1975.

In 1979, Threadgill made his first album as a leader for Arista Novus. “X-75. Volume 1” featured the unique ensemble of four reeds, four basses and the voice of Amina Claudine Myers. A volume 2 was made and never issued. It is released for the first time in this set.

In 1986, Henry formed his Sextett, which consisted of seven musicians! This unique ensemble consisted of trumpet, trombone, cello, bass and two sets of drums as well as Threadgill. Over the next two years, the group recorded three albums, all for RCA Novus and all included here.

Threadgill closed out the century with three albums on Columbia (“Carry The Day,” “Makin’ A Move” and “Where’s Your Cup”) recorded between 1994 and ’96 with varying ensembles of unusual instrumentation.

This set cover three distinct and fertile peak periods in Threadgill’s long and ever creative career.

THIS IS A SET WORTH GETTING EXCITED ABOUT!!!

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how many CDs this will be?

I own it (or in the case of the columbias, sold it) all except the unreleased stuff so will pass. Probably the Braxton has been successful (perhaps surprisingly), warranting this release. If this leads to more 'avant-garde' issues, perhaps of less common material, then I'm all for it.

11 albums (including the unreleased one)=7 CDs, possibly? Or 8?

I don't think new sets will exceed 7 CDs, because of the extra licensing cost of sets with more than 7 CDs - with the possible exception of the upcoming (?) Ellington set.

Edited by J.A.W.

This type of news settles the nerves a bit about Mosaic and its health. I'll be all over this! Another pre-order here. I've also noticed that the Crosby set will be released in November. The perfect Christmas gift for a lot of people and a lot of $ for Mosaic. Perfect timing.

David Murray is about as far out as I can go...

(who I do like quite a bit BTW....) :rolleyes:

I respect anyone who's into it... but Henry Threadgill & Bing ain't happening for me..... <_< <_< <_<

Sounds promising. Good to see Mosaic's release programme is expanding its horizons :)

Could've guessed that based on your avatar. :P

David Murray is about as far out as I can go...

(who I do like quite a bit BTW....) :rolleyes:

I respect anyone who's into it... but Henry Threadgill & Bing ain't happening for me..... <_< <_< <_<

Sounds promising. Good to see Mosaic's release programme is expanding its horizons :)

Could've guessed that based on your avatar. :P

Must've missed this week's new album from him.