Threadgill and Air

JETman

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David Murray is about as far out as I can go...

(who I do like quite a bit BTW....) :rolleyes:

I respect anyone who's into it... but Henry Threadgill & Bing ain't happening for me..... <_< <_< <_<

Sounds promising. Good to see Mosaic's release programme is expanding its horizons :)

Could've guessed that based on your avatar. :P

You ought to check out some Threadgill, really!

Strong beautiful music, not fitting into any clean-cut categories... tubas, accordions, guitars and various other instruments in various bands... I'd not start with Air (that's more "classic" free jazz, though what the hell is "free jazz"...), but some of his later albums might be quite to your liking! Check some out on those free online listening sites (assuming there's some Threadgill there... I don't use these sites).

btw, my Braxton just arrived and it's a number close to 2000 - I know they're not selling them by numbers, but if they sell several hundreds a piece, being in the 1500 to 2000 area with a 2008 release might indeed be quite a succes, no?

btw, my Braxton just arrived and it's a number close to 2000 - I know they're not selling them by numbers, but if they sell several hundreds a piece, being in the 1500 to 2000 area with a 2008 release might indeed be quite a succes, no?

They DO sell the big boxes in sequential order--i.e., with your box, they HAVE sold close to 2,000.

David Murray is about as far out as I can go...

(who I do like quite a bit BTW....) :rolleyes:

I respect anyone who's into it... but Henry Threadgill & Bing ain't happening for me..... <_< <_< <_<

Sounds promising. Good to see Mosaic's release programme is expanding its horizons :)

Could've guessed that based on your avatar. :P

You ought to check out some Threadgill, really!

Strong beautiful music, not fitting into any clean-cut categories... tubas, accordions, guitars and various other instruments in various bands... I'd not start with Air (that's more "classic" free jazz, though what the hell is "free jazz"...), but some of his later albums might be quite to your liking! Check some out on those free online listening sites (assuming there's some Threadgill there... I don't use these sites).

My Braxton is 1517, bought this spring with the release of the Armstrong set. Roughly 500 sets sold in 6 months I guess.

Threadgill set will be amazing I reckon , I'm surprised there isn't more excitement here regarding its release. I'll get it for sure whether Cindy is there or not.

Great news, but I have to question the inclusion of the Columbia discs. Aren't these very easily available - and often very cheaply? I don't think I've paid more than a buck or three for them in the used bins over the years - and in fact just picked up another copy of "Carry the Day" for a buck over the weekend.

I've just returned from vacation and found the Mosaic e-mail waiting for me. This is great news and the music is well overdue for re-issuing. Whilst I have everything by him that has been already been issued on Novus & Columbia, there is probably something new included in the boxset and it will be great to hear it remastered. Not forgetting the usual excellent Mosaic booklet, of course!

Well done Mosaic and this news makes me much more optimistic about their future.

Threadgill is a bit *too* avant-garde for me, but I'm happy for all you a-g people out there.

Understood. But while I wouldn't recommend that you drop the cash for the Mosaic box, you really should try a couple of his albums. The Columbias, especially, are pretty accessible and not as a-g as you might think. As I mentioned upthread, some of them can be found cheaply used.

There's a big "superficial" difference between Air & the Sextet...sometimes...Air could get "open-ended" in a way the Sextet seldom did. But Air often swung like mofos too...hey, Steve McCall, I mean, hey.

Them that worry about Henry being "too" avant-garde should at least hear some of the Sextet before signing off on that position. You might still, but you might not. Depends on where your "line" is...

This is a very good move from Mosaic. In the event of a catastrophe - hit back with a massive home run. This looks like such a thing. Although I don't have any Threadgill, this one goes straight to the 'priority' list, along with the Braxton.

You'll love it and then wonder how you managed without any Threadgill for so long :crazy: