Pepper Adams/Donald Byrd "Out of This World"

riverrat

• 3 years later...
On 8/27/2013 at 6:51 AM, bertrand said:

The Fresh Sound CD has a problem, IIRC. I think the song 'Curro's' is repeated so instead of 12 minutes, it's the 6 minute track played over. I'll have to check.

Bertrand.

On Fresh Sound, on "Byrd House," and probably on "Curro's" as well, after the initial round of solos and the head, the solos from the alternate take are tacked on. I'll have to check about that on "Curro's," but that is sure the case on "Byrd House." It feels a bit artificial, but IMO that's a small price to pay for more nice solo work.

Adams sure was in fine form on this album, about as relaxed as I've ever heard him. Neither the original Warwick LP nor the Fresh Sound reissue has great sound, but failing an archeological discovery of the original tapes, which themselves might not have been that good, it's all we've got. I'm struck by what an effective and even somewhat aggressive comper/pattern-maker Hancock was on his first date. OTOH, it sounds like he and Cobb may have worked out some of those things in rehearsal. A fairly happy band, I would guess.

Just listened to the Fresh Sound "Curro's." The two rounds of solos are different, and one can hear the tempo pick up a bit in mid-track as the switch is made between takes.

P.S. It should be "Birdhouse," the name of the Chicago club where I heard the band, not "Byrd House," as Fresh Sound has it.

• 6 years later...

I have the TCB reissue of this album, and I'm really digging it. I was going to ask if Teddy Charles was playing vibes, and I see further up in the thread that he is.  

The stereo has very nice natural room ambience, though I wish the bass were centered.  Luckily, I have a subwoofer in the middle of the room.