Richie Beirach

The only thing I've heard Beirach on is "Stan Getz: Live at the Left Bank", along with Dave Holland and Jack DeJohnette. I'd never heard of Beirach before, but he blew me away! I haven't really seen anything else with his name on it. I'd be interested in hearing these trio recordings.

The trio is Beirach, Greg Huebner (violin) and George Mraz (bass, of course).

I've only listened to the "Round about Monteverdi" record, which is the latest one issued of the three. They're all on Act.

The trio does the music from different angles, in some cases playing the original theme straight and then improvising "in the spirit" of the original music, in other doing much freer interpretations. Some nice arranging, especially setting the violin (Huebner is quite good) against Mraz arco bass.

Re Beirach, some inventive piano, but I think he is a little heavyhanded at times, some way his touch when not playing with a full rhythm section seems to lack some sensitivity. I think I've noticed the same in some of his solomusic. But that's just my humble opninion.

Edited by pepe

• 3 weeks later...

I've been living with the Round About Bartok disk for a week now and love it. Actually not all that Bartoky. Very much in the chamber jazz mould of ECM. I'm normally not a great fan of the violin in jazz but very much like Gregor Huebner. And George Mraz's bass is beautifully caught on the recording. In fact I'd recommend it to anyone who likes jazz bass!