'58 Miles Featuring Stella By Starlight

Norm

Well, I've been unloading all of these questions that I've had bottled up for quite some time and I thought I'd see if any of y'all enjoy '58 Miles as much as me and if there might be a better edition than the one I have. This is one of the very first jazz CDs I purchased and remains to this day one of my very favorite Miles, eclipsed perhaps only by Kind of Blue. It doesn't seem to get nearly as much attention as most others in Miles' huge discography -- heck, the version I have is even OOP and thus I'm wondering if any newer sonically superior release has been issued.

515TV1a6jrL__SS500_.jpg

Audio CD (July 23, 1991)

Original Release Date: May 26, 1958

Number of Discs: 1

Label: Sony

1. On Green Dolphin Street 9:50

2. Fran Dance 5:51

3. Stella By Starlight 4:44

4. Love For Sale 11:46

5. Straight, No Chaser 10:59

6. My Funny Valentine 10:13

7. Oleo 10:56

Earlier this year I picked up the Columbia / Legacy double-disc anniversary edition of KoB which has the first 4 tracks listed above on the second disc and they sound mighty fine, but man the last 3 tracks were recorded live at the Plaza and they just cook, at least "Straight, No Chaser" (might be my favorite version of that tune, Trane is magnificent on it) and are unfortunately not included in the KoB re-issue. And then on "My Funny Valentine," you can hear the clinking of ice in the glasses and the coughing of patrons at the club in the background. So, for someone who wasn't born until 1973 this really feels as close to what it would have been like to be at a club back in the day hearing the band...the snap-off at the start of "Straight, No Chaser" for instance. On time and then some...

I picked up Miles at Newport 1958 hoping for a similar feel, but I didn't feel those performances were anywhere near as strong as the ones on this disc. Has anybody gotten their ears on a newer edition of this album with improved sound quality? I'd be more inclined to fork over a large sum for that than just about anything else.

Edited by Norm

The final three tracks were from the album Jazz at the Plaza (along with a version of If I Were A Bell), which I always thought was an unnecessary duplication- Plaza always seemed to be readily available.

The most recent remastering is on the Miles/ Trane Columbia box. Never the greatest recordings but full of atmosphere.

The studio session is some of my favourite Miles.

Edited by Rosco

I really like this studio session too. As you pointed out Norm, the session sounds great on the Kind of Blue Legacy two cd Anniversary set.

There has been a Columbia cd (2001, seems out of print now but cheap from amazon marketplacers) of the Plaza Hotel material that has the same mastering I believe as in the Miles-Trane box set from Columbia. That mastering sounds improved from the version you have, but not incredibly, the source recording is not great.

I really like this studio session too. As you pointed out Norm, the session sounds great on the Kind of Blue Legacy two cd Anniversary set.

There has been a Columbia cd (2001, seems out of print now but cheap from amazon marketplacers) of the Plaza Hotel material that has the same mastering I believe as in the Miles-Trane box set from Columbia. That mastering sounds improved from the version you have, but not incredibly, the source recording is not great.

Is this the cover of the re-issue which you mentioned having slightly better sound than the one I have (pictured above)? If so, its interesting that the track order is different.

61ptbbYojuL__SS500_.jpg

I don't own the Miles-Trane box set and don't plan to get it, so this could be a very affordable alternative. It looks like was re-issued under the Sony SBME Markets series in 2008 for cheap.

Is this the cover of the re-issue which you mentioned having slightly better sound than the one I have (pictured above)? If so, its interesting that the track order is different.

61ptbbYojuL__SS500_.jpg

I don't own the Miles-Trane box set and don't plan to get it, so this could be a very affordable alternative. It looks like was re-issued under the Sony SBME Markets series in 2008 for cheap.

The version of "My Funny Valentine" on this set is fantastic.

High Art.

Very "free".

My favorite.

I agree, the studio tracks on '58 Miles are fabulous, and I like them every bit as much as KOB.

Yes. There's no excuse to like one and not own the other.

The Plaza date is nice, if not my favorite live Miles performance.

I remember being knocked out by Trane's solo on "If I Were a Bell", which is pretty much among his best from the sheets of sound period (which would wrap up shortly).

Also, I think it's interesting to the follow "My Funny Valentine"s back to back, there's a clear trend:

Cookin' with the Miles Davis Quintet

Live at the Plaza

Philharmonic Hall 1964

Plugged Nickel 1965

[there's one final version from Portland 1966 and it was never recorded by Miles again]

Some searching on Amazon shows that there is a Japanese DSD import of the Jazz at the Plaza session available, somewhere in the vicinity of $20-$25.

Maybe a consideration. Then again, I've read elsewhere (in some comments left on Amazon) that Miles, Coltrane and Cannonball were recorded "off mic" that night as this wasn't supposed to serve as a live release. I'm not familiar enough with the effect of DSD mastering to guess whether it would make a difference in this kind of case. From Amazon (though I was under the impression this was not released until 1973, not 1958):

Editorial Reviews

Product Description

Part of the 'Master Sound Jazz Series'. Japanese reissue of the classic Columbia album originally released in 1958. DSDmastering. Packaged in a limited edition miniature LP sleeve. 4 tracks. 2000 release.

Some searching on Amazon shows that there is a Japanese DSD import of the Jazz at the Plaza session available, somewhere in the vicinity of $20-$25.

Maybe a consideration. Then again, I've read elsewhere (in some comments left on Amazon) that Miles, Coltrane and Cannonball were recorded "off mic" that night as this wasn't supposed to serve as a live release. I'm not familiar enough with the effect of DSD mastering to guess whether it would make a difference in this kind of case. From Amazon (though I was under the impression this was not released until 1973, not 1958):

Editorial Reviews

Product Description

Part of the 'Master Sound Jazz Series'. Japanese reissue of the classic Columbia album originally released in 1958. DSDmastering. Packaged in a limited edition miniature LP sleeve. 4 tracks. 2000 release.

The mastering itself, i.e. how it was done, is more important than what was used, 16-bit, 20-bit, 24-bit, DSD or whatever.

The saxophones are slightly off mic from time to time, but I don't think Miles is.

The piano is under recorded, though.

Trane is at the height of his Miles sheets of sound peroid and Cannonball is furious too.

I'd like to hear the remastered version to see if there is a improvement, but the way it was originally released is fine with me.

I still have the vinyl that was issued in 1973, and the "My Funny Valentine" I mentioned is also on:

Evans-piano.jpg

58 Miles is one of my favorites. Bill Evans opening lock hand intro on On Green Dolphin Street and Cannonball's swinging solo on Love For Sale I return to time and time again.

I have had the vinyl version for many years.

41-Gq94mYDL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Track Listing:

1. On Green Dolphin Street

2. Fran Dance

3. Stella By Starlight

4. Love For Sale

5. Little Melonae

Also highly recommend the great sounding remaster of Kind Of Blue 2 disc Legacy Edition that came out this year. Miles 58 takes up Disc 2.

413ZEon91GL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Track listing which does not included Little Melonae:

1. On Green Dolphin Street

2. Fran-Dance

3. Stella By Starlight

4. Love For Sale

5. Fran-Dance (Alternate Take)

6. So What (Live April 9th, 1960)

Edited by WorldB3