Dr. Lonnie Smith - The Art Of Organizing

mikeweil

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The Turbanator, Peter Bernstein, and Billy Drummond - can't be bad.

It's a terrific album -- Lonnie's solo on "Too Damn Hot" is really wild, more like at a live show than the careful, architectural, precise later recorded version. Not putting down the latter -- I actually learned it off the record I liked it so much -- but the earlier album is as a whole like that.

"Softly as in a Morning Sunrise" has a crazy solo on it also by Lonnie Smith, as does "Night Song."

Raw and expansive -- sounds like the way he plays live. Pick it up for sure, especially if you have all his later albums.

A copy of Booglaoo To Beck is on its way to me ...

I don't think that one gets enough credit either -- I listened to pretty much nothing else on headphones for a few weeks once I got into the album. (Not familiar with most of the Beck tunes, but it didn't matter to me at all). Very precise solos like on the "Preacher"-style tune ("He's a Mighty Good Leader") and that funk/swing two chord tune ("Jack Ass" I think). Great bass on the opening cut.

I'd probably start people off unfamiliar with LS or jazz beyond the few albums most "eclectic" people have in their little collections with this one.

• 3 weeks later...

After a few spins of Boogaloo to Beck I confirm that it deserves much more praise that it has received so far - Fathead plays nicely too.

It's good - everyone plays well, as you say. But it always seemed just slightly unenthusiastic to me. In contrast, Reuben Wilson's "Booglaoo to the Beastie Boys" on the same label, with Andrew Beals, while not as adventurous, sounds a LOT more enthusiastic.

MG