Miles Davis & Bill Evans

Teasing the Korean

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Guy Berger said:

I urge the moderators to close this thread and everyone else to discuss much better pianists like Don Pullen

🤣

Or how about this idea - anybody who has been listening to jazz for longer than....five years(?) just go for at least one year without listening to anybody essentially connected with Kind Of Blue? Just a year, but longer if you listen casually or otherwise hobbyistically.

That might be a sacrifice musically, but what can be gained from stepping away from the machine of all those "narratives" can safe your life when you do get back to the music(s).

But it will allow you to hear what Pat Metheny called "The Shot Heard 'round The World":https://www.chicagojazzmagazine.com/post/view-from-the-inside-the-influence-of-paul-bley

Or this one, the shot heard by at least a few people who were actually pating attention:

And ok, Tristano? Yes, absolutely. Only this world and that world ...still not co-mingled yet, if ever. Miles had crossover in mind, sonny...maybe not so much.

• 2 years later...

Larry, I know Kind of Blue wasn’t ‘unpopular’ when first released — but didn’t its notoriety grow more (but steadily) over a number of years? (Meaning, I don’t think(?) it had any truly extraordinary sales right from the git go.)

For instance, wasn’t “Take Five” (and Time Out) a legitimate ‘hit’ in its first year or two? — whereas I thought KOB took a few to several years to gather steam.

Maybe Evans’ role on KOB helped elevate him — but I’m not totally sure (or else maybe more over time?).

9 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Larry, I know Kind of Blue wasn’t ‘unpopular’ when first released — but didn’t its notoriety grow more (but steadily) over a number of years? (Meaning, I don’t think(?) it had any truly extraordinary sales right from the git go.)

For instance, wasn’t “Take Five” (and Time Out) a legitimate ‘hit’ in its first year or two? — whereas I thought KOB took a few to several years to gather steam.

Maybe Evans’ role on KOB helped elevate him — but I’m not totally sure (or else maybe more over time?).

I remember I bought KOB after I had "Milestones", "Steaming" and "Miles at Antibes" or "My Funny Valentine in Concert" and maybe for my early musical "understanding" KOB was a bit to "quiet" for me. See, I had heard the faster live versions of "So What" and "All Blues"  with Hancock and Tony Williams and they had exited me much more than the original recordings. 
About Bill Evans, it seems I was not so really aware of what he did , I liked to piano solo on "Freddie Freeloader" only to find out later, that on this one track Wynton Kelly was on piano.