Which style of JAzz to you listen to most?

Jazz Groove

"For me it is mainly 50's and 60's hardbop..."

That was the case for me for a very long time. Nowadays my listening is spread accross the entire spectrum of jazz. If I had to choose one period that I listen to more than any other, though, I guess I'd have to go with contemporary stuff.

Edited by Alexander

I just finished with a period of nothing but electric miles from 1969-1975. I don't know that I am fully finished yet... ^_^

I will go through periods of listening to ECM stuff and European-flavored jazz, usually in the fall and winter. I listen to classical almost exclusively in the winter months, and never in the summer. In the spring and summer I have more electro music in the player/on the table.

I guess it is a seasonal thing.

I only listen to the good stuff.

As a great man once said, Hell Yea!!!

I wish I could say I only listen to the good stuff but unfortunately I have listened to my share of the bad stuff as well. And sometimes the bad stuff later turns out to be the good stuff. It does get complicated, doesn't it! :g:g

Like the wise men say, it is the journey, not the destination.

It varies, but hard bop is dropping down the list. It's only fair; it was all I listened to for quite a while. Lately the style of jazz I listen to has been bouncing all over the map. The other day I listened to Bechet's Runnin' Wild and then Quartet Out's Welcome to the Party and was surprised to discover that they were both the same kind of music. I think my brain's music department is in such flux at the moment that only my favorite smilie can describe it: :wacko:

Don't wanna sound "corny" but probably listen to jazz from the '20s through today in equal measure. It was the Hot 5s that got me interested and it stays that way. I backed up a bit to take in Oliver, spend a bunch of time in prebop '40s stuff, but I like it all. Tiny Parham is Horace Silver. I'm less inclined to "retro" music, whether Turk Murphy or Wynton. They have their place but that place is way back in my library.

Duke was the master of all this stuff.

Mainly 50s-60s hard and post-bop here, though I've got a major soft spot for piano trios (Bill Evans...ahhhh! Keith Jarrett Trio...ahhhh!), as well as tenor/bass/drums trios (e.g., Sonny Rollins's Freedom Suite, Branford Marsalis's Trio Jeepy and The Beautyful Ones Are Not Yet Born) and...well...the mood varies, as others have said.

Edited by gdogus

I only listen to Boney James. That dude is AWESOME!

What about Slim Man??

Actually, a top-drawer sax-playing friend of mine once played congas for Slim Man (as a local pickup musician), at some dance-club here in Kansas City. He (my buddy) had been co-listed in the back of the local jazz rag, both in the 'sax' section, and also as a 'percussionist'. He and Slim Man played with canned background tracks, with about 3 layers of synths, and a drum machine.

My buddy's wife, his brother, and I -- we all got half-drunk, and actually went to the gig at the dance club. Some of the worst "live" music I think I've ever heard, but the crowd seemed to dig it, at least slightly. That, or maybe the syncronized lights from the dancefloor (where Slim and my bud were set up), when they piped the canned background tracks through the club's sound-system.

:alien::alien::alien:

Kind of like what David said, there's a difference between what I've been hearing live and what I listen to at home right now. Maybe it's because there's a great organisation in town that brings in avant-garde/free jazz musicians--Ken Vandermark, Ab Baars, etc.--or maybe it's because there's a great bar that features local experimental musicians, but that's what I've been hearing live lately.

At home I'm much more fond of music from the 60's that straddles the line between conventional funky hard-bop and the avant-garde music of the time. I'm especially fond of Mingus' albums from that period (who isn't?), or Archie Shepp's work, etc.

Then there are the times when I just want to hear the Three Sounds or Oscar Peterson...I guess I'm all over the map.

I'm always amazed at the different styles of jazz and I listen to most of them.

From Johnny Hodges to Eric Dolphy.

Dixieland is one style I do not listen to.

Wolff,

Not giving ALL jazz a chance, limits your chances of having a whole new jazz experience.

I LOVE Dixieland, but certainly don't only listen to it, to the exclusion of other styles. I'm open to ANY jazz, and make a decision on whether or not I like it on a case-by-case basis.

I'm surprised that you would make such a blanket statement about Dixieland, and it saddens me that you wouldn't like Jack Teagarden, Max Kaminsky and the miriad of Dixieland musicians available to you.

People who love JAZZ are not usually that closed minded. :rolleyes:

Wolff,

Not giving ALL jazz a chance, limits your chances of having a whole new jazz experience.

I LOVE Dixieland, but certainly don't only listen to it, to the exclusion of other styles. I'm open to ANY jazz, and make a decision on whether or not I like it on a case-by-case basis.

I'm surprised that you would make such a blanket statement about Dixieland, and it saddens me that you wouldn't like Jack Teagarden, Max Kaminsky and the miriad of Dixieland musicians available to you.

People who love JAZZ are not usually that closed minded.

Geez, it's not like the guy said all Dixieland sucks and that anyone who listens to it should have his brains eaten out by a yak. Just that he doesn't listen to it.

I personally have my gear stuck in the 50's - 60's right now, although that may change in the future. I'm actually reaching a point where I'm getting tired of recordings. I love the energy of live jazz but there's none to be had in my hometown.