Blue Note CDs - RVG editions vs Connoisseur Series

stevemtno

I've been thinking about building up my collection of the Connoisseur Series CDs. Several of them have now been re-released as RVG editions. Does anyone know if there are any differences between the two when we're talking about the same title?

And lastly, does anyone know of a complete listing for both series?

SteveMTNO

Hi there.

Here's a listing of all the RVG's: http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...54947&st=15 and I know there's a Conn list floating around somewhere. I would suggest using the search engine in either Recs or Reissues and it should come up. ;)

To answer your question concerning sound, I think practically everything from the '94 issues (that was RVG'd) benefited from the RVG treatment, and Hill's Smokestack in particular from the '95 issues was an improvement by a mile. However there are other Conns, imo, that sound fine to me such as Dial S for Sonny.

Anyway, welcome to the board.

Edited by Holy Ghost

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd be a little worried about the original tape masters that they keep pulling off the shelves to do yet again another digital re-master. It's The Source and in my experience every pass over the tape heads wears it down.

Jeez, let the tech guys do it right once a decade with the newest technology, not have the Marketing People decide when it can resell with a New! Improved! 50% More Wonderful! sticker on the box, like shampoo or toothpaste...

Edited by Ted O'Reilly

To my ears the later remastered RVG's of the early Conns on CD sound better.

The 180 gr vinyl of the Conns blow away both of the CD formats.

Thats just me.

Most of the new CD RVG's are priced around what a used copy of the Conn's would go for if you can still find them.

To my ears the later remastered RVG's of the early Conns on CD sound better.

The 180 gr vinyl of the Conns blow away both of the CD formats.

Thats just me.

Most of the new CD RVG's are priced around what a used copy of the Conn's would go for if you can still find them.

I've been kinda mixed luck on the few Conn vinyl titles I've picked up. As opposed to the Music Matters 45rpm 180g vinyl, which has been uniformly outstanding. The Acoustic Sounds titles sound great too, but the covers suck.

• 9 years later...