Roy Brooks & The Artistic Truth

peterintoronto

According to various blogs, Roy Brooks & The Artistic Truth's 'Ethnic Expressions' is being re-issued by P-Vine on CD and LP sometime in November.

Does anyone know how to obtain this one apart from http://www.hmv.co.jp/product/detail/3681620 ?

I've never heard it, but it looks amazing. Plus, the re-issue will cost about $2500 less than the original!

Edited by peterintoronto

I'd like to hear that one but yeah, it usually goes for a lot (mostly around a grand though I did see one at near 3x that). If the reissue is around $30, as HMV has it listed, it'd be a fair price.

If it's the concert I'm thinking of from the 70's, it has an all-star lineup but is really very underwhelming artistically, much much less than the sum of its parts. grossly underrehearsed and not well thought out, like so many of the things from that period. There is a lot of gold from that era, but also a lot of dross. I heard this one again recently, and it sounded like dross then and sounds like dross now. Save your money. Make sure you have 'The Free Slave' by Brooks, from a couple of years before. That one, originally on Muse and reissued on CD on 32Jazz, is a gem.

I'd like to hear that one but yeah, it usually goes for a lot (mostly around a grand though I did see one at near 3x that). If the reissue is around $30, as HMV has it listed, it'd be a fair price.

If it's the concert I'm thinking of from the 70's, it has an all-star lineup but is really very underwhelming artistically, much much less than the sum of its parts. grossly underrehearsed and not well thought out, like so many of the things from that period. There is a lot of gold from that era, but also a lot of dross. I heard this one again recently, and it sounded like dross then and sounds like dross now. Save your money. Make sure you have 'The Free Slave' by Brooks, from a couple of years before. That one, originally on Muse and reissued on CD on 32Jazz, is a gem.

Thanks for the insight. I will check out 'The Free Slave' first.

• 1 month later...

According to Amazon.com, the item has been discontinued by the manufacturer. Do you suppose it got pulled by Roy Brooks widow because the estate was not receiving any payment or royalties due to the re-issue on P-Vine? The Cd and Lp were selling on e-bay over the last couple of weeks but are drying up fast. Anybody know?

http://www.amazon.com/Ethnic-Expressions-R...5686&sr=1-1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Album received the other day and listened to in it's entirety this evening. There are many excellent ideas in the album, some that work, some that don't. Overall, a pretty essential album.

Was sad to come across this though: http://www.metrotimes.com/editorial/story.asp?id=2746 as I didn't realize his life had been so difficult.