What's on your wall?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My pride and joy: the original painting used for the cover of Mingus Ah Um. Directly below it is my first press mono album, also framed. I'll try to post a photograph.

Holy cow! Maybe should not have let the cat out of the bag on that... :ph34r:

I have quite a few framed posters (mostly transit/train related) but also a framed poster of Stuart Davis' Super Table (from right around the time the Terra Art Museum went out of business and they were giving them away for free. *

cassidy12-17-6s.jpg

I don't have anything that is strictly jazz-related on the walls.

I also have a few original paintings, mostly abstract. I'll try to get some of them posted.

* They were giving away unframed posters for free, just to be clear.

I always like Stuart Davis's work. He's probably a lot better known in the U.S. than over here. There's an exhibition currently at the Whitworth Art Gallery, Manchester of American prints: Hopper to Pollock. A surprising number have jazz themes.

Edited by BillF

At work--a Rhino poster for the Central Avenue Sounds box-set, a Miles KIND OF BLUE poster, the Francis Wolff Coltrane poster that came with a Mosaic box or some such a few years back, and Mark Sheldon's "Great Day in Indy" photo.

At home, a WPA-poster calendar and not much else--most of the wall-space is hidden behind book and CD shelving. :crazy:

I always like Stuart Davis's work. He's probably a lot better known in the U.S. than over here. There's an exhibition currently at the Whitworth Art Gallery, Manchester of American prints: Hopper to Pollock. A surprising number have jazz themes.

That sounds like fun. I managed to get to the Manchester once and saw the Manchester Art Gallery and also the Lowry in Salford that was having a bigger than usual exhibit on Lowry. I think I missed out on the Whitworth. Too bad.

Some of Stuart Davis' works are really quiet jazz-inflected and he is towards the top of my personal favorite list of artists. I actually shelled out for his Catalogue Raisonne (still around on Amazon for slightly less than I paid). Funny story. I was in City Lights Bookstore with a friend and saw one behind the counter. I mentioned it to my friend that I owned a copy, and he asked the clerk if he could take a look. The guy pretty much sneered at us and said he didn't want people pawing through it! Hell, we weren't that scruffy. But yeah, the odds of my friend buying a copy were awfully low.

• 10 years later...

Reviving an old thread with a photo of Peter Brotzmann in my listening room. I acquired this photo from Melbourne photographer Tobias Titz, who shot it on large format Polaroid when Peter Brotzmann was visiting Melbourne a few years ago. I had it professionally framed behind anti-reflective glass. I like this photo a lot. It shows the serious person I have seen in concert.

bro_20191114_0001qjj1m.jpg

On 10/13/2009 at 11:44 PM, brownie said:

This Herman Leonard classic!

LesterYoung49.JPG

Me too.  Probably last photo I'll ever buy but I had to have it.  Also Leonard's Dexter and Francis Wolfe Trane.  (2 of them).  One by unknown photographer of Miles and one director Paul Brickman took of Bill Evans.  

21 minutes ago, Ken Dryden said:

I've never been on a jazz cruise, but  one of my station's members did, got a number of artists who took part to autograph it, then gave it to me some time before I retired in 2015. The sad thing is that i don't remember the full name of the man who gave it to me.

IMG_0942.jpg

Very nice. I think I can decipher Nat Adderley and Dick Hyman.

IMG-3673.jpg

https://www.cafeoto.co.uk/shop/anthony-braxton-zim-music-three-day-residency-1/

ANTHONY BRAXTON ZIM MUSIC – THREE DAY RESIDENCY A2 SILKSCREENED POSTER

On occasion of the very special residency by Anthony Braxton we have a screenprinted poster available, designed by Oliver Barrett, printed on thick, quality paper in a limiited edition of 100 numbered copies. 

Dead centre above my living room stereo system.

• 1 year later...
55 minutes ago, bresna said:

"You are only allowed to upload 102.4 kb"

I can't post a picture here with that limitation.

I commonly use a site hosting  temporarily & freely pictures such as postimg and retrieve the jpg/png link  just after the upload to copy/paste it here.

I just bought a framed reproduction of the Prestige cover of Monk & Rollins. A long dream of mine that goes back some years. Thanks to a site that has them: Fine Art of America, of which I learned thanks to a member here. I had seen it previously, but long ago, from Concord. But that isn't available anymore. Now I'll have to decide what to do with it.

On 10/15/2021 at 2:00 PM, felser said:

John Coltrane - Blue Train | Original Vintage Poster | Chisholm Larsson  Gallery

I've never seen that poster anywhere else but it stayed on my bachelor apartment living room wall thru many moves and many push-pin punctures. Pretty sure I found it in St. Louis, at Vintage Vinyl, very early in my jazz journey.  :tup

Edited by Dan Gould

On 14/11/2019 at 4:09 AM, Misterioso said:

Very nice. I think I can decipher Nat Adderley and Dick Hyman.

Here's a record of the occasion: https://www.jazzmessengers.com/en/2462/nat-adderley/live-at-the-floating-jazz-festival-1994

Nat Adderley, cornet
Vincent Herring, alto sax
Rob Bargad, piano
Walter Booker, bass
Jimmy Cobb, drums

I recognize Flip Phillips' signature on the top left. He was also there the previous year: https://www.discogs.com/release/9520470-Flip-Phillips-At-The-Helm-Live-At-The-1993-Floating-Jazz-Festival

There's also Dick Hyman's.

Edited by hopkins