What's on your wall?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a bunch of stuff on the walls of my studio at school, mostly framed posters of Miles, Dizzy, Monk, Trane, Bird and Duke, plus the Great Day in Harlem poster and a mounted copy of Sonny's Way Out West record cover. I've gotten quite a few things over the years from Allposters.com- I usually wait until they have sales. They have some nice gig posters for Miles, Duke, Pops, Basie, Trane etc. I'm surrounded by the cats!

I also picked up one of those 7" books of Blue Note covers and covered my office door with them. Quite a conversation piece.

Some nice stuff y'all have!

At work I have the Gary Larson cartoon cover for Herb Ellis/Red Mitchell: Doggin' Around as a framed poster. Plus a few autographed photos, including Oscar Peterson, Milt Hinton, Clark Terry & James Williams, Dave Brubeck, Gene Harris, Eliane Elias, Ken Peplowski, Marian McPartland and a few others. No jazz stuff hanging at home, not even in my basement.

I have a poster from the 2007 Portland Blues Festival that's signed by everyone who appeared that year. Among others, Koko Taylor, Pinetop Perkins, Dan Hicks, Brian Auger, Joan Armatrading, Mavis Staples, Eric Burdon and The Neville Brothers. I also have a framed cover of an EP by a long ago Portland band called Sleazy Pieces that's signed by their lead guitarist and local music icon, Steve Bradley. Also, a picture of some unknown, uncomfortable looking jazz band circa early '30's that I picked up at an antique shop many years ago. But my pride and joy is neither jazz nor music related. It's a framed and matted B&W picture of Ralph Branca and Bobby Thomson taken after Thomson hit "the shot heard 'round the world" that put the Giants in the 1951 World Series. Accompanying the picture are each of their autographs and their baseball cards from the 1951 Bowman set.

Up over and out.

I've got some nice music-related artwork, including half a dozen pieces by Georgia artist George Davidson. Those are all under glass and don't photograph well, but here is "Saks" by Georgia folk artist Black Joe Jackson:

post-11697-1255397152_thumb.jpg

I've also got a picture of me with Anthony Braxton and autographed pictures of Danny and Blue Lu Barker.

I've got some nice music-related artwork, including half a dozen pieces by Georgia artist George Davidson. Those are all under glass and don't photograph well, but here is "Saks" by Georgia folk artist Black Joe Jackson:

I've also got a picture of me with Anthony Braxton and autographed pictures of Danny and Blue Lu Barker.

Looked up Jackson. Interesting, outsider art. Thanks for the heads up. I'm in Atlanta in a few weeks... know of any galleries that display / sell his work?

Guest Bill Barton

Let's see...

A framed, autographed poster for Ornette Coleman's Monday, May 25, 1981 concert at Dartmouth College. The artwork is by Sarah Sully. This was the first concert of a Prime Time world tour and always brings back great memories. "Reserved seats $6.50 Students $3.50"

I was privileged to attend the sound-check and hear Ornette blaze through some Charlie Parker heads at the speed of light and interview him for my radio show.

An intense, melancholy woodblock print of a chunky, somewhat disheveled Charlie Parker by Peter Bodge.

Two linoblock prints by my friend Roy Newton, one of Thelonious Monk and the other of Dexter Gordon. The Monk is a very special piece. Roy captured the Monk-ness, that's for sure.

Posters for the 2007 Ballard Jazz Festival in Seattle and the 2008 World Rhythm Festival. The former summons up particularly fond memories of an absolutely killer set by the Moutin Reunion Quartet.

Small framed prints with Chinese characters for "long life" and "serenity."

A few of my own photos, including the one of Von Freeman playing at Tula's in Seattle that serves as my current avatar on the Big O and another favorite, Satoko Fujii at the Western Front in Vancouver.

Soon to come will be a few more non-jazz-related items that have been in storage.

Maybe one of these days I'll actually come up with photos of these...

Boy, how I envy you all ...

How do you manage to keep that much free space for framed pics and artwork?

My house isn't THAT small but the surface of 2 of the 4 walls in our "music room" is taken up by records, more records and then music books, more music books, etc.

Walls in other rooms have been covered (partly by shelving for other books) to the DESIRED (!) extent so what is there left in the music room?

A narrow strip of wall surface both sides of the window decorated by framed copies of a few Herman Leonard pics (Dexter Gordon and Terry Gibbs), and ONE measly free wall surface accentuated by a framed poster of a 1998 (ex-Bill Haley's) Comets concert (courtesy my better half as to her it holds fond memories) and a copy of the 1960 JAZZ KALENDER (obviously no pages get torn from that one anymore) - and even that sole remaining surface is diminishing as another row of CD shelving is crawling up from underneath. :rolleyes:

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Looked up Jackson. Interesting, outsider art. Thanks for the heads up. I'm in Atlanta in a few weeks... know of any galleries that display / sell his work?

Don't know of any right now. There's a big "folk art" show every August where you can usually find some of his stuff.

My wife bought this painting for me. She did good - of all of Jackson's paintings that I've seen, this is my favorite.

I have a large print of the cover art of the Miles Davis and Gil Evans Columbia Studio Recordings box set ("won" when the set first came out, sent a postcard in to Columbia and was shocked to actually receive this) and I have six wonderful drawings by former member (well he doesn't post any longer) Don Van Selus, all gifts from Don and beautiful! Don's darawings are jazz portraituures (Roney, Shorter, Ellington, Hubbard, Green and Peterson) done from photographs.

My late wife had the Miles-Gil print framed . . cost me 300 plus! But it's beautiful.

Edited by jazzbo

My pride and joy: the original painting used for the cover of Mingus Ah Um. Directly below it is my first press mono album, also framed. I'll try to post a photograph.

Holy cow! Maybe should not have let the cat out of the bag on that... :ph34r:

I have quite a few framed posters (mostly transit/train related) but also a framed poster of Stuart Davis' Super Table (from right around the time the Terra Art Museum went out of business and they were giving them away for free. *

cassidy12-17-6s.jpg

I don't have anything that is strictly jazz-related on the walls.

I also have a few original paintings, mostly abstract. I'll try to get some of them posted.

* They were giving away unframed posters for free, just to be clear.

Edited by ejp626

Here is the second.

post-667-1255801420_thumb.jpg

Here in Chicago, Around the Coyote has somewhat stupidly decided to leave Wicker Park. I went to the subsequent art show in the FlatIron Building (Around the Coyote in everything but name) and after some thought picked this up. Sometimes I make a decision in an hour or so (especially if I am at Art Chicago and the paintings are only on display for a weekend). Other times I really agonize over it, but of course a lot has to do with the price.