Charlie Rouse

Morganized

g08770ffor2.jpg

Been giving this one a lot of spins lately. It has one of the best versions of Ruby My Dear that I can recall. No surprise in that I guess, I mean he should know Monk better than anyone, but....He nails it on this one. Complete understanding of the tune and he gets so much out of it. His phrasing and intonation on this one are simply beautiful.

I have always liked the tune. One of my favorite Monk tunes actually; but this version is a stand out.

Other than Monk himself, any other great recorded performances of this classic tune??

Edited by Morganized

• 4 weeks later...

g08770ffor2.jpg

Been giving this one a lot of spins lately. It has one of the best versions of Ruby My Dear that I can recall. No surprise in that I guess, I mean he should know Monk better than anyone, but....He nails it on this one. Complete understanding of the tune and he gets so much out of it. His phrasing and intonation on this one are simply beautiful.

I have always liked the tune. One of my favorite Monk tunes actually; but this version is a stand out.

Other than Monk himself, any other great recorded performances of this classic tune??

This is a wonderful cd. Touching how he was still so good and so deep a player few weeks before his death.

I think you should not miss Carmen McRae version, on Carmen Sings Monk, her late masterpiece. Rouse himself plays in two live tracks on the cd; Ruby 'only' has a beautiful solo from Clifford Jordan.

g08770ffor2.jpg

This is a wonderful cd. Touching how he was still so good and so deep a player few weeks before his death.

I think you should not miss Carmen McRae version, on Carmen Sings Monk, her late masterpiece. Rouse himself plays in two live tracks on the cd; Ruby 'only' has a beautiful solo from Clifford Jordan.

Hey thanks Armando.........spinning it right now. I always liked that cd. Good one to revisit and you are right about Jordan's solo. However, I still marvel at Rouse's treatment of the tune on Epistrophy! :)

It is such a good tune. Performed by almost everyone at one time or another; some better than others. Most sound pretty good to me.

Thanks again.