Removing Masking Tape from seams

clifford_thornton

I would try Bestine. found at art supply stores.

Try to apply it with a brush to the edge away from the seam ... stuff evaporates fast ... then lift and apply under the tape till it gives. The stuff will get "inside" the cardboard but will evaporate out after it gets warmed up. Any glue residue can be wiped up wit ha soft paper towel with a little Bestine on it. It should not damage the mylar but pulling up too quickly can cause the top layer of the cover to bubble and become removed from the other plies.

Anybody got a fool-proof method for deftly removing tape from seams? I've heard of blow-drying, but any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

If it is masking tape, electrical tape, or some other heavy duty tape, I use a hot-air gun, simular to a blow-dryer, but stronger. After removing the tape, there will be a residue of adhesive, which you will need a solvent to remove. I use lighter fluid, applied liberally and wiped with a paper towel. Sometimes it will take several passes to remove all of the adhesive.

Masking tape is an insidious problem with albums covers, and sometimes it can be difficult to remove! Old fashioned clear tape turns yellow and dries out after several years, and is usually easy to remove. "Invisible" or "magic" tape usually doesn't bother me, so I leave it.

I usually employ high humidity to remove stiffened masking tape without fear of tearing the cover. I strongly recommend taking afflicted records to Paraguay.

Seriously, thank you, Stereojack and MwtGA in particular, for the good advice. Much more sophisticated that the BeBop sledgehammer approach.