barbara long, jazz singer

alocispepraluger102

• 1 month later...

She recorded also some songs with Herb Geller I believe...

That was on Geller's 'Gypsy' album on Atco. Music based on songs from the musical.

Geller was helped by the Jones brothers (Thad, Hank and Elvin) plus Scott LaFaro on the tracks with Barbara Long.

An old favorite (the album) of mine. Don't think it's been reissued on CD!

• 6 years later...
On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2009 at 1:00 AM, brownie said:

That was on Geller's 'Gypsy' album on Atco. Music based on songs from the musical.

Geller was helped by the Jones brothers (Thad, Hank and Elvin) plus Scott LaFaro on the tracks with Barbara Long.

An old favorite (the album) of mine. Don't think it's been reissued on CD!

Stumbled on to this album due to somebody posting it on YouTube as a cut from the Savoy record, kinda tripped me out, didn't recognize anything about it as Savoy, so got to researching, Found it, so I ordered it. It's on that Sonos Frescos label, or whatever it's called, that Spanish place that puts out all the jazz records that have already been put out, you know the one I mean. Georgie Poodles, that guy.

Anyway, it's a pretty good listen, Elvin is totally unmistakable, some of the tunes are pianoless, which, June 9/10, 1959, are we mirroring Mulligan, hearing Ornette (this is Herb Geller, remember, he had already heard Ornette up close and personal, him and Lorraine), of did Hank get caught in traffic one day?

And Barbara Long. On Atco?!?!?!?!?!