Lou Donaldson Live in NYC this week

Peter Johnson

As some of you may know, Lou Donaldson and his regular quartet (including the Turbanator, HELLYEAH!) are playing at the Vanguard this week.

I had been planning on going to this show with my wife; as it turns out, she's on call this week and won't be able to make the trek north (other than Wednesday, and neither of us relishes the idea of negotiating the New Jersey turnpike on the busiest travel day of the year).

Is anyone planning on going to this show (two sets/night, Tuesday-Sunday)? I'm thinking about going for one or both sets on Friday night, and thought it would be nice to meet up with anyone who's planning on being there.

Drop me a PM or reply here!

**Edited to add show report

Edited by Peter Johnson

Oh man oh man oh man oh man oh MAN!!!

Can I get a HELLYEAH!!!

As someone who just starting getting crazy into Blue Note and soul jazz artists in 1999 (despite earlier introductions to both, and jazz in general), seeing Sweet Poppa Lou and the Turbanator live last night (two sets) has GOT to be the highlight of my live jazz experiences thus far.

The first set was 9:00, and I arrived (three hours after leaving Philadelphia, traffic SUCKED :angry: ) barely in time for opening (8:00). Fortunately, I was third in line behind two couples. With my advance reservations, I ducked right in, and I was seated, and I'm not kidding about this, TWO FEET from Dr. Smith's Hammond. I was by myself (my wife was on call), so busied myself for the next hour reading VV.

At 9:00 the lights went down, and the magic was about to begin. I'll hit some of the highlights.

Lou & company started the magic with a rousing version of Blues Walk. Everyone was in fine form right off the bat--this is a group that understands its inter-player dynamics WELL--and the song was tight from the get go. Lou kicked off a set of three solos, giving way to Randy Johnston on guitar (he actually seemed a bit off last night, had me wondering if, because Lou was so ON, he was trying to get up to snuff with frenetic, rather than thoughtful, solos). Then the good doctor took over with, literally, the most extraordinary solo I've ever seen in my life. He started on the (soulstream/b-3er, correct me if I'm wrong) upper octaves of the top manual with a light, quiet, barely-touched-with-leslie sound that felt as though it was coming down from the heavens above. It was THAT ethereal. It didn't stay that way long, though, because Lonnie pulled a demon out of his hat and whipped that organ and the crowd into the craziest, full-stop, full-leslie solo that anyone present, by the sound of things, had ever heard. It was other-wordly. Fukushi Tainaka FELT Lonnie's solo, and at the most extreme, chaotic and beautiful climax moment of all, Dr. Smith jumped off the bench, got to the ground and CONTINUED the solo by playing it WITH HIS HANDS on the pedals. Lou was wailing with excitement, Randy Johnston was so astounded he was barely able to comp, at one point laying out and just watching.

I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THIS IN MY LIFE.

As quickly as it began, Lonnie's solo was over, and the crowd was so loud it was nearly impossible to tell that the group played the last bridge and sailed through one last chorus to wrap up the first fifteen minutes of a seriously ecstatic rendition of BLUES WALK.

Suffice it to say, with my vantage point, I spent the rest of the concert emotionally spent, sitting back with my scotch and a big :rlol on my face.

Completely warmed up at this point, the band played CHEROKEE next, followed by a ballad (the name of which I can't recall), which Lou announced as, "for all of the foreigners in the audience who aren't familiar with American Music, that was 'Don't Step on my Blue Suede Shoes. Elvis is in the building!" :lol: Next was a smashing rendition of "MIDNIGHT CREEPAAAAAAH" [spelling/emphasis Lou's] complete with a blissed-out stop-time/carnival-organ bridge and other rhythmic antics by Tanaka and Dr. Smith, who were unbelievably tight and in the pocket and appeared to be daring Lou to miss the beat. They failed.

The band cooled it out for a bit with a BLUES which he opted to sing, much to the delight of the crowd. Timely lyrics, designed to please the crowd:

Went to the white house

Sat in the president's chay-uh

G.W. Bush came in, said

Lou, what you doin' he-ah?

Oh he's in a mess'a trouble

He ain't lovin' life right now...

'Cause when I woke up the next mornin'

Not one weapon of mass destruction had been found!!!!

And they wrapped it up with a song from one of the BN records--not sure which one ("It's still available--buy it, we need the money!")

After the first set (10:30), the "management" announced that the second set was sold out, but "please come back on Sunday. " I hung back--after everyone left, I asked the manager if I could stay for the second set, and he let me. In between, I hit the W.C., and in negotiating the rabbit-warren that is the VV's restroom area, walked past the "green room"--there were Dr. Smith and Lou, just sitting there, shooting the shit. I politely knocked, introduced myself, and thanked them for an incredible performance that night, and quite a few years of musical enjoyment prior. They couldn't have been nicer, and appeared genuinely thrilled that someone took the time to tell them this. A true highlight of my life, meeting these giants of music.

The second set wasn't as blisteringly unreal as the first, but contained some very nice highlights, including a 20-minute version of ALLIGATOR BOGALOO, an incredible 8-minute long drum solo (very evocative of Blakey) by Mr. Tanaka, and an hysterical version of WHISKEY DRINKIN' WOMAN (lyric: "She put whiskey in her cornflakes; she put whiskey in her tea; if she got any left; she put it ALL IN ME!") to wrap up the night.

The lights came on, I buttoned up my coat and strolled into the cold New York night--very light on my feet, and possibly a year or two younger after watching these four extraordinary musicians put on the show of (my) lifetime.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Sweet Poppa Lou, Dr. Smith, Fukushi Tainaka and Randy Johnston for a truly unforgettable evening.