• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/3/2018 at 2:01 PM, WD45 said:

Picked up four of these Transition titles last week at a Half Price Books:

• Donald Byrd - Byrd Blows on Beacon Hill
  • Lucky Thompson - Lucky Strikes
  • Sun Ra - Jazz By Sun Ra, Vol. 1
  • Doug Watkins - Watkins at Large

They all have the booklets. Records look NM, though the Watkins has a split spine and the Sun Ra has some spine and seam splitting.

The Sun Ra booklet is a TRIP

wait what

On 8/3/2018 at 5:49 PM, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Original Transition LPs??? If true, just that Watkins LP with inserts alone is worth about $1,000, especially if the labels are somehow still attached to the plastic record.

The Watkins seems to be pressed on vinyl so those labels are firmly attached. The other three are styrene. Two have shed the labels (though they were in the sleeves).

37908762_449085082268647_644277366354765

38033259_254807465354662_619954006202830

37838666_785902018247154_816601549161417

On 8/6/2018 at 10:16 AM, clifford_thornton said:

wait what

It was a good day. :)

Also, did the 5" acetate 78s mentioned on the back of the booklet ever materialize? Seems like those would be even more hard-to-find...

5 hours ago, WD45 said:

The Watkins seems to be pressed on vinyl so those labels are firmly attached. The other three are styrene. Two have shed the labels (though they were in the sleeves).

It was a good day. :)

Also, did the 5" acetate 78s mentioned on the back of the booklet ever materialize? Seems like those would be even more hard-to-find...

I didn't think that Transition pressed their records in anything other than styrene so I wonder why yours looks like vinyl? I've been told that some owners of these records glued the labels back on themselves. Maybe that's what you have here?

On 8/5/2018 at 2:59 AM, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

you know i am noticing Byrds eye view was recorded at Harvard Square-- does that make that a live recording, i dont seem to recall it being live.  cause lee konitz at harvard squares a live recording, no?

According to Wilson’s liner notes, Byrd’s Eye View was recorded at a “large, well-appointed studio” in front of a “a small but hip crowd of jazz fans”. The recording engineer was none other than Arnie "Woo-Woo" Ginsburg.

Edited by sonnymax

2 hours ago, sonnymax said:

According to Wilson’s liner notes, Byrd’s Eye View was recorded at a “large, well-appointed studio” in front of a “a small but hip crowd of jazz fans”. The recording engineer was none other than Arnie "Woo-Woo" Ginsburg.

"The recording engineer was none other than Arnie "Woo-Woo" Ginsburg."
That's a hoot!

Edited by paul secor

• 1 year later...

Two of Tom Wilson's Transition recordings have never been released on LP (or CD): TRLP-8 "Pepper Adams-Curtis Fuller" and TRLP-18 "Jay Migliori". A song from each was released on the Transition Sampler (TRLP-30)- "Train's Strain" from TRLP-8 and "Something's Gotta Give" from TRLP-18. Perhaps the complete tapes exist in an archive that someday may come to light . 

10 minutes ago, Shrdlu said:

The Curtis Fuller/Pepper Adams session produced three tracks only. Michael Cuscuna found a tape of them and issued them. I have them on a CD of the Jazzwest Paul Chambers album. It's an RVG version with excellent sound.

Are those tracks on the Paul Chambers Mosaic Select as well?  (I have it, but it's currently buried beneath a wall of stuff.)  EDIT:  yes indeed, they are.

Edited by ghost of miles