Tom Wilson and the Transition Records Story

ghost of miles

On 11/6/2019 at 5:16 AM, Shrdlu said:

It is worth mentioning that the Japanese RVG CD of "Byrd's Eye View" has an extra track, "Crazy Rhythm", that did not fit onto the original LP and isn't on the other Japanese CD reissues. That track is on the Transition sampler, TRLP-8.

It is a Japanese cd, but it's in the Super Bit Jazz Classic series of 20 bit cd reissues in LP facsimile format, TOCJ-9351, and not an RVG cd.

The US two cd set came out the following year, 2002.

Edited by jazzbo

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I didn't realize it was mastered by Rudy, hadn't found any of these that I have (I don't have this one) to have his mastering.* I have a Watkins, which is part of a "Special Edition" RVG series (also have Birth of the Cool and Mercy, Mercy, Mercy from this series.) These three are 24 bit by RVG, not 20 bit masterings.

https://www.discogs.com/Doug-Watkins-Watkins-At-Large/release/7739826#images/40904986

*I just saw a good picture of the OBI on this release and see that it says 24 bit remastered by RVG. Interesting, that is the only one of the Super Bit Jazz Classic series I have seen that was a 24 bit remastering.

Edited by jazzbo

I have a beautiful set of Japanese produced Transition CDs released in 1994. They are exact versions of the LPs: 

TOCJ-5885 (TRLP-20) Watkins At Large

TOCJ-5886 (TRLP-4) Byrd's Eye View

TOCJ-5887 (TRLP-17) Byrd Blows On Beacon Hill

TOCJ-5888 (TRLP-19) Cecil Taylor Jazz Advance

TOCJ-5889 (TRLP-30) Jazz In Transition

TRLP-30 includes 2 tracks that were not included on the original LPs: "Crazy Rhythm" in Byrd's Eye View and  "Sweet & Lovely" in Cecil Taylor Jazz Advance. Also included in TRLP-30 is "Something's Gotta Give" from the Jay Migliori Quintet (TRLP-18). The notes in TRLP-30 have a discography of the TRLP-18 session which was recorded on November 7, 1955 in Boston. For unknown reasons this LP was never released and remains a mystery today. 

23 hours ago, Stonewall15 said:

TOCJ-5888 (TRLP-19) Cecil Taylor Jazz Advance

That is the best-sounding version of this album (in my opinion). Better than the Malcolm Addey transfer (which is excellent in its own right), and better than the Japanese RVG (too boomy for my taste). Buell Neidlinger's bass sound in particular shines. TOCJ 5888 pops up on eBay from time to time.