Dyes (in food, cosmetics, etc)

Try finding something for diarrhea (yuck, I know... but it happens on the road...) that doesn't have dye in it. Good luck.

Would the pills of Imodium be dye free? I think they're white in color (this saved me a couple of years ago when traveling.)

I'm glad I found this thread because I wanted to update my progress.

Since isolating my allergy to food dyes, I've done a lot of research on them and also on the "hidden" ingredients in foods that have dyes. I've also found that I'm allergic to sulfites, nitrites, and nitrates.

Just tonight I was reading more about these things and found this: http://www.sweetpoison.com/food-additives-to-avoid.html

When you start researching this stuff and paying attention to food labels, it gets pretty depressing. But my wife and I have made a concerted effort to not buy pre-packaged food, to remove all lunch meats / processed meats from our home, and pay very close attention to the labels.

I mentioned earlier that my symptoms have cleared up and that's true. I still have limited break-outs now and again, mainly from hidden ingredients; it's especially hard to avoid since I'm on the road all the time. But I'm getting wiser at knowing / sensing / assuming things have dye. As a result, I've lost about 20 lbs, weight that I've certainly needed to lose. Mainly it's because I can't eat anything sweet and I used to have an outrageous sweet tooth. Even things like chocolate candy bars are off the list for me, but not necessarily because of dyes. Surprisingly, since I've cut so much sugar out of my diet, I can't eat regular candy bars (think Snickers, Hershey's, etc.) simply because now they taste way too sweet to me. Too much "sugar" (actually high fructose corn syrup usually). Nasty!!!

The other surprising thing is that some issues have cleared up that I did not think were related. Namely and without going into to too much detail, my digestive system is much more regular than it's been in the last 10 years. Seriously. I thought I was lactose intolerant, but now I can eat ice cream (Breyer's only... no dyes, no artificial ingredients) or have a bowl of cereal without any digestive issues at all. If I tried that before, my stomach would be doing back-flips all night and the ... ahem ... end result was not pretty.

The other issue that has cleared up is my jaw, which was clicking loudly and sometimes painfully when I ate. And I swear my other joints feel better, too. This is probably due to the fact that I'm eating better overall, but I honestly think my body was trying to tell me "Enough of this shit!!!" I mean, I've always ate vegetables and fruits but I think I was putting so much other crap in my body that it didn't matter.

Jim - I'm so glad to read all of this. Very cool that you were able to turn all that around just by diet alone.

I have had some of the same problems in later years, and had to cut out food containing chemicals and high sugar content, as well as being very strict on what kind of soaps, shampoos I use. Before that I had regular rashes that were very dry and itching, and I had to use hydrocortizon cream regularily. Going over to organic or slow food, and reducing intake of processed food was the way to go for me. Taking natural fats like olive oil, cod liver oil and GLA was also helpful.

I have found the Jason Aloe Vera products to be helpful for me as they are mild and don't contain all the chemicals that is in everything nowadays. Cutting out fabric softener for clothes and linen was also important.

I have had some of the same problems in later years, and had to cut out food containing chemicals and high sugar content, as well as being very strict on what kind of soaps, shampoos I use. Before that I had regular rashes that were very dry and itching, and I had to use hydrocortizon cream regularily. Going over to organic or slow food, and reducing intake of processed food was the way to go for me. Taking natural fats like olive oil, cod liver oil and GLA was also helpful.

Your last point, that's the key I think to overall reduction in inflammation in your body. Take as much omega-3 oils (DHA and EPA), especially from fish sources, as you can.