Ghost,

I absolutely agree. I'm reading Revolution right now. As much as I'm enjoying it, I really wish I knew more about music. All its talk of chord progressions, structure, middle eights etc. goes right over my head. One other minor nit pick. When a book is as fully annotated as this, I wish there was a better was of indicating the references other than by the use of tiny little numbers. Even if they bolded the numbers it would make it easier to keep track.

Back to the subject at hand, these two books are clearly targeting the Beatles fan who has everything, plus a fair amount of disposable income.

Up over and out.

Back to the subject at hand, these two books are clearly targeting the Beatles fan who has everything, plus a fair amount of disposable income.

Up over and out.

Right--and I shouldn't begrudge Beatles obsessives such books if they want 'em. After all, one of the next must-have items on my book-shopping list is the updated Coltrane reference guide, which I'll be perusing in my big glass house. :crazy:

Damn... all you need is REVOLUTION IN THE HEAD, really.

Totally agree with you there, however I would add this one as essential if you're a "Revolution in the Head" fan, it's just as much as an eye opener.

41NWDPUBkFL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Cliff,

According to Amazon's website, this book will not be available in the U.S. until June of next year but is currently available from Amazon.uk. Wonder what's up with that? At any rate, and more to the point, here's an interesting review of the Doggett book. Also mentioned therein are plans for a three volume biography by Mark Lewisohn that will begin in 2011. I must say, that sounds intriguing.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertai...tt-1792698.html

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

Damn... all you need is REVOLUTION IN THE HEAD, really.

Totally agree with you there, however I would add this one as essential if you're a "Revolution in the Head" fan, it's just as much as an eye opener.

41NWDPUBkFL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Cliff,

According to Amazon's website, this book will not be available in the U.S. until June of next year but is currently available from Amazon.uk. Wonder what's up with that? At any rate, and more to the point, here's an interesting review of the Doggett book. Also mentioned therein are plans for a three volume biography by Mark Lewisohn that will begin in 2011. I must say, that sounds intriguing.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertai...tt-1792698.html

Up over and out.

Yea, I don't know what is up with that book not being available in the US until next year, it seems odd considering the current Beatle mania that it isn't ready to go.

I'm not sure the review does the book justice though, I don't really think, "Doggett's book is essentially a sequel to Richard DiLello's account of "the wild rise and fall" of the Apple empire, The Longest Cocktail Party, published in 1972", it's a bit more detailed than that, but he is right in that, "Doggett's arcane detail will be too much for all but diehard fans", it's not for the faint hearted.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 years later...

Well, I’ve certainly changed my tune from 2009! Reading Mark Lewisohn’s Tune In (in both its standard and expanded form) helped instigate a deeper dive into books about the Beatles over the past few years. You Never Give Me Your Money, alluded to above, is an excellent look at the band members post-breakup, but I’m really here today to rave about a book I first read two years ago and am now rereading (after the disappointing announcement from Lewisohn that we won’t see Tune In V. 2, which will cover January 1963 through December 1966, until 2023 at the earliest):

Beatles ‘66: The Revolutionary Year

It’s a month-by-month look at what they were up to, both individually and as a band, with a number of anecdotes and quotes that were new to me. Some elaboration about how they came close to recording part of Revolver at Stax, a great reflective quote from Lennon in 1969 related to the whole bigger-than-Jesus controversy, great historical/cultural context... Steve Turner beat Lewisohn to the punch here, I’m afraid, at least for this particular year, though I’ve no doubt Lewisohn’s work will offer further revelations and insights, whenever it finally appears. (He’s not quite into Robert Caro/LBJ territory, only 61 at this point, but his current timeline hypothetically puts a concluding volume 3 circa 2033 or so.) Anyway... strong recommendation for Beatles ‘66.

Edited by ghost of miles

1 hour ago, ghost of miles said:

... from the unjustly-overlooked Black, Brown And Beatles;)

No-- a  mistake. I'm trying to post a picture of a book but can't seem to get it to work via Postimage.  

I bought this book remaindered for a couple of dollars many years ago but and find i refer to it often. 

Screen Shot 2020-05-14 at 5.54.57 PM 2.PNG

Edited by medjuck