Worst Rock Drummers

Dave James

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After their first couple albums I could never listen to the Who, but I'd blame Townsend over Moon.

I completely agree. The artier they got, the more their music suffered. I think The Who as a group, but mostly Townsend, got caught up in the fame and all the slick things they could do in the studio. IMO, it cost them the hard edge and chippiness that got them noticed in the first place. Once they became popular, it didn't take the boys long to completely forget where they came from. Nevertheless, I still love Keith Moon. A complete original. He's the personification of what is probably the Who's most memorable lyric, "hope I die before I get old."

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

Art Blakey or Elvin Jones could make much more volume and variety on only a small trap set (hi-hat, bass, snare, two toms, and two ride cymbals).

Reminds me how much Billy Higgins did on Jackie's Let Freedom Ring with just a snare, hi-hat and ride cymbal (I think).

Edit to fix terms.

Edited by Holy Ghost

• 3 weeks later...

Vinnie Coliauta's a pretty bad drummer (technically proficient, but overkill), but he was recently eviscerated in a different thread.

I've always been disappointed with Robert Williams's work with Beefheart - he sounds so careful, as if he's reading off sheet music. Such a sad comparison with Drumbo, who just swings, drives the music. A great comparison is on Doc At The Radar Station - there's such a difference on the track Drumbo drums on ("Sheriff of Hong Kong").

I've always disliked the drumming on Blonde on Blonde - it's so placid. Again, a good comparison is the one track with The Hawks ("Sooner or Later One of Us Must Know") - I forget if that was Levon Helm or Bobby somebody, probably the latter.

Ah, The Shaggs...a perfect example of so bad it's good.

I always thought that

was their greatest..... hit???!!!!???? :rfr

If listened to in the right frame of mind, and at the right age (early college, say,) and under the right chemical influence...it's totally great. But then, I guess you could say that about anything.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've been listening a lot lately to The Doors newly released live shows from the Felt Forum. I always had my suspicions about the adequacy of John Densmore, and they are justified in spades on this set. He's pretty much just a hacker. This is confirmed during the final set on January 18th, when they bring out Dallas Taylor, he of CSN&Y's Deja Vu and Stephen Stills' Manassas. The difference is pretty hard to ignore. Densmore has zero subtlety. Taylor has nothing but.

I've been listening a lot lately to The Doors newly released live shows from the Felt Forum. I always had my suspicions about the adequacy of John Densmore, and they are justified in spades on this set. He's pretty much just a hacker. This is confirmed during the final set on January 18th, when they bring out Dallas Taylor, he of CSN&Y's Deja Vu and Stephen Stills' Manassas. The difference is pretty hard to ignore. Densmore has zero subtlety. Taylor has nothing but.

yeah. i hear that. my opinion is that none of the guys in The Doors were very good players. all kinda lame in my opinion. but Morrison had a real nice, deep and rich quality to his voice, wrote some good tunes, and sure had enough attitude and imagination to make a rock and roll band lift off. no Morrison, no Doors. even with all the same songs. but that's stating the obvious.

as far as the Phil Collins thing goes - he was a great drummer. there's really no debate there if you know his playing history back through the 70s w/ Brand X and both of the Genesis bands (Gabriel and post-Gabriel). tons of excellent music there.

and Norm posted this amazing vid of Bonham (for my money, the greatest rock drummer of all-time):

damn. anybody else notice that he starts off his solo by quoting Max Roach's "The Drum Also Waltzes"? he's a fucking bad ass.

i bought a vinyl Zeppelin bootleg from around that same year back in the early 80s. i remember very clearly Bonham's solo from that bootleg also quoting/referencing "The Drum Also Waltzes" but much more extensively. i've since lost that bootleg. every time i think of that i kick myself in the ass. oh well...

Edited by thedwork

yeah. i hear that. my opinion is that none of the guys in The Doors were very good players. all kinda lame in my opinion. but Morrison had a real nice, deep and rich quality to his voice, wrote some good tunes, and sure had enough attitude and imagination to make a rock and roll band lift off. no Morrison, no Doors. even with all the same songs. but that's stating the obvious.

Clearly Morrison was the little engine that could when it came to The Doors. His voice, but more so, his personna was what made that band tick. However, I wouldn't underestimate Robbie Krieger. He is a way more than adequate quitarist. Not to mention the fact that Light My Fire was his idea.

Agree 100% on Bonham. Other than maybe Keith Moon, I can't think of anyone who was more important to the sound of his band.

Clearly Morrison was the little engine that could when it came to The Doors. His voice, but more so, his personna was what made that band tick. However, I wouldn't underestimate Robbie Krieger. He is a way more than adequate quitarist. Not to mention the fact that Light My Fire was his idea.

Agree 100% on Bonham. Other than maybe Keith Moon, I can't think of anyone who was more important to the sound of his band.

I agree with you on Krieger. I remember an old Rolling Stone Record Guide basically said Densmore was too laid back to kick out the jams and Manzarek sounded like he was fired from a cocktail lounge or words to that effect.

Here's a clip from the Doors Of The 21st Century tour that shows off Krieger nicely on Riders On The Storm. It also illustrates how much better the group would have been with a different drummer and a stand alone bass player. All things considered, not a bad choice to "play" Morrison although I might've looked into Val Kilmer's availability. The guy actually looks a little like Morrison might have looked had he survived. This is actually a pretty cool video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4zWSMlZnbQ

You might also want to check out the video from the same performance where Ray Manzarek appears to channel the spirit of Keith Jarrett during Light My Fire.

Edited by Dave James

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a clip from the Doors Of The 21st Century tour that shows off Krieger nicely on Riders On The Storm. It also illustrates how much better the group would have been with a different drummer and a stand alone bass player. All things considered, not a bad choice to "play" Morrison although I might've looked into Val Kilmer's availability. The guy actually looks a little like Morrison might have looked had he survived. This is actually a pretty cool video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4zWSMlZnbQ

You might also want to check out the video from the same performance where Ray Manzarek appears to channel the spirit of Keith Jarrett during Light My Fire.

He should be so lucky. The Doors are a classic example of right place, right time -- which is why their music sounds more dated than that Gil Melle futuristic soundtrack album :)