Horo releases coming out on CD in November

Hot Ptah

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dub a couple mint LP's and in ITALY/ SPAIN and BELIZE it's legit...!!!

What a joke...

My recollection of Horo albums were the awful pressings. My Loadstar isn't too bad but my Unity double is bad. The three or four single albums that passed through my collection were all bad to some degree.

If they do appear I'd like to get the Lester Bowie and the Sun Ra Quartets but I've really no confidence that we will ever see them remastered.

Edited by JohnS

I'd love to see the Horo material reissued, as long as it is done from the original tapes. If the CDs coming out are cheap vinyl rips, I think I'll still be trying to track down the original vinyls at a sub-premium price. It is hard to do, but occasionally possible, with the exception of the Sun Ra stuff. There are a few on the label that I have been trying to track down for years with no success (e.g., A European Proposal featuring Schiano/Rutherford/Mengelberg/Bennink, the large ensemble on Laboratorio Della Quercia, the Shepp albums, and the Rudd solo album).

About 12 years ago, when I first got on the internet, I recall that the guy that ran Horo was still selling his vinyl back stock, but I remember that one had to order in bulk. The price seemed high at the time--a few hundred bucks to place a minimum order, I think--but in retrospect it would have been worth doing. Did anyone order from him back then?

About 12 years ago, when I first got on the internet, I recall that the guy that ran Horo was still selling his vinyl back stock, but I remember that one had to order in bulk. The price seemed high at the time--a few hundred bucks to place a minimum order, I think--but in retrospect it would have been worth doing. Did anyone order from him back then?

I did. My first Horo order was around 1979, when I found a Horo ad in the back of some magazine - I think Jazz Journal International. I got Parabola by Gil Evans, Threads by Steve Lacy, and one more, but I don't remember which. After that I found a few more in stores, but never placed another order while the company was in business.

I somehow came across the website Aldo Sinesio set up to sell off his stock; when was it - about 10 years ago? I don't remember if there was a minimum requirement, but I bought as much as I felt I could afford at the time - MEV, Lacy, all the Sun Ra, Laboratorio della Quercia, Rudd, Adams/Pullen, Roach, etc. I was a little nervous about it, but sure enough, the crappy pressings with the orange labels showed up a few weeks later. I always meant to place another order, but then the site disappeared.

I still pick up a Horo occasionally. (If my wife sees this: please read that sentence carefully!) I got one of the Sam Rivers doubles about six months ago from an Ebay vendor - for what I thought was a seasonable price.

I bought a number of the Horos at Schoolkids Records in Ann Arbor, Michigan in the 1978-81 period. Only my student budget prevented me from buying others which I held in my hands and put back in the rack.

Then a long time jazz collector died in the early 2000s and his wife brought his collection to the Music Exchange in Kansas City, then one of the largest used record stores in the U.S. The owner, Ron Rooks, asked me if I wanted to buy the Horos out of the collection.

I mention this only to point out the unexpected sort of event which would have had to happen, for one to acquire Horos in the past ten years--unless you wanted to pay top dollar on ebay.

I brought my Sam Rivers Horo LP to his concert in Topeka, Kansas in 2008. His daughter encouraged the crowd to get Sam's autograph and buy the Sam Rivers T shirts and mugs which she was selling, after the concert. I asked Sam Rivers to autograph my Horo, which he did. His daughter asked him, "do we have that one?" Sam shook his head and said,"I don't know."

Edited by Hot Ptah