Horo releases coming out on CD in November

Hot Ptah

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I kinda think that Pudjol might be like the gangsters that deal drugs in a neighborhood, then put part of the profits back into the community to build a park so the kids will have a place to play - and so they will have another place to sell their drugs.

Ingenious, no?

Yes. I saw him at the J&R jazz store years ago selling his wares. He does look suspiciously like a gangster.

I do think he has a more direct involvement with all the offshoot bootleg labels than you imply, though.

One thing I've noticed is that the same pseudonyms pop up across all of these "labels". It's a semi-shallow attempt to appear valid, with an eye toward "we know you know, but we don't care".

I will say that I do purchase what I'm interested in, yet I hold no grudges against the copyright holders that refuse to release this stuff. Gotta get it where you can, when you can, I say.

All of the releases on the Italian Horo label have been long out of print and have never been reissued on CD to my knowledge. On November 10, the first batch of them is supposed to be released on CD, on Atomic Records:

Sun Ra "New Steps"

Archie Shepp "Mariamar"

Archie Shepp "Lybia"

Sam Rivers/Don Pullen "Black Africa! Villalago"

Lee Konitz/Martial Solal "Duplicity"

Johnny Griffin "Jazz a Confronto"

These releases are listed on dustygroove.com, amazon.co.uk, and hmv.co.jp. The latter also gives the full list of Horo's to be released.

Credit for this news goes to "sambrasa" on the AAJ site, who posted this news there recently.

Has anybody posted this link yet?

http://homepage.uab.edu/moudry/discog/horo.htm

One I'd really like to hear is Lester Bowie's African children. I'm fascinated by all these recommendations.

The Andorran conglomerates tend to put embarrassing stickers on their CD boxes like 'for professional collectors' or calling collections 'complete' which are nothing of the kind

From DMG's November newsletter:

For the FIRST TIME EVER! Rare HORO albums released on CD!

[We hope there will be more to come..]

SUN RA QUARTET With JOHN GILMORE/MICHAEL RAY/LUQMAN ALI - New Steps (Horo/Atomic; EEC) Sun Ra (piano, electric piano, organ); John Gilmore (tenor sax); Michael Ray (trumpet); Luqman Ali (drums). Recorded in Italy, January 2 & 7, 1978.

Originally issued on a 2-LP set, New Steps was the third of four projects Sun Ra (1914-1993) recorded for the Italian label Horo between 1976 and 1978. The quartet sessions represent a real pinnacle of creativity, even for this prolific period of the late 1970s when his record output hit a peak. Between 1977 and 1978 alone, Ra released some twenty albums and two video documents. As mentioned, the Italian tour presented Sun Ra mostly in a quartet format. Sun Ra played piano and electronic keyboards, including a Crumar Mainman. The sparse instrumentation is based on extraordinary and worthy contrasts. Luqman Ali played drums with Sun Ra around 1960, as Edward Skinner. This 1978 group represents his reappearance after an apparent absence of many years. The saxophone of John Gilmore, a soloist in Sun Ra aggregations since 1956, is paired with relative newcomer Michael Ray on trumpet.

CD $18

SAM RIVERS BLACK AFRICA With JOE DALEY/SYDNEY SMART + DON PULLEN - Villalago (Horo/Atomic; EEC) Sam Rivers (tenor sax, soprano sax, flute, piano, voice); Don Pullen (piano, track 3 only); Joe Daley (tuba, euphonium); Sidney Smart (drums, percussion)

Born Samuel Carthorne Rivers in El Reno, Oklahoma, on September 25, 1923 (and still active at the age of 86!), Sam Rivers is one of the most prominent of the free jazz players. Active in jazz since the early '50s, he earned wider attention during the diffusion of free jazz in the mid-'60s. This CD contains a complete performance by the Sam Rivers Black Africa Trio with Joe Dailey on tuba and euphonium, and Sidney Smart on drums and Percussion, and guest Don Pullen, recorded in Villalago, Italy, on July 24, 1976. Originally issued in a long out of print 2-LP set by the Italian Horo label.

CD $18

ARCHIE SHEPP QUINTET - Libya [aka Jazz A Confronto..plus] (Horo/Atomic 76811; EEC) Archie Shepp (tenor and soprano sax); Charles Greenlee (trombone); Dave Burrell (piano); David Williams (bass); Beaver Harris (drums)

A complete long unavailable session by the Archie Shepp Quintet recorded in Rome on September 28, 1975 for the legendary Italian Horo label. [This CD uses the cover from the Body And Soul album on Horo]

This set consists of Archie Shepp's complete session with his American group recorded in Rome, Italy, on September 28, 1975, and issued here on CD for the first time ever. This was the first of three sessions recorded by Shepp for the Italian label Horo, which were subsequently issued on the albums Jazz a Confronto #27, Body and Soul, Mariamar and The Tradition. While the first three albums contained the results of two sessions (those of September 28, 1975 and of October 16, 1975), The Tradition included a single Rome session taped on October 12, 1977. The session of September 28, 1975 yielded four titles, three by Shepp with his American group (included here), which were originally released on Jazz a Confronto #27 (Lybia and My Heart Cries Out to Africa) and Body and Soul (Dogon). The fourth title from that session, Tropical, featured Shepp with a mixture of Brazilian and Italian musicians plus trombonist Charles Greenlee. As this group would record the complete October 16, 1975 session, Tropical has been included with that date on our companion volume Mariamar (Atomic Records 76810).

CD $18

ARCHIE SHEPP - Mariamar ..plus (Horo/Atomic 76810; EEC) Archie Shepp (tenor and soprano sax); Charles Greenlee (trombone); Cicci Santucci (trumpet); Irio De Paula (guitar); Alessio Urso (bass); Afonso Vieira (drums)

A complete long unavailable session by the Archie Shepp Sextet with Charles Greenlee plus Italian and Brazilian guests. Recorded in Rome for the legendary Italian Horo label on October 16, 1975, to the five titles of that session, we have added Tropical, taped by the same formation on September 28, 1975 (the same day that Shepp recorded three long titles with his American quintet, now presented on our companion CD Lybia).

This set consists of Archie Shepp's complete session accompanied by a mixture of Brazilian and Italian musicians plus trombonist Charles Greenlee, recorded in Rome, Italy, on October 16, 1975. It is issued here for the first time ever on CD! This was the second out of three sessions recorded by Shepp for the Italian label Horo, which were subsequently issued on the albums Jazz a Confronto #27, Body and Soul, Mariamar and The Tradition. While the first three albums contained the results of two sessions (those of September 28, 1975 and of October 16, 1975), The Tradition included a single Rome session taped on October 12, 1977.

The session of October 16, 1975, included here in its entirety, produced five titles (tracks 1-5 of our CD), which originally appeared on the albums Mariamar (Mariamar, Tres Ideias, The Magic and Shepp's Mood) and Body And Soul (from Body And Soul). The latter album also included Dogon, by Shepp and his American group, recorded on September 28, 1975 (the three titles produced by the group on this date can be found on our companion volume Lybia (Atomic Records 76811), and Tropical, the fourth title taped that day. As Tropical was performed by the exact same formation as the October 16 session, we have included it here at the end of this CD for the sake of continuity.

CD $18

LEE KONITZ/MARTIAL SOLAL - Duplicity (Horo/Atomic; EEC) Lee Konitz (alto sax); Martial Solal (piano) The complete long unavailable album DUPLICITY, showcasing amazing duets by Lee Konitz and Martial Solal.

These recordings were originally issued by the legendary Italian Horo label on a long out of print 2-LP Set, which is included here in its entirety.

As Chris Sheridan mentioned in his extended original liner notes, Duplicity wasn't the first recorded collaboration between Lee Konitz (81-years old at this writing) and Martial Solal (82-years old at this writing; both Konitz and Solal were born the same year!). They had previously made a quartet album together titled European Episode in Rome on October 12, 1968 (with Henri Texier on bass and Daniel Humair on drums). Solal also recorded one tune on Konitz' album Satori, recorded in New York on September 30, 1974 (most of that album was recorded in a trio format, featuring Konitz, Dave Holland on bass and Jack DeJohnette on drums. Pianist Dick Katz also participated on one track). Konitz and Solal were also taped playing a live set together at the Antibes Jazz Festival, in France, on July 26, 1974 (with NHOP on bass and Daniel Humair again on drums). This was followed by Duplicity, which was originally issued on a 2-LP set by the Italian label Horo. It is included here in its entirety, and for the first time ever on CD. Even though the song titles seem strange, as Sheridan notes, most of them derive from the harmony of well-known standards. Words Have Been Changed is based on Three Little Words. Rhythm Sweet is based on I Got Rhythm, Esselle is based on Sweet And Lovely, November Talk is based on Indian Summer and Roman Walkings is based on All the Things You Are. Duplicity is unique in that it is their first duet experience together and their only studio album in this highly intimate format.

CD $18

JOHNNY GRIFFIN QUARTET - Jazz a confronto (Horo/Atomic; EEC) Johnny Griffin (tenor sax); Franco D'Andrea (piano); Giovanni Tommaso (bass); Bruno Biriaco (drums)

The complete long unavailable album JAZZ A CONFRONTO, recorded by the Johnny Griffin Quartet for the legendary HORO label in Rome during 1974. As a BONUS, The Pasta Parade, a tune based on Gershwin's Strike Up the Band, which completes the original session here on CD. It had only originally appeared on a compilation LP.

Tired of being underappreciated in the United States, many important American jazz musicians moved to Europe for extended parts of their careers. Johnny Griffin went to live in Europe in 1963. First he established himself in France, where he played with his fellow expatriate, Bud Powell, on several occasions. Griffin relocated to the Netherlands in 1978. The album included here was made for the Italian label Horo during those years in Europe. Recorded in Rome, Italy, Griffin is featured here in a quartet format backed by renowned Italian pianist Franco D'Andrea, bassist Giovanni Tommaso and drummer Bruno Biriaco. According to discographies, these are Griffin's only known recordings with either D'Andrea or Biriaco. Oddly enough, the Jazz a Confronto LP by Johnny Griffin seems to be (according to all discographies) the only existing testimony of his playing during all of 1974.

CD $18

• 3 weeks later...

<!--quoteo(post=970189:date=Oct 28 2009, 07:42 PM:name=jeffcrom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jeffcrom @ Oct 28 2009, 07:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=970189"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I hope these issue are legit and related to what's below. Back in February, I did an entry about Horo on my blog and got the following comment:

<i>I was assistant producer at HORO Records for several years, when I was in my teens. Aldo Sinesio, the producer, is on the verge of reissuing most of the HORO catalogue on CD, and I will produce the reissues. Lonehill Records has just ripped off a Teddy Wilson record from HORO, so, in order to avoid other "fakes" (the guys at Lonehill have just copied an LP), the catalogue wll be reissued almost in its entirety. Within May/June a series of recordings live by Freddie Hubbard, and an unissued recording, by pianist Dave Burrell and legendary drummer Sam Woodyard, will be out. I think you're the first person to get the news...

Cordially yours, Gianni Morelenbaum Gualberto</i>

Of course, we're considerably beyond May/June at this point, but I hope this is the beginning of the reissue program Gianni was talking about.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Again, we have to refer to this quote -- are they boots? Don't know yet.

The pseudo-Horo CDs just issued by Atomic Records simply are rip-offs. The real Horo CDs, completely remastered, will be out in a couple of months at the latest, starting with a 3-CDs package by Freddie Hubbard with David Schnitter, Billy Childs, Larry Klein and Carl Burnett. Atomic Records don't own a single Horo master. Those guys have just copied on CD some LP, which is simply dishonest. Lawyers will take care of them and their distributors. By June 2010 all the HORO Cds will be officially re-issued.

Best,

Gianni Morelenbaum Gualberto

"By June 2010 all the HORO Cds will be officially re-issued".

GMG

wOw!

Thanks Gianni, we were expecting a your signal from long time ...

You spoke to me about a fivefold album of Freddie Hubbard, but you also alluded to an unpublished duet between Dave Burrell and Sam Woodyard, this is true?

But Gianni, let us know if you reprint also the Jazz A Confronto series or, as they say "around" for a long time, only the best album of the series HDP and HZ.

And Aldo? he is involved in this magnificent and long-awaited event?

Thank you,

really

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have an update on when or whether these Horo albums will be released?

Reissuing music takes time. I'm sure Chuck can attest to this fact. In a February radio interview, Gianni Morelenbaum Gualberto said they were hoping that the first Horo reissues would be available in late May or June.

Thank you all for your info on this. I was just about to buy Sun Ra - "New Steps" at my local record store the other day, but couldn't go for the rediculous price of $21.99. The packaging and everything looked legit, and I love the song "When There Is No Sun" so much, I almost went for it...but fortunately I waited. With all the talk about this being a rip from an LP, I'm so glad that I didn't splurge.

If anyone knows when (or if) a true remaster is ever coming out with great sound, etc. (wishful thinking, I know)...please post any updated info you may have.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...