Horo releases coming out on CD in November

Hot Ptah

All of the releases on the Italian Horo label have been long out of print and have never been reissued on CD to my knowledge. On November 10, the first batch of them is supposed to be released on CD, on Atomic Records:

Sun Ra "New Steps"

Archie Shepp "Mariamar"

Archie Shepp "Lybia"

Sam Rivers/Don Pullen "Black Africa! Villalago"

Lee Konitz/Martial Solal "Duplicity"

Johnny Griffin "Jazz a Confronto"

These releases are listed on dustygroove.com, amazon.co.uk, and hmv.co.jp. The latter also gives the full list of Horo's to be released.

Credit for this news goes to "sambrasa" on the AAJ site, who posted this news there recently.

Edited by Hot Ptah

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope these issue are legit and related to what's below. Back in February, I did an entry about Horo on my blog and got the following comment:

I was assistant producer at HORO Records for several years, when I was in my teens. Aldo Sinesio, the producer, is on the verge of reissuing most of the HORO catalogue on CD, and I will produce the reissues. Lonehill Records has just ripped off a Teddy Wilson record from HORO, so, in order to avoid other "fakes" (the guys at Lonehill have just copied an LP), the catalogue wll be reissued almost in its entirety. Within May/June a series of recordings live by Freddie Hubbard, and an unissued recording, by pianist Dave Burrell and legendary drummer Sam Woodyard, will be out. I think you're the first person to get the news...

Cordially yours, Gianni Morelenbaum Gualberto

Of course, we're considerably beyond May/June at this point, but I hope this is the beginning of the reissue program Gianni was talking about.

Even better than his Live at Montreux set?

I prefer "Unity" a lot more. "Unity" has cohesive ensembles playing clean big band parts, in tune and together. Most of it is "inside", very little avant garde. There are some exciting swing numbers which are the most "together" versions, for lack of a better term, which I have ever heard by Ra on record--from the Fletcher Henderson book, and others.

In comparison, the Ra swing versions on an album like "Sunrise in Different Dimensions" are a bit ragged.