Horo releases coming out on CD in November

Hot Ptah

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone heard more on when the legit Horo reissues are coming out? Wasn't it said previously that the first would come this June? (Eagerly awaiting for a reissue of "Unity".).

I thought it was said that the entire catalog would be put out by June? I doubt it'll ever happen, so I might jump on those grey-market Atomic issues one of these days after all.

It was a rather strange coincidence that, after decades of silence, many of the best Horos were finally issued as bootlegs last year. That must have taken out whatever remaining steam could have lingered in an already highly questionable market.

Myself, I initially bought a number of the boots last year thinking that they were the already expected real deal before hearing that they weren't. Now, I am not enthusiastic about the thought of having to repurchase these titles, and am also beginning to think that I should track down the remaining titles that I want (as boots) before they disappear altogether. Of course, another reassuring post on this thread about the legit releases might make me decide otherwise.

Edited by John L

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up the new Horo sampler today and must say I'm really unimpressed by it. It has no discographical info on any of the tracks! No personnel, not even year. They managed to find room for praise to the compiler, Gilles Peterson, "man who has entertained millions of club goes and radio listeners," as the liner notes say. Worst of all, 2 of the tracks (Roy Haynes and Lester Bowie ones) have been ruined by something called "Scotti re-edit." I wonder when does the time come my poor ears are going to witness Miles' Kind of Blue raped by mindless "re-editing." If this is the standard the allegedly upcoming Horo reissues are going to be measured by, why bother?

As a fitting contrast, I also picked up today the new Mainstream records sampler from BGP records, A Loud Minority. That's the real deal, full discographical data, booklet filled with rare photographs, insightful liner notes, even full page original album cover art for some titles.

<EDIT> Upon further inspection: the Mainstream compilation makes a funny mistake, though. The Charles McPherson track which is allegedly "Charisma" is actually "Invitation" from the same LP. Furthermore, the liner notes for this track praise the drummer, Elvin Jones. The drummer is actually Billy Higgins (correctly identified in the personnel section.) D'oh!

Edited by sambrasa

I picked up the new Horo sampler today and must say I'm really unimpressed by it. It has no discographical info on any of the tracks! No personnel, not even year. They managed to find room for praise to the compiler, Gilles Peterson, "man who has entertained millions of club goes and radio listeners," as the liner notes say. Worst of all, 2 of the tracks (Roy Haynes and Lester Bowie ones) have been ruined by something called "Scotti re-edit." I wonder when does the time come my poor ears are going to witness Miles' Kind of Blue raped by mindless "re-editing." If this is the standard the allegedly upcoming Horo reissues are going to be measured by, why bother?

As a fitting contrast, I also picked up today the new Mainstream records sampler from BGP records, A Loud Minority. That's the real deal, full discographical data, booklet filled with rare photographs, insightful liner notes, even full page original album cover art for some titles.

<EDIT> Upon further inspection: the Mainstream compilation makes a funny mistake, though. The Charles McPherson track which is allegedly "Charisma" is actually "Invitation" from the same LP. Furthermore, the liner notes for this track praise the drummer, Elvin Jones. The drummer is actually Billy Higgins (correctly identified in the personnel section.) D'oh!

Is there a Mainstream reissue program kicking off or already going on?

"Product Description

This is the first part of our in-depth look at the Mainstream label. Bob Shad's label is legendary for its high-quality recordings and had artists in the soul, jazz and psychedelic rock fields. Big Beat Records will handle the psychedelic recordings and BGP will take on the rest, starting with a look at the incredible jazz recordings made in the early part of the 70s.

Jazz in the 70s was in the depths of an economic recession, with clubs and record labels closing. Yet in lofts and in the few remaining live venues some incredible music was being made. Jazz musicians were influenced by the spirit of the age, be that radical politics, spiritual philosophies or pan-Africanism. Bob Shad was one of the few people still recording these sounds on a front-line record label and the recordings on this CD consequently offer a rare insight into an under-documented period of jazz music's history.

The title track, Frank Foster's The Loud Minority, sets the tone with forward-thinking jazz sounds and a political message. We also have similar lines of musicianship from Harold Land - two tracks from his legendary group with Bobby Hutcherson - and Roy Haynes. There is fantastic playing from Hadley Caliman, Buddy Terry and Charles McPherson and a rare date as a leader from the excellent Johnny Coles. Legends of soul jazz Blue Mitchell and Mike Longo appear, the latter with a previously unreleased version of Matrix.

All the Mainstream releases will have booklets with an incredible array of photographs from the original recording sessions and the photographic sessions for the cover. These have on the whole never been seen before and make the whole package a must have for fans of the jazz of the era."

http://www.amazon.com/Loud-Minority-Spiritual-Mainstream-1970-1973/dp/B003GE69N4

I haven't any idea what they mean by "deep spiritual jazz." Even if one believes in such a concept, where does this track list leave Ayler, Sanders and Coltrane?

Edited by Pete C

A lot (most?) of the Mainstream titles can be had digitally - and often very cheaply - from emusic, Amiestreet, and even the Limewire store. Some, I believe, are needle drops, but others appear to come from the otherwise expensive Japanese P-Vine reissues.

• 4 weeks later...

"Paolo Scotti, a man with a mission, hailing from Italy, Paolo has over the years become a global leading authority on not only Italian Jazz but also Jazz in general"

Has anyone here heard of Mr. Scotti and/or Conch Records?

Edited by Head Man

• 9 months later...
  • 6 months later...