Need a new amp

J Larsen

In the past I've given away electronics as I've upgraded. This time I'm being greedy. When the Rotel comes back from the repair shop (on Rotel's dime, as it is still under warranty), it is going in the closet as a backup. I'm seriously going out of my mind without a stereo. Music over the laptop isn't cutting it.

I'm with you there. The ipod + Tivoli radio does wonders at work but my home office is a little lacking since my 70's Harmon Kardon boat anchor shot craps last year. I'm in the market for an integetrated amp + CD unit from one of the UK firms but they rarely come up used here in the States.

My concerns with tube amps are mainly maintenance and clarity. If there is tube amp that does not have issues in these areas, I'd be willing to check them out. But I really don't want to get in a situation where I'm psyching myself out about whether tubes need to be replaced, where to find them, does it really sound as good with the new tubes, etc. Honestly that is probably the main reason I prefer solid state.

Thanks for all the help.

The tubes are only in the preamp section, from my experience these should last for at least 10 years and if you feel nervous about it just buy yourself a set for about 30$ and swop just to make sure the old ones sound as good as the new ones. As they are externally mounted the swop is as easy as pir. These tubes can be found basically anywhere. The big plus with this amp is the sound. It was a Class A stereophile component and being in the hifi business I am yet to hear an integrated that sounds as good in this price bracket.

It is beautifully made and looks great. (I am not Pathos agent)

Coming to this thread late...I see that the OP has originally decided on an amp and made a purchase. Had that not been the case, I was just going to say that I've heard very good things about Pass Labs Amps (designed by Nelson Pass). I'm satisfied with my Parasound Halo for the time being, but if/when I decide to upgrade I'll probably go with a Pass Labs, maybe the X-150 or X-150.5