Political Forum Ignore Requests

Jim Alfredson

I've been thinking about the Political Forum and how some members do not like to see so many Political threads taking up space when they click "Today's Active Topics".

There is a relatively easy solution to this that I could do if enough people would like. I can set up a separate member class that cannot read or post in or even see the Politcal Forum. This would be akin to a mass ignore function for the political forum only not controlled by you. In order to be a "non-political member", you'd have to ask me to change your status to that. If you ever wanted to change back, you'd have to ask me as well. It's not a big deal to me as long as you weren't changing your mind everyday! :)

What do y'all think?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is pretty funny. Americans always get the rap for sticking their heads in the sand and not paying enough attention to what's going on with the rest of the world......and yet the first three guys to line up for the 'magic blinders' treatment are non-Americans.

Sorry Hans.....I'm still lovin' ya. ;)

This is pretty funny.    Americans always get the rap for sticking their heads in the sand and not paying enough attention to what's going on with the rest of the world......and yet the first three guys to line up for the 'magic blinders' treatment are non-Americans.

Sorry Hans.....I'm still lovin' ya.  ;)

I´m aware of what´s happening in the world... but don´t come to a JAZZ FORUM to talk about politics! :P

Peace

Edited by EKE BBB

I´m aware of what´s happening in the world... but don´t come to a JAZZ FORUM to talk about politics!  :P

Peace

I'm with you on this one, EKE BBB. I participate in some decidedly non-jazz discussions here, but I have little interest in the political threads. I come here to escape that bombardment.

I am, however, sometimes inclined to reference the political threads because of some poster's comment in a non-political thread, or to better understand the opinions of various posters, so I guess I would like to at least have access to the political stuff, even if I don't spend much time there. I'm interested in learning about the non-jazz interests of many here who share a love of the music; I am one who believes that if you don't like like it, don't read it, but to someone else it apparently needs to be said or responded to, and I'm OK with that.

But you won't see me tangling with too many online, I'm just here to hang out and have fun. Which is not to say I'm not passionate about certain things, I just don't want to drag all my own baggage in here. Your mileage may vary. ;):)

Edited by Free For All

So far I have the following people on the "Non-Political List":
  • J.A.W.
  • EKE BBB
  • Gary
  • Late

Remember, if you suddenly change your mind, I'll have to manually change your status so you can read/see the political forum.

But for now, you shouldn't see a darn thing! :)

Anyone else?

Thanks, Jim!

I´m aware of what´s happening in the world... but don´t come to a JAZZ FORUM to talk about politics! :P

Peace

Sure, I understand that 100%. But the thing is, this doesn't really have anything to do with actually engagingothers on the political threads.....you simply don't even want to see the forum title show up on your screen as though it doesn't even exist. Well fear not EKE, you'll get to see the signature line each and every time that I post after you! :P:P:lol:

*just kiddin' ya ;)

the clue is that the posts to the politics forum still show up in today's active posts or unread posts or whatever list any other search might give you.

Okay, it kind of makes sense now -- kind of. I have never used the Active Topic or Unread Post function so I didn't know that.

Now I have the following people on the "Non-Political List":

• J.A.W.
  • EKE BBB
  • Gary
  • Late
  • Clunky
  • GA Russell

Remember, if you suddenly change your mind, I'll have to manually change your status so you can read/see the political forum.

You can always PM me too if for some reason you don't want it to be publicly known that you want to be a "non-political" member! :)