The Mosaic trade thread

I'm just spitballin' here, but the recent "ones that got away" thread got me thinking about the possibility of trading Mosaics. There's no doubt that those of us who own these sets have ones that are of desert island quality and others that wouldn't make that trip. The question is, are some of those you'd leave behind ones you might consider trading? For example, Bixieland mentioned that he wished he hadn't missed out on the Bunny Berigan. I have that set, but it's not one that I return to often. So, if I was to make that available, would there be anyone who would be interested enough in obtaining that set that they would either 1) trade a Mosaic they already own or 2) be willing to foot the bill for a set currently available from Mosaic. I know there are lots of relative value issues (in print or OOP, number of discs, condition) that would need to be worked out, but that could be something that would be left up to the trading partners once a mutual interest was identified.

Just to get the ball rolling, here are some OOP sets that I'd be willing to trade:

#142 The Complete CBS Studio Recordings of Woody Shaw (3 CDs)

#154 The Complete February 1957 Jimmy Smith Blue Note Sessions (3CDs)

#165 The Complete Illinois Jacquet Sessions 1945-50 (4 CDs)

#185 Kenton Presents: Bob Cooper, Bill Holman & Frank Rosolino (4 CDs)

#196 The Complete Capitol Recordings of Woody Herman (6 CDs)

#199 The Columbia Jazz Piano Moods Sessions (7 CDs)

#204 The Complete Columbia Recordings of Mildred Bailey (10 CDs)

#213 Classic Columbia And OKeh Joe Venuti And Eddie Lang Sessions (8 CDs)

#217 The Complete Brunswick & Vocalion Recordings Of Louis Prima And Wingy Manone 1924-1937 (6 CDs)

#219 The Complete Bruswick, Parlophone and Vocalion Bunny Berigan Sessions (7 CDs)

Just something to think about.

Up over and out.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Call me crazy, but I've never quite warmed up to the Johnny Hodges set and would make that available in exchange for perhaps the Kenton Presents, maybe the Woody Shaw. PM me if you think we could work out something.

Edited by Tom 1960

I've got an extra #167 The Complete Blue Note Sam Rivers Sessions (3 CDs). Yes, I'm an idiot and bought something I already had.

Be willing to trade it for for a similar set, if there's anyone out there interested.

Would you be willing to trade that for a brand-new, unopened Wolf Biermann CD? He is the German Bob Dylan, after all. :w

Have the following OOP sets and am willing to trade for other Mosaics of similar size:

#159 Phil Woods: The Phil Woods Quartet/Quintet 20th Anniversary Set (5 CDs) OOP *

#165 Illinois Jacquet: The Complete Illinois Jacquet Sessions 1945-50 (4 CDs)

#193 Duke Ellington: The Reprise Studio Recordings (5 CDs) OOP

No box:

#198 The Complete Pacific Jazz Recordings of Gerald Wilson and His Orchestra (5 CDs) OOP - No box, includes all CDs, Jewel Cases, and Inserts and a photocopy of the large book.

#142 The Complete CBS Studio Recordings of Woody Shaw (3 CDs) OOP - No box, includes all CDs, Jewel Cases, and Inserts and a photocopy of the large book.

The Ellington is VG/Excellent (I don't have the # right now but it's the official Mosaic version).

The Phil Woods is Like New/Mint and is marked PROMO in the book -however- disc one is a cdr. The rest of the set is complete, including the other four cds, box, large book, both double jewel cases, and all booklets and inserts.

If you'd like any set, make me an offer. I'm looking for any Mosaic that I don't have, which is about half of them. I also have a full, unopened 12 disc Wes Montgomery Complete Riverside Recordings set available for trade.

I'm especially looking for the 10 disc Basie Roulette *Studio* set so if anyone has that and is willing to trade for a combo of the above sets and/or money, I'd be very interested. Thanks.

Edited by micha

I've got an extra #167 The Complete Blue Note Sam Rivers Sessions (3 CDs). Yes, I'm an idiot and bought something I already had.

Be willing to trade it for for a similar set, if there's anyone out there interested.

Would you be willing to trade that for a brand-new, unopened Wolf Biermann CD? He is the German Bob Dylan, after all. :w

:g

We've been through this before, you know this isn't a fair trade. How about the Rivers Mosaic plus $100 for the one Biermann cd?

I think this is a great idea. However, I can't see myself letting go of any of my big boxes. I would entertain trading a Select though. I have the Grachan Moncur (I believe that one is oop?) that I never really warmed up to. If anyone is interested in a trade for another Select, PM me. I'd be interested in The Pacific Piano Trios, The Cooper/Shank, The Art Pepper, The Sidney Bechet, hell there are plenty that interest me, what have you got? :D

EDIT: FYI, I already own the Cohn, Newman, and Green set..

Edited by Brute

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to thank (!!) Dave James for getting the ball rolling. Because of this thread, I was able to trade the Woody Herman Capitol box (highest-up on my personal Mosaic wish list) for a Mosaic gift certificate.

Edward, who contacted me because of my post here, went out of his way to get the box (in excellent shape) to me within the blink of an eye, perfectly wrapped and very safely packaged! A great and very pleasant man to do business with! Thank you, Edward!

And, again, thanks Dave!

I don't suppose anyone out there is tired of/bored with their "The Complete Capitol & Atlantic Recordings of Jimmy Giuffre"???

If so I have a "The Complete Argo/Mercury Jazztet Sessions of Art Farmer/Benny Golson" that I would be willing to trade.

A complete long shot I know but....

Edited by Cliff Englewood

Well, let me join the fray, too!

I'm afraid I don't have any sets I don't enjoy and want to get rid of, but I'm definitely willing to buy one or more currently in-print sets for someone if they would like to unload one of the following (on CD):

#109 The Complete Edmond Hall/James P. Johnson/Sidney De Paris/Vic Dickenson Blue Note Sessions

#110 The Complete Blue Note Recordings of Sidney Bechet

#132 The Complete Blue Note Recordings of George Lewis

#135 The Complete Roulette Live Recordings of Count Basie and His Orchestra (1959-1962)

#149 The Complete Roulette Studio Recordings of Count Basie and His Orchestra

#168 The Complete Capitol Fifties Jack Teagarden Sessions

#206 Classic Columbia Condon Mob Sessions

And someone ought to jump on the OP's Venuti/Lang and Manone/Prima sets. Those are two of my favourites!

In other news: I just got the Condon CBS set off ebay sans-box and booklet--were these ever released as promotions without the booklet and box or were they just owned by Philistines?

Edited by alex.

I have several DJ friends who have received promo sets and have purchased promo sets (at discount) and all were complete with box and booklet. I bought one from Mosaic as well (an Art Hodes set that was one of a number of sets that surfaced in Lourie's home after he died and were sold by Mosaic) and it was complete with booklet, though the box at that time was a generic plain black box.

All of my promo Mosaics, when I get them, come intact with box and booklet. Sometimes marked "promo" instead of numbered, and the Lee Morgan had saw cuts on the individual jewel boxes.

I know of at least two people who discard Mosaic boxes to save space. One lives in a tiny Brooklyn apartment that can't be over 800 square feet. I bet that kills the resale value...

I'd be willing to part with my Pacific Jazz Gerald Wilson Orchestra set.

Actually, I parted with that set some years ago and grew to semi-regret it....

I actually semi-like it myself; So, do you have anything to semi-trade for it?

I'd be willing to part with my Pacific Jazz Gerald Wilson Orchestra set.

Actually, I parted with that set some years ago and grew to semi-regret it....

I actually semi-like it myself; So, do you have anything to semi-trade for it?

Um.......I'll get back to you.

• 2 weeks later...

I know of at least two people who discard Mosaic boxes to save space... I bet that kills the resale value...

I used to think that answer was somewhere in the $30 differential range, but then there's a fella on eBay who's been buying Mosaics recently, keeping the boxes, and selling the remainder. His last experiment in this folly cost him $73. I guess a mint Curtis Fuller in a Gillespie box doesn't quite cut it for collectors.

• 2 weeks later...

I know of at least two people who discard Mosaic boxes to save space... I bet that kills the resale value...

I used to think that answer was somewhere in the $30 differential range, but then there's a fella on eBay who's been buying Mosaics recently, keeping the boxes, and selling the remainder. His last experiment in this folly cost him $73. I guess a mint Curtis Fuller in a Gillespie box doesn't quite cut it for collectors.

Same guy on eBay spent $300 for a brand new Lee Morgan 4-CD Mosaic, kept the box and booklet, sold the sealed CDs yesterday, and took a $248 bath in the process. Ouch. :blink:

All of my promo Mosaics, when I get them, come intact with box and booklet. Sometimes marked "promo" instead of numbered, and the Lee Morgan had saw cuts on the individual jewel boxes.

I know of at least two people who discard Mosaic boxes to save space. One lives in a tiny Brooklyn apartment that can't be over 800 square feet. I bet that kills the resale value...

I store the boxes, put the cd jewel boxes on one shelf (well, *several* shelves!) and all my booklets together on another. It saves a HUGE amount of space and encourages me to play the music more often--I don't have to pull out a box and dig them out--but I would NEVER get rid of the boxes! (I'd rent a storage shed if I had to!)

greg mo