Cedar Walton

Uncle Skid

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 years later...

There was a recording on Muse called Firm Roots, which was recorded live in Rochester, NY, in April 1974. Cedar, Sam, Jones & Louis Hayes. He played there for three weeks ( I was there a lot ). The music is great but the fender sound is a little off.

I was there one noght when Herbie was in town and he and Cedar both played for a hour or so.

There is another tri recording called Firm Roots, but it's not the same.

While you're at it you should get the Clfford Jordan Firm Roots on Steeplechase. Great Fuck'n Record! No Fender though.

213836.jpg

f32065qz9oa.jpg

This is an unfairly ignored twofer, really tasty, swingin' stuff. The track Higgins Holler is worth the price of admission by itself. Plus there's a beautiful trio reading of Days Of Wine And Roses.

I find Cedar's writing/arranging to be very distinctive. The guy is taste personified.

This is a good 32Jazz disc recorded live at Boomers.

f94853hkp8h.jpg

How's the Maybeck Recital CD?

7119.jpg

This is his solo piano CD on HighNote, Underground Memoirs. Very high on my wishlist - I have heard only good things about it. I've seen Cedar Walton live more often than any other jazz musician, and I do not regret it. Always there, very consistent, to the point, creative - what more can one ask for?

I saw Cedar Walton live a few years ago in a group of other hard bop vets. He played tasty solos throughout. When it was time for his solo piano feature, he blew me away. It was magical. It was far more than just a nice rendition of a song--he took the music to a higher plane. It was truly beautiful and profound. He is an artist deserving of great respect.

7119.jpg

This is his solo piano CD on HighNote, Underground Memoirs. Very high on my wishlist - I have heard only good things about it. I've seen Cedar Walton live more often than any other jazz musician, and I do not regret it. Always there, very consistent, to the point, creative - what more can one ask for?

Picked that one up not too long ago and I can recommend it. If you've seen one of his solo sets live you'll know what to expect - tasteful standards and originals played to perfection. Cedar is one of the most consistent players (live or recorded) I've ever come across and one of the first (at Ronnies with Eastern Rebellion) I ever saw live.

Another :tup for the Magic Triangle material. There's both studio and live stuff out there. Definitely worth tracking down. The Clifford Jordan Quartet's "Night of the Mark VII" is the same group.

Cedar can be found playing Rhodes on "The Electric Boogaloo Song", but I'm not sure how available it is. Also features Blue Mitchell, Clifford Jordan, Bob Cranshaw & Mickey Roker.

Guest donald petersen

walton plays some rhodes on the album he co-led with hank mobley on muse from 1972. an oft-talked about album for mobley's harsh and somewhat disturbing playing (to some). what's this album called? the breakthrough, if i remember. not so much rhodes, but a good album.

g_d that first walton album on prestige (cedar plays cedar walton?) has some fun stuff. nice kenny dorham on that one. no rhodes.

g_d, no one on this board would like mobius or beyond mobius but they are two walton-led sessions from the 1970s with many keyboards. from before animation, which was suggested. i think mobius is the earliest and best...gordon edwards, steve gadd, ryo kawasaki, ray mantinilla, omar clay...

walton plays some rhodes on the album he co-led with hank mobley on muse from 1972. an oft-talked about album for mobley's harsh and somewhat disturbing playing (to some). what's this album called? the breakthrough, if i remember. not so much rhodes, but a good album.

Yes. That would be "Breakthrough!", originally released on Cobblestone (CST 9011).

I don't remember any Rhodes, but it's not a bad album, actually. Also with Charles Davis, Sam Jones & Billy Higgins.

Breakthrough is an amazing record, made so primarily by Mobley's intense contributions. The version of Summertime (where Hank uses the Thinking Of Home suite as an introduction) is worth the price alone.

I think the Rhodes is limited to 1 or 2 songs.