Cedar Walton

Uncle Skid

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Breakthrough is an amazing record, made so primarily by Mobley's intense contributions. The version of Summertime (where Hank uses the Thinking Of Home suite as an introduction) is worth the price alone.

I think the Rhodes is limited to 1 or 2 songs.

Found this thread via a Google search on Cedar an hour ago and decided to spin this one......it's been awhile. I agree that it sounds pretty good.....although 'Summertime' is the one that I least enjoyed.....just sounded overly harsh on my system. Glad I pulled it out though!

Cedar is one of the most consistent jazz pianists since he came on the scene - he deserves a lot more credit for this!

Never heard anything but an excellent gig from him - and I've seen a few over the years (I think the first Cedar gig I saw must have been 19789/80, with the 'Eastern Rebellion' group with Bob Berg). A nice, down-to-earth and approachable guy too !

Sorry Mike - have never heard the 'Mobius' other than a bit of it on the radio. Would like to check it out again.

Edited by sidewinder

Cedar is one of the most consistent jazz pianists since he came on the scene - he deserves a lot more credit for this!

Never heard anything but an excellent gig from him - and I've seen a few over the years (I think the first Cedar gig I saw must have been 19789/80, with the 'Eastern Rebellion' group with Bob Berg). A nice, down-to-earth and approachable guy too !

That was the first time I saw him live, too - Sam Jones on bass! Great band! He signed the band's LP for me that evening.

Sorry Mike - have never heard the 'Mobius' other than a bit of it on the radio. Would like to check it out again.

Do a search on My Jazz World

That was the first time I saw him live, too - Sam Jones on bass! Great band! He signed the band's LP for me that evening.

Do a search on My Jazz World

Thanks !

Sadly, Sam Jones had passed away not long before I saw 'Eastern Rebellion' for the first time and it was the excellent David Williams on bass.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 years later...

I listened today to one of my favorite CDs, Jackie McLean's "Nature Boy."  Cedar Walton is so good on it, and I got to wondering what he's up to.  Checking Wikipedia, I discovered that he passed away in 2013.  I don't think it was ever discussed here.  Now's as good a time as any to celebrate his work.

7 hours ago, mjzee said:

I listened today to one of my favorite CDs, Jackie McLean's "Nature Boy."  Cedar Walton is so good on it, and I got to wondering what he's up to.  Checking Wikipedia, I discovered that he passed away in 2013.  I don't think it was ever discussed here.  Now's as good a time as any to celebrate his work.

Jazz fans will always remember Cedar, but you apparently do not remember the thread, of which you were a major contributor.

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

Jazz fans will always remember Cedar, but you apparently do not remember the thread, of which you were a major contributor.

Nope, and a Google search didn’t turn it up.  Thanks for finding it.