Heaven & Earth - Guess Who's Back In Town

JSngry

Interesting comment:

wow, on Labor day, at the home of (the late, great) Gene Ammons--where they gather every Sunday afternoon til 4am--invited by a friend, this song was sung. Charles Blackmon, a former member of Temptation and the entire Ammons family--everyone can sing in this family--they jammed this song. Since Labor day, I've searched for it, finding it today! Btw, I, too, sung in the hallways of Cabrini-Green and this was a smoker to sing. Those were the days of good songs and lyrics. none wit profanity.

Somehow that all just seems right.

The lyrics to the second verse:

Hikin' rides(?) through wind and rain

Workin' days for pocket change

In and out of small hotels

Smoke-filled rooms and dreadful smells

Success a nut that's hard to crack

And dreams sometimes give way to fact

Girl, I pray you understand

At last this boy become the man (sic)

Something about the phrase "dreadful smells" hits me as being somehow real in a way that so may "beggin'" songs aren't. That and rhyming "fact" with "crack"..."dreams sometimes give way to fact", that's a decidedly...non-romantic way to put it...the whole thing, slick as it might sound on the surface, is, at the core, real, I think. No wonder it got jammed at the Ammons house...

It only made # 42 on the national R)&B charts, asnd has not made it to CD, not even on an anthology or comp, so for all practical purposes, maybe they weren't...

This song and/or this record sorely needs to be rediscovered if ther is to be justice in the world of popular music.

• 7 years later...