Removing skunk smell from a cat?

A few nights ago my daughter's cat was sprayed by a skunk- so kitty smells real bad. And..unfortunately for me- my car windows were eopen that evening and some spray migrated into the fabric of my car......I'm slowly gettting that out- not that bad.

So- anyone have any personal experience of removing skunk smell from the cat?? What did you use??? Anything commercial? Any home-made recipies?

This is the one time I wish my sense of smell was as bad as my eyesight..... :)

Edited by vajerzy

In the meantime, I gave the cat a bath with baking soda, hydrogen peroxide and Davn dishwashing detergent- we have a clawfoot tub so he couldn't grab onto anything-except me- a few nice scratches.... he was not happy......got rid of a lot of the smell- he'll have to have another treatment....I'll look for the items you guys suggested!

First time any of our animals tangled with a skunk...

The best solution?

Turn the kitty into an indoor cat.

Our two furry friends are happy and healthy cats who never smell like any of the outside critters which inhabit the tree lined creek area next to our house. Kitty litter sometimes, but never skunk.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Our two furry friends are happy and healthy cats who never smell like any of the outside critters which inhabit the tree lined creek area next to our house.

I've always had cats who spent a lot of time outside (every night, except when it's freezing), and none of them ever smelled bad, up to a very advanced age.

If a cat smells bad, it's because it does not wash itself, and this can have several reasons: Seperated too young from it's mother, sickness, age.

I'm not talking about an accident like the encounter with a skunk of course.

Edited by Claude

Wow- you guys are slipping- no one suggested to get rid of the cat!!

Neither was I.

I know...no problem here! We have a 21 year old cat who pees on the wood floors- she's old......I'd rather have our animals outside.

Wow- you guys are slipping- no one suggested to get rid of the cat!!

I restrained from posting "chipper/shredder and a baggie". :cool:

Sorry I missed the chance.

Still can..... :excited: