Dick Katz, 1924-2009

B. Goren.

I am absolutely devastated by this - Dick and I were pretty close in the '80s, though only sporadically in touch the last 10 years or so - brilliant man, fine writer and critic, musically astute; he played my wedding in '82. A true gentleman of jazz, as Symphony Sid would have said, a witness to a lot of important music and musicians.

I absolutely love his albums with Helen Merrill - some of the best vocal jazz ever recorded, and I guess Katz had quite a hand in there.

Me love 'em too - some of the first vocal jazz I ever bought!

Katz was co-founder and co-producer for Keepnews in the early days of Milestone.

Edited by mikeweil

Very sad news indeed. I have long enjoyed the piano playing of Dick Katz.

Three recording with Katz as leader are all very good.

Three Way Play - Reservoir (with Steve LaSpina and Ben Riley)

The Line Forms Here - Reservoir (with Benny Golson,Ryan Kisor,LaSpina,Riley)

Piano & Pen - Atlantic with Chuck Wayne or Jimmy Raney, Joe Benjamin, Connie Kay

Jazz Piano International - Atlantic (Katz plays 4 trio tracks with Ralph Pena & Connie Kay)

These last 2 have been reissued on CD on Collectables.

Piano & Pen with The John Lewis PIano

Jazz Piano International with Dave pell Octet-Love Story

I first heard Dick Katz when he was a member of Tony Scott's quartet along with Milt Hinton and Philly Joe Jones. He absolutely knocked me out on that Brunswick album and continued to do so on every other record he made, either as a leader or sideman. And damn, Katz was also a brilliant writer. I'll never forget the notes he wrote for a Thelonious Monk album.

Jimmy Raney told me years ago that Katz had a rehearsal band that he and Marshall Brown played in when I mentioned Marshall. I went to the West End in the 80s to hear a Monk tribute band that Katz led with Lee Konitz, my buddy (before I knew him) John Eckert, and Leroy Williams. I remember Katz saying at the end of the gig---and not looking very pleased---'let's play a couple of chorouses of "Nutty" and go home'. Maybe he was tired. It was a good band.

I'm sure Phil Schaap eulogized him. He was a frequent Bird Flight guest.

I didn't know Dick Katz myself, but I am sorry to see him go. Every time a good musician from his generation goes all the history of his playing life goes with him. And they are few left from those days.

Edited by fasstrack