Looking for recommendations: Chopin (solo piano)

neveronfriday

Hi everyone,

after I've gotten my Beethoven sonatas fix with the Brendel (1993-1996), Paul Lewis and Gulda recordings (yes, I like those three very much although some of you might heartily disagree and recommend other recordings), I want to try to assemble a somewhat complete Chopin solo piano collection.

What I'm looking for are recommendations I can read more up on and spend some time checking out before I hit that "Buy me now" button.

What I'm looking for are newer relevant recordings (in your opinion) in good to excellent sound quality. I'm not such a big fan of all of these Brilliant Classics and whatnot "complete" boxes that try to stuff it all in, so what I'm looking for, if at all possible, are "Complete Nocturnes", "Complete Waltzes", etc. sets that you might recommend and I can assemble into a "Complete" Chopin solo piano section on my shelf. What I don't want to do - although it might be the right thing to do - is piece together all the nocturnes across a myriad of different recordings by various artists. I'm looking for, again, "complete" boxes, if at all possible or worthwhile ;)

So, any recommendations you have while keeping these premises in mind?

Thanks for looking and commenting.

P.S.: I can only check in here irregularly at the moment, so please allow for a later/irregular response on my part. Thanks!

Dinu Lipatti's recording of the waltzes is often cited as the best collection. They are from the fifties, but the CD is well mastered and sounds good.

Thanks so much for your recommendation, Jeff.

I know I probably come across as a complete newb here, but I'd prefer recommendations from around 1980 (preferably even 1990) and up. I have some of the older recordings (Rubinstein, Lipatti, etc.) as rips (legit, by the way) but on my shelf I want more modern recordings. I know many of these might not measure up to the best from the 1940s, 50s and 60s, but I'm hoping there are some recommendations that come close.

• 2 weeks later...

Dinu Lipatti's recording of the waltzes is often cited as the best collection. They are from the fifties, but the CD is well mastered and sounds good.

Thanks so much for your recommendation, Jeff.

I know I probably come across as a complete newb here, but I'd prefer recommendations from around 1980 (preferably even 1990) and up. I have some of the older recordings (Rubinstein, Lipatti, etc.) as rips (legit, by the way) but on my shelf I want more modern recordings. I know many of these might not measure up to the best from the 1940s, 50s and 60s, but I'm hoping there are some recommendations that come close.

I was just listening to a recording of Chopin's Etudes by Vladimir Ashkenazy and thought it was excellent.

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

Just arrived a few minutes after my last post:

31kynLp2gyL._SS500_.jpg

This set on Deutsche Grammophon website

I paid about 18 Euro for this one (listed as used, but unplayed ... and, now that I have it, it is actually totally new ... was still shrink-wrapped) incl. postage from a marketplace dealer.

Didn't think I could go wrong with it at this price.

[Edit: 17 CDs; budget reissue of earlier boxed set. Nov. 2009. Attached scan of boxed set, back.]

Edited by neveronfriday

• 3 years later...

It's been a while, but I'd be all for Arrau's "Nocturnes" and "Préludes", though they are a bit earlier (1978 and 1973 respectively). Both are wonderful recordings in my opinion.

Other than that, I've got plenty of older Chopin that I love just as much - but that's not the question here.