BFT 69: Listen and Discuss

Hot Ptah

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright! Disc 2 meanderings and flummoxings at your service!

Track 1: Alright, since this song is going on for 300 hours, time for a brief confession: I distinctly remembered the artist on this track, because when I saw the artist and the length of the track, my first thought was, “Oh great. Y’know, I got rid of that album for a reason. Well, maybe I’ll hear something different this time.” Even listened to it briefly before saving it to hard disk. I didn’t come back to it until now, but I relayed this story to Hot Ptah and he informed me that I was thinking of a different album by the same artist. He also informed me I might like this track a lot better than the one I was thinking of. He was right!!!

Track 2: This is making me smile! All concerned sound like they’re having a blast! Ska! Ska! Skaaaaa!!!! DAMN, I love this!!! Whatta grooooooooooove!!!

Track 3: Ooooh, love that Fender Rhodes to start the song. Mmmmmm! Lovely flute! If I didn’t know any better, I’d guess Jobim. But it actually has that wonderful CTI sound I dig so much, so I’m gonna guess Hubert Laws. Oh my Lord, this is heartbreakingly beautiful!

Track 4: Teddy Wilson. No question. I would’ve guessed this even if I hadn’t seen the answers. No clue as to the album or the year, but with Teddy, does that even matter? Swing, taste, refinement, like a fine wine!

Track 5: Nice swinging clarin..... YIKES!!! Someone stepped on the cat!!! Okay, maybe he sneezed or something. Nice groove to this one as well. Sounds like Elvin on the drums or a reasonable facsimile!

Track 6: Okay, I guess. Nothing too terribly interesting.

Track 7: Okay, THIS is what I thought track 1 was gonna sound like! This one’s all over the map. Internationally, not just domestically! Ooof! Too much! On to the next track.

Track 8: NOW we’re talking my language!!! Love this Afro-Cuban stuff from the late 40’s!

Track 9: Ah, I should know this one. Sounds like a Benny Goodman group. Ah criminy, who was that arranger BG used in the early 40’s, not named Fletcher Henderson? That’s who it sounds like, the arrangement that is.

Track 10: Holy cow! Did someone turn on the TRON DVD? Has Herbie Hancock finally gone ..... wait, this really does sound kinda Headhunterish! Oh please tell me this groove lasts another hour or so!!!! And dig those vibes! Wow!

Track 11: What the EFF EFF EFF????? Son of Jaws! Oh em gee and an el oh el!!!! Gawd, that was boring, self-indulgent, aimless, pointless. Sounded like an instrumental break from an ELP record if Greg Lake was playing upright bass.

Track 12: Argh! I should know THIS one as well. I can hear Paul Lynde as the Hooded Claude: “I’ll get you, Penelope Pitstop!” Here comes the Ant Hill Mob: “Come on, youse guys.” “[giggle giggle giggle] Penelope’s gonna be eaten up by the giant alligator.” “[sob sob] Poor Penelope!” “Step on it, Chuggaboom!” “Sputter koff chug chug chug!” “BLAAAAAST!”

Track 13: Oh when the saints go marching out into the Quarter and stagger around, oh I want to be in that gutter when the saints come stumbling out! This has ceased to be about guessing and has turned into bizarre performance art on the part of the BFT Uncoordinator!

Track 14: OH, I AM LOVING THIS!!!! Thank you for sharing this. Is that Tom Lehrer? Y’know, every Christmas, I try to find a new Christmas song or album that I’ve never heard before, and that ends up being the catalyst for remembering that year’s Christmas. Guess what song is now the Official Big Al Song of Christmas 2009? Thanks Ptah!

And thank you for THE wildest BFT I’ve ever had the pleasure of participating in!!!! THIS is why I love the BFT, and IMHO this BFT truly captures the spirit of the BFT! Way to go there,rookie! :)

Alright! Disc 2 meanderings and flummoxings at your service!

Track 1: Alright, since this song is going on for 300 hours, time for a brief confession: I distinctly remembered the artist on this track, because when I saw the artist and the length of the track, my first thought was, “Oh great. Y’know, I got rid of that album for a reason. Well, maybe I’ll hear something different this time.” Even listened to it briefly before saving it to hard disk. I didn’t come back to it until now, but I relayed this story to Hot Ptah and he informed me that I was thinking of a different album by the same artist. He also informed me I might like this track a lot better than the one I was thinking of. He was right!!!

Track 2: This is making me smile! All concerned sound like they’re having a blast! Ska! Ska! Skaaaaa!!!! DAMN, I love this!!! Whatta grooooooooooove!!!

Track 3: Ooooh, love that Fender Rhodes to start the song. Mmmmmm! Lovely flute! If I didn’t know any better, I’d guess Jobim. But it actually has that wonderful CTI sound I dig so much, so I’m gonna guess Hubert Laws. Oh my Lord, this is heartbreakingly beautiful!

The flute player is not Hubert Laws

Track 4: Teddy Wilson. No question. I would’ve guessed this even if I hadn’t seen the answers. No clue as to the album or the year, but with Teddy, does that even matter? Swing, taste, refinement, like a fine wine!

Track 5: Nice swinging clarin..... YIKES!!! Someone stepped on the cat!!! Okay, maybe he sneezed or something. Nice groove to this one as well. Sounds like Elvin on the drums or a reasonable facsimile!

Track 6: Okay, I guess. Nothing too terribly interesting.

Track 7: Okay, THIS is what I thought track 1 was gonna sound like! This one’s all over the map. Internationally, not just domestically! Ooof! Too much! On to the next track.

Track 8: NOW we’re talking my language!!! Love this Afro-Cuban stuff from the late 40’s!

Track 9: Ah, I should know this one. Sounds like a Benny Goodman group. Ah criminy, who was that arranger BG used in the early 40’s, not named Fletcher Henderson? That’s who it sounds like, the arrangement that is.

It is a Henderson track, with Horace Henderson as the leader. It has been completely identified already on this thread.

Track 10: Holy cow! Did someone turn on the TRON DVD? Has Herbie Hancock finally gone ..... wait, this really does sound kinda Headhunterish! Oh please tell me this groove lasts another hour or so!!!! And dig those vibes! Wow!

Track 11: What the EFF EFF EFF????? Son of Jaws! Oh em gee and an el oh el!!!! Gawd, that was boring, self-indulgent, aimless, pointless. Sounded like an instrumental break from an ELP record if Greg Lake was playing upright bass.

It's not Greg Lake.

Track 12: Argh! I should know THIS one as well. I can hear Paul Lynde as the Hooded Claude: “I’ll get you, Penelope Pitstop!” Here comes the Ant Hill Mob: “Come on, youse guys.” “[giggle giggle giggle] Penelope’s gonna be eaten up by the giant alligator.” “[sob sob] Poor Penelope!” “Step on it, Chuggaboom!” “Sputter koff chug chug chug!” “BLAAAAAST!”

Track 13: Oh when the saints go marching out into the Quarter and stagger around, oh I want to be in that gutter when the saints come stumbling out! This has ceased to be about guessing and has turned into bizarre performance art on the part of the BFT Uncoordinator!

Track 14: OH, I AM LOVING THIS!!!! Thank you for sharing this. Is that Tom Lehrer? Y’know, every Christmas, I try to find a new Christmas song or album that I’ve never heard before, and that ends up being the catalyst for remembering that year’s Christmas. Guess what song is now the Official Big Al Song of Christmas 2009? Thanks Ptah!

It's not Tom Lehrer. I like Lehrer, and that is an interesting guess. I never knew him to be this fully produced.

And thank you for THE wildest BFT I’ve ever had the pleasure of participating in!!!! THIS is why I love the BFT, and IMHO this BFT truly captures the spirit of the BFT! Way to go there,rookie! :)

Thanks for your encouraging comments, Al, and thanks again for all of your technical help, which made this possible.

Oh, I knew it wasn't Greg Lake. I was just being silly! ;)

Figures the one time it IS Fletcher Henderson is the one time I DON'T guess Fletch. You'd think I'd have this process figured out by now! :lol:

Can't remember: has disc 2, track 3 been identified yet? I wanna look into that.

And, oh yes, the Skatalites!!! That was a FUN track! :party::party::party:

Oh, I knew it wasn't Greg Lake. I was just being silly! ;)

Figures the one time it IS Fletcher Henderson is the one time I DON'T guess Fletch. You'd think I'd have this process figured out by now! :lol:

Can't remember: has disc 2, track 3 been identified yet? I wanna look into that.

Disc 2, Track 3, with the flute, has not been identified.

And, oh yes, the Skatalites!!! That was a FUN track! :party::party::party:

Edited by Hot Ptah

Disc 2, tk. 3 - could this be from a CTI recording (as suggested above)? If so... any chance it might be either Joe Farrell or Jerome Richardson?

Or - possibly - Hermeto Pascoal? or maybe Jeremy Steig?

Damn; this cut - and the klez-like one - are bugging the hell out of me!

Edited by seeline

OK, so... is it not any of the other guys whose names I just added? [never mind]

And why am i thinking that could be Kenny Barron on keys? (I'm probably half-crazy by this point, making wild, scattershot guesses... ;))

I'm running out of flutists' names here... it sure ain't Dolphy or Bobby Jaspar, though!

Edited by seeline

Sam Most?

It cannot be Tabackin, although he and Toshiko did some duo stuff - IIRC - on his Rites of Pan LP, and she played some kinda dismal keys on a small group album under her own name. (On Inner City, I think.)

Gah!!!!

* Is there some kind of outside chance that it's Charles Lloyd?! Or Bobbie Humphries, or even Prince Lasha? ;)

Edited by seeline

Sam Most?

It cannot be Tabackin, although he and Toshiko did some duo stuff - IIRC - on his Rites of Pan LP, and she played some kinda dismal keys on a small group album under her own name. (On Inner City, I think.)

Gah!!!!

* Is there some kind of outside chance that it's Charles Lloyd?!

It is not Sam Most or Charles Lloyd.

OK, I'll go for the obvious (to me) guy that I havent yet mentioned - Paul Horn. Is this from Altura do Sol?

Edited to add: Just as an aside, whoever this is reminds me a lot of Brazilian flutist David Ganc, who studied with a French teacher and who has that gorgeous, liquid "French" tone. (Marvelous player, too.) But I know it's not him.

Edited by seeline