DVD: Wizard Of Oz

TWOZ is one of my S.O.'s favorite movies, so I splurged and bought the limited edition Blu-Ray box at Costco. Lots of truly unnecessary ephemera are included in this, such as an Emerald City wristwatch. We haven't watched the movie yet, but my understanding from reading reviews is that it's pretty nice. So vivid are the colors, that they had to rename the Yellow Brick Road the Zest of Lemon Brick Road. That'll give you some idea of what we're talking about.

Up over and out.

Must admit I've never been able to get into Wizard Of Oz, maybe watching it with kids is the way in.

Turn off the sound and listen to Dark Side Of The Moon with the movie playing.

I thought that was a hoax until I tried it myself. It's not a perfect match, but when it DOES match..... prepare for the goosebumps & shivers! It'd be cool if one of these Deluxe Editions included this on it.

Edited by Big Al

Not sure if this is a good example to praise Blu-ray:

Disclaimer: Please note that this screenshot was captured at 720p and then compressed using JPEG to improve the loading time.
Edited by rockefeller center

My mother and grandmother took me to this when I was about 5/6 - this was my first entrance to a theater. It seemed to be a big deal for them but when the witch showed up I ran screaming from the venue.

What a pussy. :P But seriously, I used to dread that scene at her castle when Dorothy looks into the crystal ball, and... oh, never mind- I'm afraid to think about it.

I still find it weird to watch the film on vhs or dvd or whatever- in any form where I'm choosing when to watch it. I grew up watching the annual tv airing with the neighborhood kids and the popcorn and Danny Kaye hosting. We didn't get to CHOOSE when to watch it, and we LIKED IT that way! These kids today...

My mother and grandmother took me to this when I was about 5/6 - this was my first entrance to a theater. It seemed to be a big deal for them but when the witch showed up I ran screaming from the venue.

What a pussy. :P But seriously, I used to dread that scene at her castle when Dorothy looks into the crystal ball, and... oh, never mind- I'm afraid to think about it.

I still find it weird to watch the film on vhs or dvd or whatever- in any form where I'm choosing when to watch it. I grew up watching the annual tv airing with the neighborhood kids and the popcorn and Danny Kaye hosting. We didn't get to CHOOSE when to watch it, and we LIKED IT that way! These kids today...

I saw a story a few years back a story on the film, and how a Mom who had dozens of childrens videos for her little daughter, but kept the Wizard of Oz away, and still made it a special deal for the child to watch it. :tup

Not sure if this is a good example to praise Blu-ray:

Disclaimer: Please note that this screenshot was captured at 720p and then compressed using JPEG to improve the loading time.

Check out this site then. An extremely through review, with 5 different format comparisons, and huge images.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare/wizard.htm

Edit. Man, they screwed up a few of the Oz captures, doesn't it???

Things look more "correct" on the Gone With The Wind review, I saw a few days back.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare6/...withthewind.htm

But, now that we can see Vivian Lee's acne, do we really need to??? :huh:

Edited by BERIGAN

I saw it in Iceland, on its first run, and wasn't the least bit scared.

Around the same time, I saw the transformed queen in "Snow White". That really scared me. I eventually learned to accept and enjoy red apples, and now, 70 years later, I have it in Blu-Ray format (looks great, btw).

I saw it in Iceland, on its first run, and wasn't the least bit scared.

Around the same time, I saw the transformed queen in "Snow White". That really scared me. I eventually learned to accept and enjoy red apples, and now, 70 years later, I have it in Blu-Ray format (looks great, btw).

I once watched it in a theater after eating a bunch of hash brownies. Thought it was one of the most brilliant movies of all time. When it went to colour: Wow!

I have a friend who dropped acid and saw it at the Ziegfield. He said up to that point in his life his parents didn't have a color TV so when he saw it at home he thought it was black & white for the whole film. So when when the movie went to color in the theater under those conditions...Yowsa!

• 4 years later...