Big News - Wolfgang's Vaults Acquires Newport Jazz Audio Library

Mark Stryker

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/11/arts/mus...ml?_r=1&hpw

I trust this news will be of interest: Wolfgangsvault.com (a site I was previously not aware of) has acquired tons of previously unissued historic Newport tapes and starting Wednesday will post free streams from 1959, beginning with Basie, Blakey and Dakota Staton and continuing in the next week with Monk, Horace Silver, Ahmad Jamal, Joe Williams. The story says hundreds more could be online in the future.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the link to the NY Times article - we can expect to be able to listen to and/or purchase hundreds of the live recordings made at the Newport Jazz Festival dating back to 1955. Until 17 November, Blakey, Basie and Dakota Staton are available at the site. Many more to be added on 17 Nov!!!!

Here is the link to the article in the NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/11/arts/mus...ref=todayspaper

Here is the link to Wolfgang's Vault's section featuring Newport Jazz Festival recordings:

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/concerts/sup...ewport-jazz.htm

Of special interest to many here at organissimo (and certainly to me) is the Art Blakey Jazz Messengers offering, 4 July 1959 with:

Lee Morgan!!!! (a few days shy of 21 years of age)

Hank Mobley!!!!!!!

Bobby Timmons!!!!!

Jymie Merritt!!!!!

I feel so fortunate to live during this time when so much historical audio and video jazz is available for us to enjoy.

Marla

I might have felt more fortunate to have lived in a time when so much historical jazz was available for us to enjoy live, but I get your point.

I sure understand and I've often wondered what it would be like to have walked into Minton's to hear hear Monk, Diz, Eddie Davis/Johnny Griffin, etc. Or, to hear Coltrane at The Five Spot with Monk. Or to hear Bird, Diz, Mingus, Bud Powell and Max Roach at Massey Hall. I'm just overjoyed to capture these moments in time here and now.

Thanks so much and I'm sorry to have started a second thread on this subject!

Marla

Holy crap - they have a Maynard Ferguson set with Shorter and Zawinul!

Bertrand.

the whole line-up of that Ferguson band is surprising imho (Dunlop, Ford, Greenlee, Ellis, ...); playing it now...

Maynard Ferguson - trumpet, conductor

Don Sebesky - trombone

Slide Hampton - trombone

Charles Greenlee - trombone

Jerry Tyree - trumpet

Don Ellis - trumpet

Chet Ferretti - trumpet

Jimmy Ford - alto sax

Wayne Shorter - tenor sax

Willie Maiden - tenor sax

Frank Hittner - baritone sax

Joe Zawinul - piano

Jimmy Rowser - bass

Frankie Dunlop - drums

Wolfgang's vault shows the following set list for the Maynard Ferguson (excluding intros):

Oleo

Newport

Tenderly

Mark Of Jazz

Three More Foxes

The Library Of Congress site has:

Unidentified composition based on tune by Charlie Parker

Newport

Tenderly

The Mark Of Jazz

Three More Foxes (Incomplete composition)

Three More Foxes (Complete composition)

I haven't had a chance to listen yet. Can anyone confirm that the first track is 'Oleo'? Is 'Oleo' based on a Bird tune? If so, which one?

Thanks,

Bertrand.

Wolfgang's vault shows the following set list for the Maynard Ferguson (excluding intros):

Oleo

Newport

Tenderly

Mark Of Jazz

Three More Foxes

The Library Of Congress site has:

Unidentified composition based on tune by Charlie Parker

Newport

Tenderly

The Mark Of Jazz

Three More Foxes (Incomplete composition)

Three More Foxes (Complete composition)

I haven't had a chance to listen yet. Can anyone confirm that the first track is 'Oleo'? Is 'Oleo' based on a Bird tune? If so, which one?

Thanks,

Bertrand.

sure sounds like Oleo to me...

Holy crap - they have a Maynard Ferguson set with Shorter and Zawinul!

Bertrand.

the whole line-up of that Ferguson band is surprising imho (Dunlop, Ford, Greenlee, Ellis, ...); playing it now...

Maynard Ferguson - trumpet, conductor

Don Sebesky - trombone

Slide Hampton - trombone

Charles Greenlee - trombone

Jerry Tyree - trumpet

Don Ellis - trumpet

Chet Ferretti - trumpet

Jimmy Ford - alto sax

Wayne Shorter - tenor sax

Willie Maiden - tenor sax

Frank Hittner - baritone sax

Joe Zawinul - piano

Jimmy Rowser - bass

Frankie Dunlop - drums

A very similar band can be heard on the Birdland album (reissued on CD by Blue Note), the only difference I notice (going from memory) is Carmen Leggio instead of Shorter.

The $48 annual fee gets you $50 in free downloads plus discounts on all other downloads. If they are going to be putting up more quality stuff like this, it might be worth it.

I wound up getting the MP3 rather than FLAC version of one of the Weather Report shows just because I thought I was too technologically stupid to move FLAC into iTunes. It doesn't sound so good, but I'm not sure that show sounds all that great anyway (the Music Inn one). The Cornell one, which was MP3 only, sounds just fine. Killer show, too bad it's incomplete.

Bertrand.

Is 'Oleo' based on a Bird tune? If so, which one?

Oleo is based on "rhythm changes", which is a general term for tunes written over the chord changes to Gershwin's "I Got Rhythm". Bird (as well as many other beboppers) composed many tunes over this progression including Anthropology (aka Thriving from a Riff) and Moose the Mooche. These are often referred to as "contrafacts", meaning tunes written over an existing chord progression. Other non-rhythm change contrafacts from that era are Donna Lee (Back Home in Indiana) Ornithology (How High the Moon) Groovin' High (Whispering) and Half Nelson (Ladybird), to name but a few- there are a ton of 'em. I think we have a thread on contrafacts somewhere around here.