Big News - Wolfgang's Vaults Acquires Newport Jazz Audio Library

Mark Stryker

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

The Monk Newport 59 concert (available as download) has been released on LP (180gm) by Wolfgang's Vault - my copy arrived today (it's being given away with WV subscriptions - still had to pay for shipping to Australia though)

I don't think you can buy it outright from the site.

Dig the cover.

59768_10152549807965046_376044413_n.jpg

• 7 years later...

I've just downloaded some of the Ellington (Newport 1968 and Congo Square 1970)  and a Basie (Newport 1959) but they are only now offering mp3 downloads. I don't suppose anyone has flac downloads of these or any of the other Ellington or Basie concerts in flac form?

Thanks

Denis

I gave up on them years ago. Used to be you could pay on a per-item basis (fair enough, right!), then you had to subscribe (all or nothing, BOO!!!!) to do ANYTHING, so i said fuck 'em and haven't been back for years.

Before that, though, I got (paid for) two memorable Newport gigs - Cecil Taylor with Bill Barron, and Maynard with Wayne Shorter. Both are exceptional, and recommended

For the Maynard, don't short yourself by falling into the "oh, Maynard Ferguson, high note trumpet, yuck" bullshit. That didn't come for many decades later. Not saying there aren't high notes, there are (of course there are), but so, so SO much more.

As for Cecil w/Bill Barron...speaks for itself. Can't wait for that Bill Barron Mosaic!

Oh yeah, there's a Max thing from the late 1960s, with Odean Pope on tenor. He's a bit unformed yet, but hey, it's still Odean.

I'm wanting to say that the files I got were FLAC. Cost a few pennies more, but just a few. Don't quote me on that, though.

My recollection is the same as Jim's. But I'll add there are also (or were) excellent Horace Silver (Blue and Junior band) playing tracks from Blowin the Blues Away before the album was recorded, as well as the Mobley/Morgan Messengers in 1959, a set that doesn't appear very often I don't think.

1) Apparently Wayne did not make the Newport gig and Clifford Jordan took over. There are photos with Jordan. They also have it at the Library of Congress, I hope to listen to it one day.

2) You don't need to be a member anymore - $5 per download, no commitments. No more FLAC, just MP3.

3) They seemed to have stopped adding new titles.

1 hour ago, bertrand said:

2) You don't need to be a member anymore - $5 per download, no commitments. No more FLAC, just MP3.

Hi -

I signed into the site and clicked around, but I can only find 30-second samples, offers to become a member and receive unlimited streaming, and links to download their mobile apps. 

Please help me access the $5 download option.

Thank you.

10 hours ago, JSngry said:

It's definitely Wayne on the show I got. Couldn't be anybody else.

Jim, I would like to discuss this with you some more. There is info I cannot post here. How can I reach you?

There are photos from this gig showing Clifford though. Very odd...

11 hours ago, jay2b2 said:

Hi -

I signed into the site and clicked around, but I can only find 30-second samples, offers to become a member and receive unlimited streaming, and links to download their mobile apps. 

Please help me access the $5 download option.

Thank you.

Maynard Ferguson & Orchestra live at Newport Jazz Festival, Jul 3, 1959 at Wolfgang's

The Maynard is above as an example. There is a download for $5 button on the top right. Does that work for you?

Edited by bertrand

2 hours ago, bertrand said:

Jim, I would like to discuss this with you some more. There is info I cannot post here. How can I reach you?

PM is fine, or I think the board still has a send email function. I'm going to look for the file right now.

I just quick-sampled "Newport" from the gig, and that's definitely Wayne, could not be anybody else. Maybe the dates are snafued or something, but that's Wayne, I'd bet the contents of my refrigerator on it.

5 hours ago, bertrand said:

There are photos from this gig showing Clifford though. Very odd...

Maynard Ferguson & Orchestra live at Newport Jazz Festival, Jul 3, 1959 at Wolfgang's

The Maynard is above as an example. There is a download for $5 button on the top right. Does that work for you?

Turned out to be a browser issue - thanks for responding.

3 hours ago, Niko said:

Just a shot in the dark but since I'm curious: could it be that Bertrand talks about Horace Silver and Jim talks about Maynard Ferguson? Or is the claim really that it's Clifford Jordan w Ferguson?

AH! I really hope it's the former, because that is so not Jordan with Maynard on this recording. Damn near impossible.

Crap, yes, Jim is talking about Maynard, I was talking about Horace.

Definitely Wayne with Maynard.

I was hoping Jim had the Silver concert. Dang. The only way to hear that is at LC. Maybe next year.

I found a flyer showing Wayne was scheduled for Newport with Horace, but here is the evidence that it is Jordan:

1) LC says so

2) The review in Downbeat says so

3) The Burt Goldblatt book says so

2) and 3) are irrefutable, I think. 1) not so much, don't get me started...