Big News - Wolfgang's Vaults Acquires Newport Jazz Audio Library

Mark Stryker

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Newk played Newport w/Hawk, right? I've seen traders lists that have it. But it seems to be a "high level" item in terms of what you have to be able to offer to get it, which leaves a bottom feeder like me SOL. And I've never done the bit-torrent thing, so if/when that comes to pass on this site, it will be a happy day.

Yes, Newk and Hawk played at the 1963 Newport festival. With Paul Bley, Henry Grimes and Roy McCurdy.

Rollins played three tunes (two with Hawk). One of them (All the Things You Are) was issued on Italian boots!

Wolfgang's Vaults have not touched the Newport 1963 festival yet bu they're adding concerts from the 1958 Festival.

Rollins appeared at the festival with a trio (Henry Grimes and Roy Haynes!). I am waiting for this concert to show up very soon :rolleyes:

The $48 annual fee gets you $50 in free downloads plus discounts on all other downloads. If they are going to be putting up more quality stuff like this, it might be worth it.

I wound up getting the MP3 rather than FLAC version of one of the Weather Report shows just because I thought I was too technologically stupid to move FLAC into iTunes. It doesn't sound so good, but I'm not sure that show sounds all that great anyway (the Music Inn one). The Cornell one, which was MP3 only, sounds just fine. Killer show, too bad it's incomplete.

Bertrand.

Bertrand,

There is a free software download called "Flac Front End" and it is easy to use and you can convert .flac files into .wav hi quality CD files. I could help you with it if you change your mind and decide to purchase the .flac files. There's another free download called Switch Sound File Converter which does the same thing.

Marla

I'm waiting for the 1961 Messengers date with Shorter and Dorham for several reasons:

1) I love Shorter's playing

2) I love Dorham's playing

3) I heard 'Moanin'' and 'Paper Moon' at LC and they're killing.

4) I have a reason to believe there is a third track which I hope will show up on Wolfgang's Vault.

Bertrand.

Newk played Newport w/Hawk, right? I've seen traders lists that have it. But it seems to be a "high level" item in terms of what you have to be able to offer to get it, which leaves a bottom feeder like me SOL. And I've never done the bit-torrent thing, so if/when that comes to pass on this site, it will be a happy day.

You can listen to this same group (minus Hawk) play Three Little Words along with an interview with Hall Overton from the New School, 1963 on the JazzLoftProject website.

Edited by Michael Weiss

• 2 months later...

The Newport Jazz shows available on Wolfgang's Vault are pretty amazing. The Messengers set with Hank and Lee is incredible as I had a private recording in far worse sound and incomplete. And the Silver show, playing tunes from Blowin The Blues Away before those indelible solos were even laid down is too incredible for words. "Sister Sadie" when it was that fresh - HELL YEAH! And best of all, the Wolfgang stream, recorded through Goldwave, has no distinct improvement over the FLAC files, so I'm able to make CDRs of these shows that sound excellent. Signal-to-noise is way up there because for whatever reason, the stream comes into my soundcard very loud and like I said, the stream may be lo-fi but my wife who has excellent ears couldn't tell a difference when I A/B'd the FLAC and the stream.

So ... this is all to say that I've really enjoyed these and have been hoping that they'd start adding to the 1959 recordings. And now they finally have. The new recordings are:

The 1960 Louis Armstrong set - over an hour

Louis Armstrong - trumpet, vocals

Billy Kyle - piano

Barney Bigard - clarinet

Trummy Young - trombone

Mort Herbert - bass

Danny Barcelona - drums

The 1960 Dizzy set - no further information but its 55 minutes long.

And an intriguing afternoon lecture/demonstration show, Goodbye Newport Blues:

Langston Hughes - narrator

Muddy Waters - guitar, vocals

Otis Spann - piano

Tal Harris - guitar

Andrew Stevens - bass

James Cotton - harmonica

Francis Clay - drums

John Lee Hooker - guitar, vocals

Sammy Price - piano

Lafayette Thomas - guitar, vocals

Betty Jeanette - vocals

Dave Pochonet - drums

Butch Cage - violin

Willie Thomas - guitar

Special guest:

Jimmy Rushing - vocals

Dr. Harry Oster - commentary

I think I'm going to stream the blues show first.

Just read through the description of that afternoon lecture/demonstration - Conover comes on to announce that the previous night's riot has forced the cancellation of the Jazz Festival.

Willis Connover, Newport Jazz Festival emcee and radio host for Voice of America in Europe, then closes the proceedings on a somber note, announcing that the board of directions of the Newport Jazz Festival had voted to accept the decision of the city council of Newport to suspend activities of the Newport Jazz Festival, beginning with the evening concert on July 3. "In other words, there will be no concert tonight or…again," he told the stunned audience. This decision was made following a clash with students and police the preceeding night (Saturday) that by all reports escalated into a full-scale riot. And while this disturbance took place not at Freebody Park where the festival was held but on the main drag in the city of Newport, council members nonetheless met on Sunday morning and voted 4-3 in favor of revoking the entertainment license of the Newport Jazz Festival. As Connover explained to the Sunday afternoon crowd: "The board of directors deeply regret that the true jazz lovers were denied the opportunity to hear their favorite jazz musicians, due entirely to non-ticket holding outside the park." He added, "I think it's a shame that the Newport Jazz Festival has to be killed because a bunch of pseudo beatniks and rock 'n' roll escapees who had no interest in jazz, had no intention of coming to the concerts and were not inside the park at all, decided to use the Newport Jazz Festival weekend and the City of Newport as an excuse for giving vent to their healthy animal instincts in such a fashion as to qualify them for admission to a zoo rather than a school." Connover adds, "It does seem to me that in attempting to cure the disease that infected the Newport Jazz Festival activities, they decided to shoot the patient without clearing up the germs."

After a year on the shelf, George Wein would convince the city council of Newport to reinstate the festival for 1962.

So that makes it a cool you-are-there slice of history, too.

• 5 months later...

More Newport shows added:

Newport Jazz Festival, 7/3/64

As promised, we released an entire day's worth of music from the 1964 Newport Jazz Festival yesterday. Highlights include a Stan Getz Quartet performance of classic swing and bossa nova that also features appearances by Chet Baker and Astrud Gilberto; some big band fireworks with Count Basie and His Orchestra; a boogie-woogie infused set from the timelessly hip Mose Allison; an uplifting show from the queen of gospel-meets-jazz-meets-Chuck-Berry, Sister Rosetta Tharpe; and some trippy jazz from the George Russell Sextet. Head on over to each page to download the set and/or stream the entire day of music on this playlist.

It seems they have instituted something called Jazz Thursdays. Henceforth new jazz concerts will appear each Thursday. The remainder of July will be dedicated to the 1964 Newport Jazz Festival. In the list below you can also see what will be made available the coming two Thursdays this month.

7/2/64 (WV release date of 7/8/10)

Newport All-Stars

7/3/64 (WV release date of 7/15/10)

Sister Rosetta Tharpe

George Russell Sextet

Count Basie & His Orchestra

Mose Allison

Joe Williams

Rod Levitt Octet

Stan Getz Quartet

Ethel Ennis

7/4/64 (WV release date of 7/22/10)

Oscar Peterson Trio

Max Roach Quartet

J.J. Johnson Quartet

Dave Brubeck Quartet

7/5/64 (WV release date of 7/29/10)

Freddie Hubbard

Ruby Braff

Ben Webster

Oscar Brown

Jackie Moms Mabely

Dizzy Gillespie

Sarah Vaughan

Jimmy Smith

Edit: The two items in red were listed in advance, but didn't turn up.

Edited by Swinging Swede

• 3 weeks later...

It seems they have instituted something called Jazz Thursdays. Henceforth new jazz concerts will appear each Thursday. The remainder of July will be dedicated to the 1964 Newport Jazz Festival. In the list below you can also see what will be made available the coming two Thursdays this month.

7/2/64 (WV release date of 7/8/10)

Newport All-Stars

7/3/64 (WV release date of 7/15/10)

Sister Rosetta Tharpe

George Russell Sextet

Count Basie & His Orchestra

Mose Allison

Joe Williams

Rod Levitt Octet

Stan Getz Quartet

Ethel Ennis

7/4/64 (WV release date of 7/22/10)

Oscar Peterson Trio

Max Roach Quartet

J.J. Johnson Quartet

Dave Brubeck Quartet

7/5/64 (WV release date of 7/29/10)

Freddie Hubbard

Ruby Braff

Ben Webster

Oscar Brown

Jackie Moms Mabely

Dizzy Gillespie

Sarah Vaughan

Jimmy Smith

The Freddie Hubbard ain't there.

I don't know how I didn't catch the Joe Williams upload. :wub:

I wonder if the Hubbard isn't up because of trouble with the estate or other rights holders. Either way, there is more than enough up right now to make me really really really want a membership so I get $50 in free downloads, discounts on other downloads and better bit-rate streams with no limits.

There's been some question as to how much the estate/rights holders are involved. If the Hubbard is delayed due to that, then that would seem to indicate that they are doing the right thing and clearing it first. But I'm very naive about these things; there's probably a lot more to the story.

Bertrand.

One thing I can tell you is that I informed Gregg Silver about the Newport show and while he didn't say he knew about it, its still up for sale on the site. Is that a function of the slow wheels of justice or because its kosher that they are selling it, I don't know.

The big indication of a problem with estates/rights holders will be when they stop releasing new concerts or drop the whole kit and caboodle altogether.

I am going to work on the assumption that they are on the up-and-up until proven otherwise.

Forget Jazz artists for a minute - there is tons of rock on this site. Are these bands all unaware of its existence? I find that hard to believe. Some shows are available for sale, others for streaming only. There must be a reason for that.

Bertrand.

That's part of why I think its legit, because a lot of those bands or their labels are probably pretty aggressive about rights issues. And yet, I've been told by one of the Dime moderators that because they've been told by at least one of the "popular" artists that he hasn't seen a dime from Wolfgang that they regard any Wolfgang-sourced concert as fair game for upload.

That's what got me concerned enough to try to contact whoever is handling Horace's interests and that's how I got the response from Greg Silver.

• 2 weeks later...

More uploaded today, this time from the 1969 festival - July 3 shows.

Freddie Hubbard is finally available on a short two-song set with Junior Cook and Harold Mabern;

George Benson with Harold Ousley and some organist I've never heard of;

Anita O'Day with unknown trio accompaniment;

And for you outcats, 11 minutes of Sunny Murray with Dave Burrell and Carlos Ward among others.

• 2 weeks later...

Additions last three Thursdays:

2010-08-12:

Newport Jazz Festival 1968

Charlie Barnet & The Duke Ellington Orchestra

Duke Ellington and His Orchestra

Dizzy Gillespie Alumni Big Band

The Woody Herman Orchestra

Count Basie and His Orchestra (just the last six minutes)

2010-08-19:

Newport Jazz Festival 1969 (Dan mentioned these above)

Anita O'Day

Freddie Hubbard Quintet

George Benson

Sunny Murray Sextet

2010-08-26:

Carnegie Hall 1972 (catalogued under "Newport Jazz")

Ruth Brisbane

Philharmonic Hall 1972 (catalogued under "Newport Jazz")

Lionel Hampton & His Orchestra