ipods: is there something a non-hifi person can use

The Magnificent Goldberg

Another silly question - I've got a lot of stuff on my PC that I've ripped from CDs (either original ones or ones recorded from tape or LP) using WMP. Also stuff downloaded but not through itunes. Can I load them into itunes or will I have to do them all again?

MG

The iPod will play any MP3, but won't play Windows Media Files as far as I know. You may have to reformat them to MP3 or AAC (Apple's "lossless" format) before putting them on the iPod. With any MP3s you have downloaded, you can bypass iTunes altogether and drop them directly into the iPod.

One important thing, it's best to have your iPod set to "manual" as opposed to "automatically sync with iTunes." The automatic mode means it will automatically update your iPod to only include the files currently in your iTunes library. Personally, I keep nothing in my iTunes library because I don't want the files taking up space on my computer.

I ssem to recall that iTunes will automatically create new AAC or MP3 files from WMP files when you add them to your iTunes library. The exception is when the WMP files are copy protected. In that case, you would have to burn them to CD and then rip the CD into iTunes.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MG, once you get used to the iPod and iTunes, you might want to consider some alternative programs (for your own player) -

Some folks swear by Rockbox (3d party software), which I haven't tried. It does allow you to play Windows Media files on an iPod, among other things... (Check here for info. on other file formats.)

I love my iPods but hate iTunes (bloated, slow, etc. on Windows), so I go with Floola instead.

Its also possible to use MediaMonkey to manage and synch files, but I'd rather use Floola to do that.

Edited by seeline

Yes, just plunge in.

Two more iterations you may want to consider:

The new iPod Shuffle: It doesn't hold a lot (4 gb right now), but it's inexpensive, and, what I love is, while music's playing, you can press a button on the headphones and a computer voice tells you the track name and artist. It's wonderful at work; before, I used to pull the iPod out all the time to see what track was playing. This is much more unobtrusive. I also think the voice is really cool (although it insists on reading all Stan Getz tracks in French).

The new iPod Touch: While the iPod Classic holds more (160 gb vs. 64 gb), the iPod Touch has wifi and a web browser. This makes it more versatile: in a wifi setting, you can surf the web, send emails and make phone calls.

Apropos cradles, I have 2 for my iPods...

This one does not have a radio

iPodamp.jpg

This one does

iPodradio.jpg

Both also work with my little clip-on shuffle, come with a remote, and can be plugged into my TV to run movies or stills.

I have to confess that making selections is a bit awkward, especially if one has a massive file, but I like to be surprised, so my Pods tend to shuffle for me, as it were. :

so what are you using? what earphones? what portable media player?

He's using a Cowon http://www.cowonglobal.com/

I have the Cowon D2 which doesn't have much memory (16 GiB, it's a flash player) but supports the formats I'm using and has nice recording capabilities (line-in, mic and FM radio). Downside: the recorded sounds can be saved as WMA only - :bad:. WTF. Another plus: no special software is required to transfer music and other stuff to the device - a file manager or command line interface does the job but that doesn't mean you can't also use music software to fill/sync the player.

This is not meant as a recommendation; I just think it's sometimes worth it to take a look at non Apple audio players.

I too have my files backed up on external hard drives, but I don't like to have my iPod searching for that external every time I hook it up to the computer to edit. I also have over 25,000 songs on it so everything isn't backed up on a single drive...

I didn't know that about WMP files, since I'm Mac-only.

I too have my files backed up on external hard drives, but I don't like to have my iPod searching for that external every time I hook it up to the computer to edit. I also have over 25,000 songs on it so everything isn't backed up on a single drive...

I didn't know that about WMP files, since I'm Mac-only.

i'm too cheap or poor for ipods.

my recordings and radio programs are in mp3 and wmp formats on several big external drives.

i can VERY quickly load my choices for the day and delete the unwanted into my inexpensive($30)24 gig player, which runs about 50 hours on one aaa battery.

i love this inexpensive original arrangement.

Edited by alocispepraluger102

Yes, just plunge in.

The new iPod Shuffle: It doesn't hold a lot (4 gb right now), but it's inexpensive, and, what I love is, while music's playing, you can press a button on the headphones and a computer voice tells you the track name and artist. It's wonderful at work; before, I used to pull the iPod out all the time to see what track was playing. This is much more unobtrusive. I also think the voice is really cool (although it insists on reading all Stan Getz tracks in French).

The new iPod Touch: While the iPod Classic holds more (160 gb vs. 64 gb), the iPod Touch has wifi and a web browser. This makes it more versatile: in a wifi setting, you can surf the web, send emails and make phone calls.

A question about the new ipod shuffle. Do you have to use the phones it comes with or can you use your own? I'm not fond of the usual ipod phones.

Yes, just plunge in.

A question about the new ipod shuffle. Do you have to use the phones it comes with or can you use your own? I'm not fond of the usual ipod phones.

As you know, most of the controls are on the headphone cord. The following is from Apple's website:

"Headphones or other audio accessories made by Apple or a third-party that do not include an integrated remote are not fully compatible with iPod shuffle (3rd generation). iPod shuffle can still be used with these accessories, but with limited functionality.

"When a standard headphone or audio accessory is connected, you can initiate audio playback by simply switching iPod shuffle from the OFF position to the play in order or shuffle position. The iPod shuffle should be in the OFF position for at least three seconds before switching it back on. iPod shuffle will resume playback of the content that was previously being played at a fixed volume level. This volume level cannot be adjusted from the iPod itself. If iPod shuffle is connected to external speakers or a car stereo, volume adjustment may be possible from those devices.

"iPod shuffle will pause audio playback when the device is switched off or when the audio accessory is disconnected."

(This was taken from the following page: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3472

However, you should note that some higher-end manufacturers are making compatible headphones. One that I've been considering (but I want to hear them first) is the Klipsch Image S4i. You can view them here: Amazon.

I haven't read all this thread (being at work), but I repeat: Winamp, a nice and free music player for your computer, allows you to pull music back from your ipod to your HD.

I've got a 30GB ipod but probably around 200GB of MP3 files (some blogosphere rarities, but most of it my own CD rips, usually @ 320 kbs).

No need to have a huge ipod, but rather put some of it on some harddisk (my internal one is tiny, only 160GB, so I have several 750GB and 1TB HDs - FLAC files need space, you know!)

And I never used the automatic synchronisation function back when I used itunes in the beginning, as I always purged the stuff from the library there, so had that function been on, it would have wiped it each time I connected it... I never used itunes to play tunes on the computer, so there was no point in maintaining that library.

So my advice: get winamp, give some thought about how to organise your MP3 library (big enough HD in your computer? separate partition? external drive? second back-up external drive?), get any kind of player (I only have this one ipod - have had it for a about three years I guess - but it seems other players are about the same in quality and handling) and change around the music on your player every now and then...

I just checked - most of my downloads are MP3s, so itunes will play them, just like that. But my rips are .wma files and, if I import them into itunes, I get a message saying that they'll be converted to .aac format. Does that mean I wouldn't be able to play them with the WMP? Or does itunes make a different copy somewhere?

MG

I just checked - most of my downloads are MP3s, so itunes will play them, just like that. But my rips are .wma files and, if I import them into itunes, I get a message saying that they'll be converted to .aac format. Does that mean I wouldn't be able to play them with the WMP? Or does itunes make a different copy somewhere?

MG

Generally speaking MP3 to AAC isn't a good idea because you introduce a second lossy conversion.

Re WMP: scroll down to MPEG-4: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316992

I can't imagine that it would replace files in such a use case by default but do you really want to use two file formats? I don't think so. This is one of the reasons why proprietary formats like WMA suck.

As you know, most of the controls are on the headphone cord. The following is from Apple's website:

"Headphones or other audio accessories made by Apple or a third-party that do not include an integrated remote are not fully compatible with iPod shuffle (3rd generation). iPod shuffle can still be used with these accessories, but with limited functionality.

"When a standard headphone or audio accessory is connected, you can initiate audio playback by simply switching iPod shuffle from the OFF position to the play in order or shuffle position. The iPod shuffle should be in the OFF position for at least three seconds before switching it back on. iPod shuffle will resume playback of the content that was previously being played at a fixed volume level. This volume level cannot be adjusted from the iPod itself. If iPod shuffle is connected to external speakers or a car stereo, volume adjustment may be possible from those devices.

"iPod shuffle will pause audio playback when the device is switched off or when the audio accessory is disconnected."

However, you should note that some higher-end manufacturers are making compatible headphones. One that I've been considering (but I want to hear them first) is the Klipsch Image S4i. You can view them here: Amazon.

Thanks mjzee. I've been dreading having to get a new shuffle if something happens to my current one specifically because of this headphone issue. I've been using vmoda and sonix lenntek with both my shuffle and 120 gig. I'm preety happy with them. Hopefully more manufactures will come up with alternatives. Do the phones that come with the current shuffle sound any better than the older phones?

Edited by Harold_Z

Too many options. It's crap.

MG

That's the trouble with a lot of these threads. If it's for recommendations of an artist eventually almost EVERY record by that artist gets mentioned. MG, just buy an Ipod (any Ipod) and dive in. You'll work your way through the whole thing and it's a lot easier than you think. I eventually ended up with 3 of them and I think they have made listening to music on the go easier than ever.

Too many options. It's crap.

MG

That's the trouble with a lot of these threads. If it's for recommendations of an artist eventually almost EVERY record by that artist gets mentioned. MG, just buy an Ipod (any Ipod) and dive in. You'll work your way through the whole thing and it's a lot easier than you think. I eventually ended up with 3 of them and I think they have made listening to music on the go easier than ever.

Oh, all right then :D

(I do have to, for my wife, so, as Mrs T used to say, TINA.)

MG

Thanks mjzee. I've been dreading having to get a new shuffle if something happens to my current one specifically because of this headphone issue. I've been using vmoda and sonix lenntek with both my shuffle and 120 gig. I'm preety happy with them. Hopefully more manufactures will come up with alternatives. Do the phones that come with the current shuffle sound any better than the older phones?

Maybe a little. I think I notice a little more bass than I used to. I use the headphones at work (only), and I'm content with them. At home, I listen to iTunes on my computer (and I'm very happy with the program, BTW). I also have a 120 gb Classic, and I listen to that on a JBL Micro Portable Speaker Dock (see Amazon). Audiophile? No, but I find it doesn't often concern me - I get drawn into the music, which must mean that on some level it's good enough. I used to travel often on business, and I bought the JBL to play my music in the hotel room - it's very portable.

MG,

Let's back up a few steps.

How do you see your wife using the ipod? Is she the type of person that needs to have every album by hundreds of artists available to her at any given moment in the day?

Does she prefer "mix tapes"?

Does she have favorite albums that she never grows tired of and doesn't really veer outside of that comfort zone?

My advice would be to go for something like this:

http://catalog.ebay.com/iPod-nano-4th-Gene...d=p3286.c0.m271

The newest version of this player also has a video camera, which I'm assuming you all don't need?

15GB of mp3s ripped at a high bitrate is still more music than you or her will be able to get through in a week.

Once you get set up with itunes, you need to go Preferences > General > Import Settings. It sounds like it is currently set to convert/rip to AAC. If the rest of your collection is ripped as mp3, I would continue down that path. Choose the rip settings that sound best to you and forget about it.

I heard a rumour that the next generation will not only contain a music player, telephone, video camera, razor, gps, nail clip, saw (to cut off your arm if it gets under a heavy stone or a meteorite - what? you rather die than cutting off your own arm? What a sissy you are!), microwave (to dry up your little dog), umbrella, missile defense system, submarine, and it will also wipe your ass...

I guess that's about all a non-hifi person needs to know :)

MG,

Let's back up a few steps.

How do you see your wife using the ipod? Is she the type of person that needs to have every album by hundreds of artists available to her at any given moment in the day?

Does she prefer "mix tapes"?

Does she have favorite albums that she never grows tired of and doesn't really veer outside of that comfort zone?

My advice would be to go for something like this:

http://catalog.ebay.com/iPod-nano-4th-Gene...d=p3286.c0.m271

No, she's not really a music fan. Doesn't buy albums. She just likes some songs - opera, folk, pop, etc - and is sometimes prepared to spend a few pence to download one from itunes. In the past, she's had me creating mixed tapes of them for her to play in the car. No tape player in the new car though, so she wants an ipod she can load her stuff on and plug into the radio. I suspect she's the sort of buyer ipods were really made for. But she won't do it herself; so I'll have to learn. And if I'm going to learn, I'll do it better if I have my own. A small one for her, a biggish one for me :)

MG

I heard a rumour that the next generation will not only contain a music player, telephone, video camera, razor, gps, nail clip, saw (to cut off your arm if it gets under a heavy stone or a meteorite - what? you rather die than cutting off your own arm? What a sissy you are!), microwave (to dry up your little dog), umbrella, missile defense system, submarine, and it will also wipe your ass...

I guess that's about all a non-hifi person needs to know :)

gig-swiss-knife.jpg

Not sure which of those items is the ass wipe utility.