Anyone here ever purchase a Tunerless DVD recorder???

BERIGAN

Just to be clear, a standalone DVD recorder. Since I have had 2 JVC DVD recorder combos go bad this year, I need to find something else(Supposedly I will get a check from the warranty company for the one I took in, back in July) Anyway, I started checking out whats available that isn't JVC,(Of course there are not that many companies, and many just change the name on the recorder) and I am seeing many recorders come sans Tuner! Ok....

Last Christmas, after much searching, got a DVD recorder for the living room(that one died a few years back-never had a DVD recorder last more than 2 years) This one without a VHS player, since we still had one of those(Heck, was using the Super Beta as a Tuner, but it was causing sound issues on my Dad's honking 1950's JBL's) Anyway, wanted a Tuner to bypass the beta, and still have lots of inputs and outputs to hook everything up via it. Read good things about the Toshiba, and knock wood, it's been just fine.

So....to replace one of the JVCs thought I would get a combo unit from them. Then the Tunerless issue comes up again. I'm thinking, well I don't have amps and pre amps, Betas, switchers to worry about in my Bedroom....Just a TV. do I even need a tuner since we have satellite ????

Read some reviews of people getting a DVD recorder with a tuner since their TV was Tunerless! :blink: Then I see on the description of one unit Toshiba has.

Toshiba D-R410 DVD±RW Recorder!

This black DVD recorder supports recording and playback of DVD±R and DVD±RW discs with the ability to upconvert resolution up to 1080p via the HDMI connection. Turn on the selective progressive scan mode for higher image resolution and less image flickering during playback, too.

With an external TV tuner (not included), you can even record TV programs from your cable box or satellite receiver.

So....I would be buying a recorder that without that external TV tuner, and wouldn't be able to you know, record anything except old VHS tapes???? Really???? :wacko:

I am purely a layperson when it comes to this stuff. I will figure crap it out, eventually....as to how to make things work in conjunction with each other, but this sounds different to me . I did figure out that unlike what the dope DISH hired to set everything up 5 years ago, that you could have a recorder hooked up to record off air programming(Honest, the guy acted like you couldn't!)

To add to the confusion, the DISH DVR unit that provides my signal is in another bedroom, the signal is just split off to my room. Even if it was to put the recorder in the other room, would I be able to record programs off the outputs of it??? It has its own tuner, right??? Damn, why don't they just put tuners in every unit????

Thanks for any suggestions!

Edited by BERIGAN

DVD recorders are a dying breed. With the end of analog TV, it makes more sense to put the recording device into the receiver (cable or satellite reception). At the same time, it's no longer possible to connect multiple tuners to one antenna (tuner in TV plus tuner in recorder), because the splitting technology is more sophisticted with digital TV.

That's why many cable or satellite receivers now have a built in hard drive, or a USB connection for recording onto an external hard drive.

If you need the recording on DVD, you can use your PC to convert it to DVD format and burn it onto a disc.

DVD recorders are a dying breed. With the end of analog TV, it makes more sense to put the recording device into the receiver (cable or satellite reception). At the same time, it's no longer possible to connect multiple tuners to one antenna (tuner in TV plus tuner in recorder), because the splitting technology is more sophisticted with digital TV.

That's why many cable or satellite receivers now have a built in hard drive, or a USB connection for recording onto an external hard drive.

If you need the recording on DVD, you can use your PC to convert it to DVD format and burn it onto a disc.

Well, I record a lot of older films off Turner Classic Movies. Then I transfer them from the Satelite DVR to a DVD disc.

The way hard drives fail, I would hate to trust them with movies that run only every 3-4 years if that.

Does it take as long to copy a movie from the PC that way as it does to just burn a film from a disc??? Seems to take 60-90 minutes for me, and that's with a 1 year old computer, that's doing nothing else at the time!